Graphic Cards help deciding a graphic card

extol

Disciple
hey guys,

my friend is buying a budget gaming PC and needs help deciding the graphic card below are his specs :

CPU - E7500 core2duo 2.9ghz

mobo : gigabyte g41

ram: 4gb

HDD : 1TB

PSU : gigabyte superb 460W

Graphic card budget : 6-7k

i suggested him a 4850 or gts 250

please suggest any cards with make and memory...are there any good DX11 cards in this budget

primary use will be playing all latest games and the games in the coming year with atleast medium settings.

Thanks ur inputs appreciated

Try to get a HD 4870. If you can get 1GB version for around 9K, go for that.

You are set for one year with this graphics card. You will easily max out at least 75% games with HD 4870. Games like stalker and Crysis will run fine with a little less details.

If your aim is only 720P, then stick to gts 250 or 4850 or possibly 5670 or 5750....

If you are thinking of getting 4870, then go for 5770, as it offers equal performance without as much heat dissipation and very low power consumption.

Check out some reviews before coming to a conclusion. Reputed sites:
Tomshardware.com
overclockers club
guru3d
fudzilla
and some others......

Its a tough call at the 6,000 mark. While the HD5670 offers much lower power consumption and is DX11 ready, it still looses by a very big margin to HD4850 and the GTS 250, but then again they run very very hot compared to the former. Like the above poster said, google for reviews which have a test setup closest to yours and check which cards frame rates suit you the most.

thanks guys for the inputs

one more question....

in gts 250 and 4850 how much difference will it make between a 1gb and a 512mb

For that PSU ,( it can handle a 4850 ) but stick with ATI 4770 , consumes less power and not that much different then 4850 in terms of performance .

as i understand a 4850 consumes more power than a gts 250 ryte??? or its the other way round
Also need some inputs on 1gb or 512mb how much difference will it make

WRT the make of the card need help in deciding
4850 - sapphire , powercolour , ASUS?
GTS 250 - palit , zotac , .....
4770 - sapphire , powercolour , ASUS?

Go for 4770. I am at work right now, so cant pull up the benchmarks for you. Its *almost* similar to the 4850 in performance. And on cards of this range (4770, 4850, GTS 250), there is absolutely NO performance difference at 512 MB and 1GB. 1GB cards for these models are just marketing gimmicks.

Again, dont trust me, go look at the benchmarks from reputed sites. I could have provided you with the links, but I dont have time right now as I am at work. Please go thru the benchmarks.

As a thumb rule, at resolution below 1680x1050 (included), 4770 is an excellent choice. You should be able to maximise 90% of games (Console ports anyway) released till now with/without AA. Rest, crysis, stalker, NFS Shift etc. will give you some problems at highest settings, so either lower the resolution or the settings in this case......

GTS 250- ZOTAC , very good build qualty... but i hate he name zotak :p brought a 9600gt for my friend zotac , must say i am impressed consumes less power 53 degree @ idle does not go above 60 degree even after heavy gaming..
when buying go for 1gb I dont recommend old 4XXX series ddr3 nor the 250 series..
but PALIT has ddr5 based 240 series cards now which comes with 1 gb & 512 varients...
I guess all manufacturing companies will be upgrading to ddr5 based 9 series & 200 series soon..

^^ what BS :no:

OP, If you are deciding between GTS250 and HD 4850, get GTS250 aka 9800GTX+

Both cards are virtually equal in performance (some titles support GTS250 while some HD4850) and even though HD 4850 has better features (more shaders, better AA, DX 10.1 etc) Nvidia does a better job in drivers and as a result better out of box performance for new games.

If difference between 1GB and 512MB card is less than Rs 500, go for 1GB card.

Back