HDTV buying advice template

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HDTV buying advice thread

Guys... looking for a LED/LCD for the living room. help me out here...

1. Budget. 65,000

2. Viewing distance.~14 to 15 feet

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc. Tata Sky HD

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV.~LED-LCD

5. Preference for brands.~samsung/sony

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market?No

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room~. light from the sides but can be controlled

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.~should be able to play HD effectively, mkv through USB is a plus.

saintsinner said:
Guys... looking for a LED/LCD for the living room. help me out here...

1. Budget. 65,000

2. Viewing distance.~14 to 15 feet

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc. Tata Sky HD

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV.~LED-LCD

5. Preference for brands.~samsung/sony

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market?No

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room~. light from the sides but can be controlled

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.~should be able to play HD effectively, mkv through USB is a plus.

Considering you got budget of 65K Rs then i will presume you want minimum of 40" so for your price limit either get Samsung D5500 or D5900 / Sony EX520 in LED TV but if you want you can easily get 3D Smart TV of Samsung D6000 in your budget with a pair of 3D glasses free.

Samsung LED's have more motion rate than Sony but Sony has better PQ which Samsung set's can match after some adjustments of settings.

Sony - No .mkv playback.

Samsung - Plays everything.

There you go. !

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

ariendj said:
SAMSUNG 40D550 40" LCD TV SERIES 5 + 1 YEAR WARRANTY | eBay

hows this deal?

the specs look fine and deal too good to resist!!:D

Very sweet price for that piece of LCD.If you are not going to abuse your LCD then you should go for it.

jhononweed said:
Considering you got budget of 65K Rs then i will presume you want minimum of 40" so for your price limit either get Samsung D5500 or D5900 / Sony EX520 in LED TV but if you want you can easily get 3D Smart TV of Samsung D6000 in your budget with a pair of 3D glasses free.

Samsung LED's have more motion rate than Sony but Sony has better PQ which Samsung set's can match after some adjustments of settings.

Sony - No .mkv playback.

Samsung - Plays everything.

There you go. !

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Very sweet price for that piece of LCD.If you are not going to abuse your LCD then you should go for it.

Thanks, And whats the hype with the samsung panel lottery?

saintsinner said:
Thanks, And whats the hype with the samsung panel lottery?

Its not a HYPE but mere CIRCUS of panel's.

Go for what you like rather than what you going to get.

jhononweed said:
Its not a HYPE but mere CIRCUS of panel's.

Go for what you like rather than what you going to get.

i see u have a sony & two samsungs, how would you rate them? Your likes and dislikes?

saintsinner said:
i see u have a sony & two samsungs, how would you rate them? Your likes and dislikes?

On default settings

SD/Cable/STB:

Sony EX520 - Rate 5

Samsung D5500 - Rate 4

HD/FHD :

Sony EX520 - Rate 4

Samsung D5500 -Rate 5

HDD/Movie & File Format :

Sony EX520 - Rate 3

Samsung D5500 - Rate 5

PQ on Motion Rate :

Sony EX520 - Rate 3

Samsung D5500 - Rate 4

I love both Sony and Samsung.So i can not give you critical view on either of them but both very nice LED TV's.

For me both are pleasing with evenly matched features but when i compare Sony EX520 & Samsung D5500 with my Samsung D6400 ......both of them feels a bit inferior and i can certainly say that D6400 is way to go if someone is not going to upgrade for 2-3 years.

Cheers !!

I have a Samsung 40D6600 & very much satisfied with its picture quality 5/5

1 Superior colors In both 720p & 1080p content this tv upscales dvd rips too

2 USB playback 5/5 format support is great mkv mp4 avi you name it will play all it also play pure 1080p bluray remuxes flawlessly but no dolby tru hd support but it can play dts hd by downscaling it to dts also aac is supported some media players don't read aac

3 3D is really good & lesser flickering compared to sony

cons you press 2d to 3D conversion button & wait if you wait to watch 3D then you wait till next year because nothing happens after conversion:rofl:

you can get the D6000 if you don't want to spend more but why I choose D6600 over D6000 its purely because slightly extra picture quality clear motion rate 400hz & a great bundle soundbar C450(for the first time HTS experience this is best really loud & powerful just carry a tranformers movie to test = 22k = free 2 3D glasses = 9k & a pack of 4 3D bluray titles of shrek 3.5k

the bundle without bluray is available if you want to consider

JJ the great said:
I have a Samsung 40D6600 & very much satisfied with its picture quality 5/5

1 Superior colors In both 720p & 1080p content this tv upscales dvd rips too

2 USB playback 5/5 format support is great mkv mp4 avi you name it will play all it also play pure 1080p bluray remuxes flawlessly but no dolby tru hd support but it can play dts hd by downscaling it to dts also aac is supported some media players don't read aac

3 3D is really good & lesser flickering compared to sony

cons you press 2d to 3D conversion button & wait if you wait to watch 3D then you wait till next year because nothing happens after conversion:rofl:

you can get the D6000 if you don't want to spend more but why I choose D6600 over D6000 its purely because slightly extra picture quality clear motion rate 400hz & a great bundle soundbar C450(for the first time HTS experience this is best really loud & powerful just carry a tranformers movie to test = 22k = free 2 3D glasses = 9k & a pack of 4 3D bluray titles of shrek 3.5k

the bundle without bluray is available if you want to consider

Surprisingly i do see those man eating sharks of SHARK Series jumping at me while doing a 2D -> 3D conversion...though i can safely run away from those considering 2D -> 3D is mere 60% to 70% of total 3D while doing conversion in comparision of playing full 3D video.

