HDTV buying advice template

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HDTV buying advice thread

BoRNTeRRI3T said:
After reading this thread , i have got 32" inch 520 series, its really good , its great Got it today
@ asingh, ur comments was really helpful for making my decision , also Teians for commenst and suggestion

nice decision! ;)
I would again stress on the fact that guys, check out the EX410 properly with some motion based stuff before buying it. I think it's fishy! lol Doesn't seem like a SONY (it is sony ofc, but the quality erm, you get my point!)

Finally my parents are looking forward to buy an led tv tomorrow:

There final Choice ended up here:

1. Samsung series 6 46C6900 --------Model2010------------------------82,000

2.Samsung series 5 46D5500 -------Model2011------------------------80,000(includes a free bluray player from samsung)

which one is the best among the two please advise? Also suggest any other brand tv on the same price lines Strictly 46 incher please.

Do i have to think abt the Samsung lottery panel policy when buying an LED

I currently have 32" LG FULL HD Lcd Tv.

I am looking forward to buying Panasonic 42X30D Plasma. Want to ask how will be viewing HD content (720p,1080p) via media player/DTH on it since its only HD ready. SD content will look better on Plasma than LCDs but want to ask specifically about HD contents.

techpal said:
I currently have 32" LG FULL HD Lcd Tv.

I am looking forward to buying Panasonic 42X30D Plasma. Want to ask how will be viewing HD content (720p,1080p) via media player/DTH on it since its only HD ready. SD content will look better on Plasma than LCDs but want to ask specifically about HD contents.

Its only the HD ready plasma that will look better ,FHD plasma are just as bad as FHD lcd .Perhaps plasma tends to mask the artifacts of SD source due to dithering nature,where as a lcd is going to highlight those artifacts because of their sharper nature.In showrooms the fact that plasma are natively dim and lcds brightness/backlight cranked up,they are going to reveal quite easily how bad the source is.

For HD content a FHD lcd is going to better then plasma such as 42X30D which have inferior contrast compared to tvs from Sony/samsung both during night and day time viewing.

Further more real world perceived contrast is much lesser then lcd,due to the fact that low end plasma have little to no anti glare measures,so their picture just washes out under ambient light hitting the screen,with really low contrast and piss poor blacks in many cases worse then IPS based tvs .

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Those who plan to buy a Sony lcd or any of their electronic products better buy it now ,since the prices will go higher due to floods in thailand majority of their products sold in india are made in thailand,some components are still made in japan whose factories where damaged in the tsunami.
Sony internationally has delayed shipping their new products.Reason being their factories and storage facilities are either submerged or heavily damaged with no scope of recovery in the near future.
Other companies effected dure to thailand floots are nikon,toshiba and honda.

sony_thai_water.jpg

Budget : Around Rs. 1 Lakh

Viewing distance : Approximately 22 feet

Sources / Inputs : HD DTH, DVD Player, Gaming Console

Grey Market purchase: No

Ambient lighting: Will be used in the living room.

No preference for brands or for technology type. Open to Plasma/LCD/LED anything.

Please advise asap. I have to make the purchase tomorrow. Thanks.

purchase tomorrow

size 40 inches

budget 40k +- 5K

distance more than 12 ft

using a USB drive to play .mkv,.avi files through it.

prices have revised as i checked out recently.

looking for the samsung 40D550 as first preference but off late seeing quiet a praise for the sony ex520 .

how does the CX420 compares to a samsung 40D550 ?

ggt said:
purchase tomorrow

size 40 inches

budget 40k +- 5K

distance more than 12 ft

using a USB drive to play .mkv,.avi files through it.

prices have revised as i checked out recently.

looking for the samsung 40D550 as first preference but off late seeing quiet a praise for the sony ex520 .

how does the CX420 compares to a samsung 40D550 ?

EX520 WILL NOT play mkv files through USB.

The minimum price I have been quoated for EX520 (40") is 60K (Plus Alarm Clock and Airtel DTH as gifts).

Also, the EX520 has a 60Hz refresh rate.

I have to buy a TV within this week and I am having my doubts about EX520 being able to handle fast

moving pictures due to the 60Hz refresh rate. Can anyone tell me if watching a football match on an EX520

will look Hazy due to the slower refresh rate? (I watch a lot of footy and dont want it to look washed up).

One of the dealers has brainwashed my dad and now my dad is adamant on buying the L42E30 (63K) which

has a 100Hz refresh rate.

Any help would be appreciated. I will go tomorrow to the dealer with a football match in a pen drive and

play it at the dealer's place to confirm my doubts/fears.

I meant i could not test the EX520in showroom because it could not natively play those 1080p .mkv files so as to test the x reality processing.
With the CX420 and the EX520 what will i be missing except the internet thing which i wont be using anyways since i do not have a wired broadband connection.

