HELP: Choosing right programming language

jobinjv

Disciple
During college days our batch collected data of all in the same batch and wanted to build a database. While the database should contain permanent datas like names, dob, fav things n stuff. There should be a coloumn where present contacts can be added.

Could someone help me decide which language i could use so that i can achieve. If any have played Football manager, i was looking at something like that. I believe that uses XML. But what should i use as database.

The main thing of all i have no depth knowledge in any programming but being a computer graduate jus know the basic.

Pls help.

xml aint no programming language. So that is ruled out, you could use it to persisit the data you mentioned along with the metadata. In your case though i dont see any obvious usage of XML. So i'd reckon you stick to traditional DB design methods and use a prog lang like c#/java that u're familiar with.

With C# if u'r using the VS ide u'll have da datasets ready and much of coding effort will be saved.

Thanks for that quick reply. Since i moved on to Networking i have never looked at programming , So is it easy to do being a noob in programming.

Some go to learn some for a degree;) I was never too mush into programmin did it jus to clear.

Nehow lookin at some JSP tutorials..

do you use MS Office ?
;)
Maybe give MS-Access a Try, and then use ASp.Net. (Visual Studio Express editions are free download from Microsoft.)
it shouldnt take lot of time if u know atleast some programming.
just drag-drops.

shotgun said:
do you use MS Office ?
;)

How demeaning!! :p

Anyhow its not that i donno anythin. Got basic in VB, Java, C++ n all. But took to Cisco and left all the programming.

But now felt like completing the project started in college.

lol ...
didnt mean offence..
if you already know the basics of programming, use ASP.Net, write minimal code, and you are all set.
most likely, you might find code snippets if you google a bit.
:)

BTW, XML can "Also" be used as ur data source, and its just that that would become a file oriented data source.

hope this helps.

Ok.. Can i be helped in categorizing it a bit like, Front End (there are profile picture), Database, and all.

Second, there are videos so would it be a better idea to convert to flv and embed it and also how to create a slideshow for all the data.

Third thing a search engine.

1. Front End - ASP.Net
DB - SQL Express OR MS-Access
Dev tools - MS Visual Studio Express editions (I think its Web Developer)

2. This is litttle bit complex, and there are other ways of doing it.
but try this -> ASP.NET Extensions > ASP.NET Controls for Silverlight > MediaPlayer Control > Walkthrough: Adding Video or Audio Media to a Web Application

3. if it is fixed item's (i.e. Name, Contact Number etc) being used for searching, then its simply writing SQL queries for search. If you want to search based on content, it will be a bit different.

4. take a look at
Personal Site Starter Kit : The Official Microsoft ASP.NET Site

Thanks Shotgun.

Though reading through all the post I kinda get the feeling that it is lead to a web site creation. My need is something that can jus resides on a user system or USB drive.

dude i told u go the vc# way, use datasets, simple bindings to grids n other contrls on ur forms n u'll be through. Shouldnt take long to learn.
MSDN is a good friend.

Firstly, what format is the present data in?

I would say, use something like sqlite if you just want to have the db in just a file. Or you can use MS access as you can create simple CRUD feature on top.

If using sqlite, there are quite a few ways. Im sure most of the languages like Java, python, tcl etc have sqlite connectors. I mainly work on Python so I can vouch for it.

You can use dabo or Django and build pretty good apps(like what you need) in couple of days (or even less). If you just want a desktop app kind of thing, you can use dabodev to build the app and then repackage it just as a client application.

I havent done any search, but there might be some pretty easy to use access kind of apps built on top of sqlite. Just google it and see.

On the easier end - Why not use Excel or even better - google spreadsheets??

Phew...
Windows App is even easier. Everything remains same. instead of ASP.Net, just use VB.Net or C# to build a Windows Forms Application.
infact. Access 2007 might have some features to develop forms to represent data. but since you mentioned that You want it to reside on USB, I will suggest develop a windows application, and use MS Access OR XML file as your data source.
choose a language/platform based on your comfort level.

Thanks Guys. A very helpful forum. I will just explain the things a bit more.

random2 said:
Firstly, what format is the present data in?

Data in word format.

shotgun said:
Phew...
Windows App is even easier. Everything remains same. instead of ASP.Net, just use VB.Net or C# to build a Windows Forms Application.
infact. Access 2007 might have some features to develop forms to represent data. but since you mentioned that You want it to reside on USB, I will suggest develop a windows application, and use MS Access OR XML file as your data source.
choose a language/platform based on your comfort level.

VB.net I have done somewhere, C# i don feel too well, but which one would be suggested. I am ready to study any for this. Won't XML be better than Access, just askin not suggesting.

Jus for a small idea, I wan the front end somewhat like this.
Where instead of the load game and stuff in the center goes links like profile, photos and videos. The credits and quit stays and if possible the preference where the screen size can be adjusted to add spice to the app :ashamed:

The list of names should look somewhat like this.
Where in the place i put 1 could be quick links to videos photos and exit n stuff. In place where the position is shown where the department to which the person belonged can be put so that it can be sort either by department or names alphabetically.

Finally the profile page.
Where the name details goes below the pic and on the side other details. below in the Selection detail part the permanent contacts and in the box that shows statistics others can input the present contacts of others n update it them selves which gets saved when exited.

why the screenshot cos i got the idea to do the stuff again after playin this.

So which program to do this and play the videos which are in all sorts of format now.

Another thing, I presume everyone has played some game or the other so when a game is opened say any EA Game its welcome with a EA screen and sound. We lost a friend and our idea was that along in the start up his pic be shown, which can be seen and for other jus pressing the escape button to jump straight to menu.

Any Help ???:huh:

To play the video you may require to use third party API's. I would suggest you to use JSP/Servlets/Java Beans along with struts framework. Netbeans would be the perfect IDE for developing such an application. You can use MySQL as backend. I am not so sure as to how one can read MS word format.

Even though Java is usually preferred it has a higher learning curve. If you want to make your application very good then I suggest you spend a little time and learn JSP,Servlets and Java beans.

dude, just convert the word file to something like XML/ msaccess db/spreadsheet and then u'll have world at your footsteps with odbc/oledb or xml parsers.

Back