Audio Headphone Recommendation - HD280 vs HD555 ?

Crazy_Eddy

Staff member
Super Mod
As the title says!

Looking at a Sennheiser HD 280 Pro for around 80/90$

Wondering whether to go in for the HD 555's instead ?

I'm aware of the main difference between the two - closed ear, open ear.

The reason I prefer the closed ear HD 280 Pro model is cause I already have a HD 202 set and enjoy the passive noise cancellation it gives me. Plus I often end up using the comp late in the nights and would not like the sound leakage to disturb others around me.

Any other good models that come to mind for around the same price point ?

P.s: Will most likely be getting these from the States.

A bit of reading at head-fi is enough to make any person go nuts :S

Most people there write off the HD555's as "dull", "boring", "snoozefest"!

Thinking whether I should just settle for HD485's instead - Chaos you owned these, how are they ? Comfort wise especially since I end up wearing headsets for 4 hours at a stretch.

I cannot compare the HD555s with others, but i can tell you that they are, definitely not 'dull' or 'boring' (i don't even understand what 'snoozefest' means :S) they are 'very good' IMO.

Head fi'ians mostly compare these with 595s and there is no doubt that they are better than HD 555s but not worth the '$100?' price difference. and as for the 485's the 555s are definitely way ahead of them.

@ Eddy

Lot of people at head-fi are bred on the high end Grados and H595/650...They wil find anyth lesser as boring...

According to Amazon HD555s are better...

They are higher in the pecking order compared to HD485 n cost more.

And in most cases more money better product especially if its from the same Manufacter...simple...lol..

I hope they are good..Im getting them on Dec 4th.

Well actually no, a lot of them arent suggesting "higher" models over the HD555's (like the 595,580,600 etc) rather they seem to be suggesting other brands like Audio Technica's A500, AKG K240s - and most do fall within the same price bracket.

Wondering whether to give the A500's a shot :D

P.s: The A500's are available from a store called Audiocubes - AudioCubes.com - Audio Gear, Electronics, Gadgets & Toys from Japan . The store is based out in Japan, and they apparently ship to anywhere. Shipping to India was 11$, in which case i'm wondering whether to order it direct to India :huh:

Crazy_Eddy said:
A bit of reading at head-fi is enough to make any person go nuts :S
Most people there write off the HD555's as "dull", "boring", "snoozefest"!

Thinking whether I should just settle for HD485's instead - Chaos you owned these, how are they ? Comfort wise especially since I end up wearing headsets for 4 hours at a stretch.

All sennheisers are boring/laid back/veiled/dark according to grado/AT fans. I've heard each one of them lately and my favorite amongst *all* of them is 650 with upgraded cabling. Among the cheaper ones, 555 is miles ahead of the rest. Grados are uncomfortable :|.

Back