Difference b/w D6000 and D6600 is of Motion Rate and 2D->3D conversion and built in Wi-Fi of D6600 but when a set of same features of D6600 can be brought for less amount without Wi-Fi ( Talking about D6400 ) then why does Samsung skimps on not selling D6400 to Indian public is beyond my thinking.

By the way Thumbs UP to Samsung for 6 Series and with all those FREE GOODIES it makes more sense going for Samsung than Sony....

Let me quote " Man that's ELECTRONIC ORGASM at its BEST from Samsung ! "

saintsinner said:
well.. i dont need 3D at all...and with the budget...i am stuck with series 5 for samsung

Well getting stuck with Samsung 5 Series LED TV is not a bad choice either.

I do not know if Samsung D5900 is available for Indian Market but if it is then i would say GO FOR IT....or else D5500....believe me you won't regret your choice or else if you wanna play it safe ( I am more kind of adventurist ) then go for Sony EX520.

Cheers and Happy New Year too all readers of this thread / members of TE !!

jhononweed said:
Well getting stuck with Samsung 5 Series LED TV is not a bad choice either.
I do not know if Samsung D5900 is available for Indian Market but if it is then i would say GO FOR IT....or else D5500....believe me you won't regret your choice or else if you wanna play it safe ( I am more kind of adventurist ) then go for Sony EX520.

Cheers and Happy New Year too all readers of this thread / members of TE !!

sammy 40D5900vr is available in india for 59k only on flipkart Flipkart: Samsung 40 Inches Full HD LED UA40D5900VR: Television but go to a nearby showroom & bargain you can buy this at around 56k when I bought this model is available with a bluray player so don't forget to ask that

Happy New Year to all my fellow tech enclave members

Hi all. Just wanted to share with you. I recently bought LG 32LW4500 full HD 3D LED TV. I bought it from dubai. It cost me 35k including customs. I got 9 goggles, 2 3D blu ray discs, 1 mobile, wall mount bracket free with it :clap: Also the TV is made in korea :) I am happy with the purchase. It was my first 3D experience and 3D looks awesome! USB support is ok. I was able to play all non hd movies I have. But was not able to play most of the full hd movies. for some movies tv showed message that audio format is not supported and some movies did not play at all. I felt black levels are not as black as samsung. But I have read that it is because of IPS panel. I knew it before purchase so no complaints. PQ is very good, SD channels also look good (I have standard tata sky connection). Viewing angle is wide. TV volume is not loud but I guess it is the case with all LED/LCD TVs.

Looking to buy a 40-42" LCD for viewing a mix of SD & HD Content.

Getting Samsung LA40D550 for Rs.40,600 and Panasonic L42U30D for Rs.40,200.

Bought Samsung LA40C550 (AA variant) last year for Rs.46,000, was pretty satisfied apart from the back-light bleeding issue.

Now I've been to couple of stores and all I see is HN01 variant for the 40D550, and from what I've read HN01 is the Chimie Optronics variant, which is apparently crap.

Till now I haven't been able to demo the Samsung 40D550 and the Panasonic L42U30D side by side.

Having bought the 40C550 last year, I'm inclined towards the panasonic, just that its bezel is quite big.

Guys, any thoughts around the panasonic IPS alpha panel?

Guys, need some help!

1. Budget: 20k.

2. Viewing distance: 1080P

3. Source: HDMI

4. Preference: 22" LED TV.

5. Preference for brands: Sony, Samsung

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? No, I want with warranty.

Am going to use it for my PC. I don't need any special features or something like that. Just gaming.

I had an idea of Samsung 22D5003 model but its not available. Not interested in Samsung 22D5000 as it has only 50Hz refresh rate. Is there any 22" LED TV in Sony with FULL HD 1080P resolution? I don't think so.

Please suggest me a TV.

Thanks in advance.

Looking to purchase the Samsung 32D5000 from grey market. Can anyone help me with the contact number of any reputable Mumbai dealers?

m0h1t said:
Looking to buy a 40-42" LCD for viewing a mix of SD & HD Content.
Getting Samsung LA40D550 for Rs.40,600 and Panasonic L42U30D for Rs.40,200.

Bought Samsung LA40C550 (AA variant) last year for Rs.46,000, was pretty satisfied apart from the back-light bleeding issue.
Now I've been to couple of stores and all I see is HN01 variant for the 40D550, and from what I've read HN01 is the Chimie Optronics variant, which is apparently crap.

Till now I haven't been able to demo the Samsung 40D550 and the Panasonic L42U30D side by side.
Having bought the 40C550 last year, I'm inclined towards the panasonic, just that its bezel is quite big.

Guys, any thoughts around the panasonic IPS alpha panel?

The 40D550A till date from what i have seen comes with a HN01 which is the inferior SMVA panel.
You can probably increase your budget and get the D5000 which has a AMVA panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back