HDTV buying advice template

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HDTV buying advice thread

Any idea how the AOC TVs are? Being frequently advertised by Vijay Sales, Mumbai over past few weeks. ~ 17k & 19k for 32in, hd ready & full hd respectively, under exchange. Aren't AOC one of the leading brands when it comes to PC monitors? Good buy for the price?

^^ AOC is not a "leading" brand for PC monitors but one of the most popular ones, the reason not being their technical superiority but that they produce cheap displays compared to competition.

srini_nandi said:
Hi All,

Please provide your valuable suggestions for buying HD TV

1. Budget. - Appx 70k

2. Viewing distance. - 8 to 10 ft

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc. - Cable/DTH

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV. - LED-LCD

5. Preference for brands.- Sony or Samsung

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? -No

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room. - Flexible

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.- Need internet, USB features etc

I have done some research and zeroed down to two models. Sony KDL-40EX710 or Samsung UA40C6900VR in LED. are these two choices correct ? do you advice me any other models? considering the viewing distance 40 inch is better or 32 inch ? Please advice
Id look into the 50" Panasonic Plasma V series.

shantanugoel said:
^^ AOC is not a "leading" brand for PC monitors but one of the most popular ones, the reason not being their technical superiority but that they produce cheap displays compared to competition.

Oh! Wasn't aware of that. So that begs the question, are they a good value for the price - both for TVs as well as monitors? & if they are not technologically superior, are they at least durable? i.e. do they at least last as long as any of the other brands on an average? Thanks.

1. Budget. 35k

2. Viewing distance. 8 feet

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc. Tata Sky, PS3

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV. LCD

5. Preference for brands. None. Depends on performance::price.

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? Yes.

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room. Very little natural light, but a lot of yellow light.

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.

This maybe slight overkill for a viewing distance of 6 feet but have a look at LG LD460. It's a 42 inch LCD with great performance. Available for around 45k in Bangalore...

I think a 32" would be about right for the size of the room and table it'll be kept on. Just can't figure out which one to get.

32 inch would be ideal . I have a 32 inch samsung series , viewing distance is same as yours around 8 feet.
Check out Series 5 and series 4 in samsung LCD series .

I have a budget of 50K and i am looking for a TV for my bedroom. Viewing distance is about 11/12 feet. Mainly be used for TV and for Hi-Def movies. Will occasionally be used for browsing since it will be attached with a HTPC. What all can i get within this budget. Have heard a lot about V Series plasmas of Panasonic so will be interested in that. Also willing to buy in grey if the price difference it huge.

Thanks

Switch

There are nice some offers going on at TMC, Begumpet (Hyderabad) for LCD/LED TVs. Recently picked up a Samsung 46LAC750 (S-PVA) for 87k along with a 3d blu-ray player and 3 3d glasses.

Hey, I'm planing on getting our first LCD tv (the current 32inch onida seems to be getting crappier by the day)

1. Budget. - Under 60K

2. Viewing distance. - 15 ft

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc. - PS3, Tat Sky, Nokia N8

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV. - LCD

5. Preference for brands. - Samsung, Sony

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? NO

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room. - Controllable

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc. - None

1. Budget. - Under 30 K

2. Viewing distance. - 10 ft

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc. - N73, Samsung Galaxy S, Tata sky, laptop and xbox360 in future

5. Preference for brands. - Any brand

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? Yes, but preferably from a proper retailer or online

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room. - Very little white/yeallow light. I prefer a dark room. But sometimes I might have a yellow 10 watt bulk switched on.