Darthcoder said:
EX520 WILL NOT play mkv files through USB.
The minimum price I have been quoated for EX520 (40") is 60K (Plus Alarm Clock and Airtel DTH as gifts).
Also, the EX520 has a 60Hz refresh rate.

I have to buy a TV within this week and I am having my doubts about EX520 being able to handle fast
moving pictures due to the 60Hz refresh rate. Can anyone tell me if watching a football match on an EX520
will look Hazy due to the slower refresh rate? (I watch a lot of footy and dont want it to look washed up).

One of the dealers has brainwashed my dad and now my dad is adamant on buying the L42E30 (63K) which
has a 100Hz refresh rate.

Any help would be appreciated. I will go tomorrow to the dealer with a football match in a pen drive and
play it at the dealer's place to confirm my doubts/fears.

If you have to buy a 100hz tv stick with sony or samsung such as EX720 and D6xxx and above series.Only these models have frame insertion based motion enhancing+backlight scanning.

I have not see 2011 lg trumotion in action but if its like the 2010 models then its really poor.

You won't have any issues with watching football on a modern 60hz tv,while the 100hz can be a bit sharper its not a deal breaker.

Gannu for eg has the samsung C650 which also has the frame insertion based motion enhancer and he rarely uses it.

Hello everyone. I am planning to buy a new TV for my parents tomorrow. So I need expert advice ^_^

1. Budget.
40k~50k

2. Viewing distance.
10ft min, 14ft max (Is a 32inch or a 40inch TV good for this viewing distance?)

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc.
PS3, USB

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV.
LED/LCD

5. Preference for brands.
Any

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market?
NO

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room.
Window to the Left, Tube Lights

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.
Nothing in Particular

After reading the last few pages of this thread, Sony EX520 series seems to be getting a lot of praise. I am planning to buy a 32inch TV or 40inch. Is the EX520 good for PS3 gaming with the 60Hz refresh rate?

^^

1) Toshiba 40PB10ZE. Its a 40 incher. Full HD.

Saw this model for 38k in Noida. And online posts suggest that the pricing for this TV has been 36k.

Looked good. Plays all movie formats via and viewing angles were good as well. 3 yrs warranty except the remote.

2) Panasonic 32D25. 32" Full HD LED TV

Offered for 38k as well. 3 yrs warranty again on all parts.

I absolutely have no idea regarding the refresh rate for ps3 performance.

I just saw these two panels as my options after going through other models, and will finalize today.

All right then as many people here vouch for either Samsung's 5 series LED or Sony's EX520 series along with their pros & cons.

Ok as every one know's that Sony's have some weird file format playing status....the .mkv format among various commonly used video formats available today can not be played on EX520.

So here comes my very basic query regarding Sony's EX520 LED Tv -
1.How to play .mkv files from external source like USB drives or PS3 or BR Players or any other console ?
2.Will HTPC run .mkv files on EX520 ?

One more query regarding latest price of Sony 40/46EX520 from Grey market - Delhi & Bangkok.
( I am still awaiting reply of my post asked from a poster on this thread about his purchase price of EX model from Bangkok along with Customs obligations. )

Regards !
Jhon

The EX520 doesn't not play mkv files from a USB mass storage device like your external HDD,Flash drive. It will have no issues displaying any known format if its played in a HTPC,Blu ray player,media player etc.

Getting if from bangkok is still cheaper then buying from the grey market,even after paying customs.

What is the customs charges can probably be levied on me for 2 set of 46EX520 if purchased from Bangkok...i have been told that Sony gives Asia Warranty for their products which are purchased from South East Asian markets...so does this entitles owners of those sets to have proper after sale service here in India .. should i keep hope of that if something goes kaput then i will get a service from Sony India centers or just relate TV sets bought from outside India as simple grey market products?

Actually i am trying to understand the custom charges ...as Bangkok and Indian custom obligations are totally different ones.....Ohh by the way prices of every electronic articles in Thailand have been rocketed up by 20 % in past 3 weeks thanks to flooding.

Regards !

Jhon

Well i not sure of the exact custom duties but it should come to around 30% or so on the purchased price minus the duty free limit.

Not sure about Sony giving a asian warranty,i doubt it will be honored in india ,i do hear about international warranty on cameras but not on lcds tvs.

Yes sony india will do a paid service if your tv does go kaput.

Thanx adder for ur inputs.

So my requirement is:-

Budget-40k

Preference-Any LCD/PLASMA

Size-42"

With manufacturer warranty

Viewing Distance- 8 feets

Should have great video quality ,will use with Media Player/HD DTH. So which all video formats tv plays doesnt matter, will use mediaplayer.

I have purchased Samsung 51D490 - 51" 3D HD Ready plasma few days ago and am extremely happy with the picture quality. The only problem is with reflection but it's not a deal breaker. 3D is also nice..saw IMAX Dolphins and Whales 3D yesterday...it was awesome :O

Bought it for 56k with 2 3D glasses free. If anyone wants any info regarding this model, let me know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back