Help buying new laptop...from US

Styx said:
That totally depends upon what apps you're going to run. In case its just casual browsing, iTunes, movies, light photo/video editing and stuff, 2GB should suffice.
But if you're going to run Windows 7 in Parallels/VMware and simultaneously using resource heavy apps like photoshop/InDesign along with some other stuff, you probably would feel the need for more RAM.
I guess 2GB will be good for now..
Just in case, how much does a 2GB RAM stick for laptop cost?

EDIT: How good are refurbished models offered at Apple's website? They defective in some way or what?

^ On the EDIT: I read in some forum, that the refurbished models are out of stock :p

OT: Total mac praise :rofl:

IMHO, $ 300 bucks extra in 3-4 years in the US isn't really a big deal. But converting that into Indian money, it seems a big deal. But, you get amazing service in the US, doubt if we get that kind of service in India.

I read that in the UK, a guy bought a mac, and in one week's time Apple released new laptops, so he checked with the store, they replaced the harddrive and gave him a brandnew laptop. Doesn't happen with any other product ;)

McAgnel said:
^ On the EDIT: I read in some forum, that the refurbished models are out of stock :p
A refurbished MBP was available for $999 when I checked in the morning...its gone now..but then wanted to know about the refurbished models..
McAgnel said:
IMHO, $ 300 bucks extra in 3-4 years in the US isn't really a big deal. But converting that into Indian money, it seems a big deal. But, you get amazing service in the US, doubt if we get that kind of service in India.
Seriously... 15k extra a lot, it better worth be ever penny:)
Apple is told to have the best customer support and service but I doubt if its of same level in India...I hope I am wrong:ashamed:

harish_21_10 said:
I guess 2GB will be good for now..
Just in case, how much does a 2GB RAM stick for laptop cost?
A 2GB Stick costs around 50$. But because the MacBook Pro comes with 2X1GB RAM, you'll have to buy 2x2GB when you decide to do the upgrade.

Crucial 2X2GB is around $110 on Amazon.com

harish_21_10 said:

EDIT: How good are refurbished models offered at Apple's website? They defective in some way or what?

Well, Apple refurbs go through extensive testing process and have faulty parts replaced with new ones, so buying from the refurb store definitely a great option if you're looking to save some money.

From Apple's website:

Before we put a refurbished Mac, iPod, iPhone, or Apple TV up for sale in Special Deals, it undergoes a rigorous refurbishment process to make sure it's up to Apple's tough quality standards. We back it with our standard one-year limited warranty. And you have the option of purchasing an AppleCare Protection Plan for it.

Apple Refurbs FAQ from Apple.com:

(1)What are Apple Certified Refurbished Products?

Apple Certified Refurbished Products are pre-owned Apple products that undergo Apple's stringent refurbishment process prior to being offered for sale. While only some units are returned due to technical issues, all units undergo Apple's stringent quality refurbishment process.

Each Apple Certified Refurbished Product:

• is fully tested (including full burn-in testing).
  • is refurbished with replacement parts for any defective modules identified in testing.
  • is put through a thorough cleaning process and inspection.
  • is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, new boxes, etc.).
  • includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system. See each products "Learn More" for more details.
  • is given a new refurbished part number and serial number.
  • is placed into a Final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock.

Refurbishment procedures follow the same basic technical guidelines as Apple's Finished Goods testing procedures.
(2) What should I expect when I purchase an Apple Certified Refurbished Product?

• Substantial savings
  • A fully functional unit with complete documentation
  • The assurance that the unit meets Apple's premiere quality standards, and that its defective components have been replaced by genuine Apple components

(3)Can I purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan for my Apple Certified Refurbished Product?

All Apple Certified Refurbished Products are covered by Apple's One-Year Limited Warranty. For extended coverage, you have the option of purchasing the AppleCare Protection Plan with your Apple Certified Refurbished Product. The AppleCare Protection Plan extends the complimentary coverage on your Apple Certified Refurbished Product to up to three years of world-class support for Mac, and up to two years of world-class support for iPod, iPhone, and Apple TV.

Even if you're looking to buy from the refurb store i'll suggest you to wait till the refresh as older models end up being in refurb carrying even higher discounts.

Thanks for the info there Styx...will be surely waiting for the refresh, if it happens before May...just wanted some help with refurbished products as they do give some cool discounts...

Back