Help breaking down the configurations of VPN and internet sharing

Manaf

Recruit
Hello Everyone,

I am new to TechEnclave, I saw couple of posts about VPN and Internet sharing, everyone has his own issues but never find an article that breaks down and explain the rules of setting up a vpn and internet sharing.

I have a vpn server uses L2TP protocol, I can connect all my PC's laptops to it and brows the internet from that VPN server, this is works perfectly fine tested with Win10, MacOS, iPhones and other mobile phones.

The idea is I wanted to setup one PC (lets call it Gateway-PC) that connects to the VPN and all other computers in the network uses that my Gateway-PC.

Here are some points:

The Gateway-PC: Win10, has 2NIC's (Wifi & LAN)-I prefer to use the LAN only for both
Gateway-PC: IP address (LAN) : 192.168.1.55/24 (DHCP but reserved IP) -GW 192.168.1.10

When Gateway-PC connects to the VPN:

VPNConnection:

IP: 172.30.75.51/24 (DHCP)
GW: 172.30.75.51
VPN server Local Address: 172.30.75.50

What I am confused about:

Should I share the VPN connection on the Gateway-PC or share the LAN ?
Static route I guess its required, but what should route now and what destination ?

Can someone break down to me and explain how this should be connected ?

Thanks in Advance.
Manaf

Manaf,
How is the Gateway PC connected to internet? If this is a router, then setup the VPN on the router. That way you need not dedicated a PC for routing and keep ot 24x7. Using a PC for routing is very inefficient way and win10 will have lot of bandwidth hogging while sharing the network. So get a good router and setup vpn on it.

Thanks Manju, I end up doing this, am awaiting for the shipment now :). My plan was to try the vpn server and if the concept actually works, then for sure wont be keeping a windows PC forever, I end up using Mac instead and it works perfectly fine so I went ahead and purchased the router.

Thanks

Buy a router which can run as a VPN client and run all the traffic via it. You do not need to dedicate a computer for this.

Secondly, ensure that your devices are patched.

Manaf, which router have you purchased? Not all the routers are compliant with the OpenVPN. Also if you plan to load third party firmwares like Tomoto or DD-WRT (which have excellent support for running openVPN), then you need to buy specific router. Also instead of hosting your own VPN, try buying the commercial ones which provide terrific support and work best if you want to view netflix, torrents, etc

Back