Audio Headphones for office under 10K

sreenisatish

Disciple
I need some recommendations for headphones for office use. These would be my secondary headphones. I already own the Denon AH-D2000 for use at home. I don't wanna use IEMs either as they are really uncomfortable for my ears - especially the Triple Fi.

I am spending an increasing amount of time in the office these days and so, I really need a headphone for the office.

So, these are the requirements:

1. Closed

2. Good isolation and very less sound leakage - don't have a private cabin yet :p Don't wanna disturb my colleagues.

3. Low clamping force. Should be light and comfortable.

4. Under 10K

5. Preferably those which work without amping - I can think of an amp eventually though. Currently, they should work fine out of my Cowon D2.

6. Genres - All. I am not kidding. I listen to all genres - Rock, Metal, Jazz, Blues, Classical, Film - everything - except maybe for psychedelic pinky pop :p Primarily Rock and Jazz though.

7. I am ready to spend 10K - so, Sound Quality is a given.

Currently have my eye on the ATH-M50 (they look pretty sexy too). But, need inputs regarding clamping force, isolation and ease of driving.

Other inputs are most welcome.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Also to anyone who has used both the Denon AH-D2000 and ATH-M50, how big and how heavy are the M50 compared to the Denon?

M50 is a good choice for use without amp. Good isolation, light weight, SQ is very good for that price.
Out of the box it has a high clamping force, gets very uncomfortable after 15-20mins. I stretched it on my cabby for a day, now its all good , doesnt bother me a bit.
Besides PC, i use M50 with my cellphone easily drives these cans n they sound loud n clear i have to lower the volume a notch sometimes, while on ipod touch 4G the sound is low when set on max volume, not that low but ull feel u want a little more volume.

Both are really great headphones with the D2000 being more refined and controlled than the M50. M50 are purely fun headphones as well as being one of the most portable hp owing to the foldable nature. The m50 would be better in terms of portablity. Isolation wise as well the M50 would be better but this is arguable.

sreenisatish said:
Also to anyone who has used both the Denon AH-D2000 and ATH-M50, how big and how heavy are the M50 compared to the Denon?

I think you mean how small are they to the Denons.

But for some reason I wouldn't prefer a headphone in office, IEM's would be the ideal way to go. I use my SM3 in offfice or the CK10. I agree with you that the Tf10's aren't the most comfortable, for a budget of 10k i'd recommend you can either remold them into customs or sell them and get Livewires/ACS custom.

That would be better than the M50 in every possible way.

^^wont the small iem cable size restrict movement? i would suggest the m50 coiled version...perfect for office use..clamping force is a little high out of the box but it becomes ok after a few days of usage..

bennysachdev said:
But for some reason I wouldn't prefer a headphone in office, IEM's would be the ideal way to go.
My body is starting to reject IEMs these days - can't stand the vacuum created in the ear :( Having headaches.

lolflakes said:
Take a look at the Beyerdynamic DT770PRO's, awesome isolation, and extremely comfortable.
$250 Looks costly :( Out of my budget.

M50 is your only option ...its somewhat portable and easy to carry , is closed and will work nicely with cowon ( though will benefit from an amp )

D2000 are big , and you wont be able to carry them in a bag.

BUT, why not IEMs ?

M50 is a good option. Consider the Sennheiser HD25-II as well. ;).

lowest price in India- Sennheiser HD 25-1-II 0GB Price India, Sennheiser HD 25-1-II Review, Sennheiser Headphone India - Infibeam.com

If you are looking for a total fun and bassy sound , the M50 is perfect and very value for money. The clamping force on the M50 is much higher than Denon .As a result the isolation is superb but the comfort is slightly compromised for long duration usage.

EDIT :

Could also consider the D1100 from Denon but importing it via Amazon + ICCworld would cost about 12-13k minimum. Wait a sec , you already have the D2K ,why invest in Denon sound unless you really digg it and want it in portable form.

Maybe go through this thread for some insight. Some prefer the M50 whereas some prefer the HD-25. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/500591/my-very-first-headphones-ath-m50-vs-hd25-vs-hdj-2000

Back