Help choosing an inverter ac

intelfanboy

Disciple
Hey guys,

I am writing in from Chennai , we have been using a Voltas Vertis from 2003 onwards .
For ten years it has been doing it's job splendidly so well(touchwood). The electricity bills have been running up as high as Rs.4k per month and will worsen as summer sets in ...

So i've decided to go in for a inverter air conditioner to curb the resources spent on electricity..

I need help with the following :

1. The usage would roughly average around to 6-8 hours per day, is it wise to go in for an inverter ac?

2. Which brands to consider ?

Provided the brands have good reputation,after sales service and most of all quality and reliability!

3.The room is approxinately 200 sq ft.
Will an 1.5ton suffice ?

Kindly reply and help by suggesting suitable brands and models also prices if possible .

Thank you :)

Hello. First of all the Rs 4k bill wont be just for the AC but for all the equipments you use. One AC say if it consumes 1.5 units per hour then for 8 hours it would consume around 12 units of power. So in one month the electric bill from the AC would be around 1800-2100 depending on the cost of electricity. Now an inverter AC claims it would reduce power consumption by 30% so from this 1800-2100 you can expect a saving of around Rs.500. If you are planning to buy inverter AC purely to save a lot of money and it would reduce power consumption drastically then an inverter AC wont suffice your requirement.
Inverter ACs have other advantages like it can run on lower power, need a smaller unit compared to a regular AC and give continuous cooling as there is no cut off / on but it purely maintains the cooling at a particular temperature due to which the power consumption reduces. Hence say first hour it might use all the 7-9 amps of power but once the room cools the invert AC might just pull say 3-5 amps of power, thus reducing the electric consumption.

I have been using the Sharp Invert AC and its great. I also have the Voltas AC (the 5Star one) and that does its job equally well though definitely it would consume more power than the Sharp one.
Yes my room is also appx 200sqft on the first floor with no other room on top so its exposed to direct sunlight most of the time and we have the 1.5T Sharp Invert AC installed which works well.

The other good brands that do a good job of cooling are Mitsubishi Heavy Industry, OGeneral, Panasonic.

Always remember buy the AC from a company that manufactures it and not simply buys it in bulk, labels it and sells it.

Inverter Ac reduces power consumption by 30%.
Use panasonic AC I am not saying that you don't trust other brands. I am using the brand getting low bill that's why I suggest you.

I am using LG inverter split AC 1.0 TON since past one year. Cooling is excellent and from the bills i can conclude that it doesn't appear to consume too much electricity. i earlier had hitachi 5 star window ac and there has been a definite savings when i switched over to inverter ac.
on an average you can expect a min. savings of rs. 500 per month for your usage. also consider use of power saver which u get for approx. rs 1500 in market. u can save on power consumption of inductive devices such as fan, ac, fridge etc.

hope this helps.

I am looking for a 1.5 ton inverter air conditioner as well. Guys please suggest exact model numbers with their approximate prices as every company has like 10 models for inverters.

Thanks.

also consider use of power saver which u get for approx. rs 1500 in market. u can save on power consumption of inductive devices such as fan, ac, fridge etc.
Not sure if this is legal. Anything that creates tampering of output after the electric meter is as per Electricity Law illegal. The only device that one can attach with the permission of electric company is the Servo Stabilizer. Other than that I am not sure if there are any other methods that are legal. The device you have mentioned basically conditions uneven electric signals due to which you might get lower readings. I believe you need to first ask your electric company if the device is legal or not because if caught the fines are heavy. Preferably even if they verbally say yes, do take a written approval from them by writing a letter to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if this is legal. Anything that creates tampering of output after the electric meter is as per Electricity Law illegal. .

This device is approved by government & BEE as claimed by manufacturer. it basically optimizes the power factor (cos Ø) and reduces heat generation in inductive devices. this feature is sometimes inbuilt in the appliance eg. you get SMPS with PFC (power factor correction). This basically does the same thing, but it does it to all the applicances in the housewhich inherently lack this feature. So I anticipate this shouldnt be a probelm.

This device is approved by government & BEE as claimed by manufacturer. it basically optimizes the power factor (cos Ø) and reduces heat generation in inductive devices. this feature is sometimes inbuilt in the appliance eg. you get SMPS with PFC (power factor correction). This basically does the same thing, but it does it to all the applicances in the housewhich inherently lack this feature. So I anticipate this shouldnt be a probelm.
Well can you provide company manufacturing this as well as if they have website etc. I need to check this. Its not permitted in some countries, but I could buy one and check with my electric company if this stuff is legal or not. As far as Electricity Law in India goes, most likely this is illegal.

I checked the link. This is a legal device as it does not do any modifications to the electricity. What it does it shows which equipment consumes how much power so you can make necessary adjustments. Like most households focus on items like AC or TV or Lights or Fans to save power. But are you aware that even 4-5 star rated refrigerators consume anywhere from 3-5 units or more per day! That would be close to 1200-1500 units of electricity just for the refrigerator. Hence the device link that you have sent is just an electricity measuring equipment and totally legal and nothing wrong in using it.

@tusharch one option is - check out powersaverindia dot com.
Ok I checked this and though I am no expert I would say this device will not reduce any power bill. If it really would save close to 40% power as claimed the electric company would be the first to install such a device at each and every household that too for free. Why? Because India is a power deficit country and there are not enough power plants to suffice requirements of all. Even the device manufacturer sells the device at around 1000 Rs. On the site they have mentioned that it takes between 6-12 months to recover the money which is around Rs. 100 per month appx. A regular household would consume electricity of around Rs. 2000 so technically speaking even they say it might save power of 5% and not 40% as claimed! In reality I doubt if it would really save any power in the first place. I hope some electric engineer or some expert in electricity / electrical equipments throw some light on this but according to me this is a useless device and you wont be able to recover even the Rs. 1000 that you spend on the device!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry guys was held up with work...,

The brands i considered were (not in any particular order)

• Hitachi
  • Daikin
  • Sharp
  • O General
  • Panasonic
From the above ,

Hitachi was dropped due to non availability of inverter models.

Sharp was also dropped due to small market presence and worries due to future service and spares availability(i.e, after 5-6 years. When the warranty ends.)

With Daikin There were 3 models with three different refrigrants (R22,R32 & R410a) , the price ranging the lowest for the R-32 and R-32 and maximum for R-410a.
Apart from R410a the other two gases are banned in other countries and in India their usage will stop by 2015.....
Also Ambihant Enterprises hinted that the quality of Daikin has reduced drastically after localisation and now many parts are from China rather than Japan , I s this true ?

I snow have have two contenders :

O General (AS 18 JCC)

Panasonic Chrome (CS-A18PKY)

On comparing certain key aspects , such as:

Moisture removal : Both PS(Panasonic) and OG(O General) have equal values. 2.8 l/h

Running current :ps :7 A. OG :6.6.

Air Circulation:

It is the amount of air it can circulate right ?
Can someone help me with which one is better in this criteria.

I am currently leaning towards O general and the dealer had recommended me Crystal(1.5T) from Panasonic..., if there are any other options and any more considerations i should take into please feel free to suggest them..

Buying in Grey or from Main delaer( Rathna Fan House), which is better and safer ?

Please help !
:)

Back