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc. - DLNA is preferable as my phone is DLNA capable but this is def not a must have feature

orangewrath said:
Hey, I'm planing on getting our first LCD tv (the current 32inch onida seems to be getting crappier by the day)

1. Budget. - Under 60K

2. Viewing distance. - 15 ft

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc. - PS3, Tat Sky, Nokia N8

5. Preference for brands. - Samsung, Sony

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? NO

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room. - Controllable

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc. - None

Samsung LA40C630 or Sony 40EX400. Both can be availed under 60k.
hahahari said:
1. Budget. - Under 30 K

2. Viewing distance. - 10 ft

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc. - N73, Samsung Galaxy S, Tata sky, laptop and xbox360 in future

5. Preference for brands. - Any brand

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? Yes, but preferably from a proper retailer or online

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room. - Very little white/yeallow light. I prefer a dark room. But sometimes I might have a yellow 10 watt bulk switched on.

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc. - DLNA is preferable as my phone is DLNA capable but this is def not a must have feature

Samsung LA32C530 via the retail chain or the Sony 32EX400 from the grey market.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Switch said:
I have a budget of 50K and i am looking for a TV for my bedroom. Viewing distance is about 11/12 feet. Mainly be used for TV and for Hi-Def movies. Will occasionally be used for browsing since it will be attached with a HTPC. What all can i get within this budget. Have heard a lot about V Series plasmas of Panasonic so will be interested in that. Also willing to buy in grey if the price difference it huge.
Thanks

Switch
You cannot get a P42V20 in under 50k. It retails for ~60k in the retail chain. The grey market prices may not differ by 10k. Not very sure but worth a shot because this display kicks some serious butt in terms of the PQ and black levels compared to LED backlit/edgelit displays with local dimming worth a lac.

Increase the budget and grab it I'd say. Worth every penny spent.

• I have few queries about the Samsung 32LAC530/32LAC530F1R.(They are the same right?)
  • Usage will be mostly normal TV viewing (will buy airtel DTH). Viewing distance: 6-10 feet
  • Will watch a few DVD rips. Will connect my laptop occasionally via HDMI to watch 720p.
  • The price is 33.5k at my place.(Small town in TN) -> Is the price decent?
  • Also is there a way to find out whether the panel version is SSXX/ SQXX without opening the box. If i get some other panel will there be a dramatical difference Pic Quality?
  • The spec says "PC Audio In (Mini Jack)". So will i be able to connect a PC speaker like Creastive SBS A235?

^You should clear your inbox. Tried a couple of times to send a response to your PM in the morn but no go. :)

1. Yes

2. Not a problem

3.Not a problem again. But you may have to pan the screen to eliminate the thin black border. That said there is no loss in PQ when you do that.

4. Small town did you say? Then yes. Because elsewhere it retails for ~30k ex-Diwali prices. :p

5. No not in India (Asian models i.e). In the abroad, in some of the regions yes.

6. THis for PC Audio-in. i.e when you have the display connected via VGA and want the sound output from the TV, you have to connect the cable from the PC to the LCD. To use your speakers, connect it to the headphones out port.

HTH. :)

• Thanks :) Yeah noticed that inbox is full only @12PM :ashamed: Thats why came up with the post.
  • Cool den. Will go ahead with the purchase in couple of days :D
  • Comparative prices in my place of Sony EX300-31.5k and Samsung 32 B530 is 30k. So i guess ~8-10% price difference from the metros seems fine. The store says they offer free wall mounting along with TV. But don't require that.

So reg. the difference is pic quality what if i get some other panel than SSxx/SQxx then will the pic quality difference be very big ? (Might use the TV for about 8-10 yrs.:p So will move to HD STB once they become mainstream --> Guess in 4-5 years more Indian channels will go HD way)

^Comparing the spva panel alongside the other 2, there is a visible difference but otherwise nil. All the 32C530 models I have seen by far had the SSXX panel. So good luck! :)

Desecrator said:
^Comparing the spva panel alongside the other 2, there is a visible difference but otherwise nil. All the 32C530 models I have seen by far had the SSXX panel. So good luck! :)

Thats assuring.

Edit: Bah! Both boxed pieces sold out yesterday :( Only showcase piece is there and mom didnt wanna get that (SQ02 panel though) Hopefully the one that we have ordered too turns out to be a SQxx series :)

Price Rs. 33,400 :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back