Help in choosingSamsung Galaxy S I9000 vs Google Nexus S

theoracle

Adept
I have been following techenclave for a few months, although this is my first post. Recently lost my Nokia X6, so looking for a replacement and thought to take a ride in the Andriod boat. Iam inclined towards these two phones currently. If you have any other suggestions please advise.

Budget: 20k (+/- 2 K)

Guys please help me in deciding between Samsung Galaxy S I9000 and Google Nexus S

The plus point I see for Samsung Galaxy S I9000 are
+ Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen
+ Higher resolution video (HD recording)
+ FM (Not a major factor)
+ BlueTooth 3.0 (Not really matter to me)

Also looks like we can upgrade this one to Andriod v2.3.

Google Nexus S:
+ Will always get the best support from Google and all latest patches for Andriod.
+ Slightly better talk time.

From Letsbuy I can see that the price difference is around 3K, so is it worth spending extra 3k a for galaxy?

Also advice me on the upgrade path for Samsung Galaxy S I9000 and if this device is supposed to get any further Andriod updates .

galaxy 3? you mean galaxy s right?
If nexus s can get ICS, then definitely SGS can also run ICS, not officially, but through custom ROMS.

And coming to bluetooth 3.0,
according to rumour, the BT chipset in SGS GT i9000 is BCM20751 - if it so, it is indeed BT 3.0+HS.
Here's the link for the chipset info
Broadcom.com - BCM20751 - Bluetooth® + GPS + FM Combination ('Combo') Chip Solution
But there's no source to prove that GT-i9000 is having BCM20751 chipset.

But, here's a pic to prove that Vibrant and Nexus is having BCM4329 chipset
Samsung Galaxy S 4G Teardown - Page 2 - iFixit
http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/ZIDpFoULDik1TyWZ.huge
Nexus S Teardown - Page 2 - iFixit
http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/oUkspprUmRQOUS2v.huge
Broadcom.com - BCM4329 - Low-Power 802.11n with Bluetooth® 2.1 + EDR and FM (Tx and Rx)

this chipset only has a BT 2.1. The nexus s is advertised as having BT 2.1, but the vibrant is advertised as having BT 3.0 ??

manu1991 said:
Hummingbird is a CPU core? I thought it was an SoC.
From wikipedia:
It is based on Cortex A8 architechture only.
I know its based on Cortex A8. Just quoted the words from the page. But arent they are different due to optmizations? Cortex A8 is just a architechture right and each company can tweak it according to their needs. (This is what i understood)

Clock Frequencies
Recommanded Maximum Clock Frequency: 1000 MHz
Caches
Level 1 cache: 32KiB data cache / 32 KiB instruction cache
Level 2 cache: 512 KiB
Technology
Semiconductor Technology: CMOS
Minimum Feature Size: 45 nm
Additional Details
Special Features: Fully ARM Cortex-A8 compatible, 13-stage pipeline, 64/32-bit Multi-layer AHB/AXI bus, ARM TrustZone, NEON SIMD engine, OneDRAM, mobile DDR, LP DDR2 interface, PowerVR SGX 540 3D graphics coprocessor, vector floating point coprocessor (VPU), 32-channel DMA, 1080p full HD codec engine, HDMI 1.3 interface
Instruction Set
Supported Instruction Set(s): ARMv7
CPU Core: ARM Cortex-A8
Clock Frequencies
Recommanded Maximum Clock Frequency: 720 MHz
Caches
Level 1 cache: 32KiB data cache / 32 KiB instruction cache
Technology
Semiconductor Technology: CMOS
Minimum Feature Size: 45 nm
Contacts: 515 pins
Additional Details
Special Features: Embedded 430MHz TI TMS320C64x DSP, Embedded image signal processor (12MP camera support), 2D/3D graphics acceleration (IVA 2+), Imagination Technologies POWERVR SGX SGX530 graphics core (OpenGL ES 1.1, OpenGL ES 2.0, OpenVG), SmartReflex technologies, M-shield mobile security, ARM TrustZone, Composite and S-video TV output, XGA/WXGA 16M-color (24-bit definition) display support, High Speed USB2.0 On-The-Go support

quixand said:
Yep!! I mean if someone has a budget constraint then put it that way but to say that SCLCD is comparable to SAMOLED is just LOL. Period.

Fanboy alert!

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Does Nexus S have the hardware capability of a Stereo FM?

quixand said:
Yep!! I mean if someone has a budget constraint then put it that way but to say that SCLCD is comparable to SAMOLED is just LOL. Period.
never mind buddy.. i used both.. other than some viewing angle problems s-lcd is equally wellcome to me with s-amoled... both are quite differnt i think u know and i donot want to start a discussion which one is better or not,, its been discussed too many times... i put it quite clearly .. s-amoled tech is superrior than lcd variants but generally i will not bother to stick with a display tech with all eternity... may not be with your case.. fare enough..

@pauldmps - please provide the source link for nexus s SC-lcd has 720p recording. Even letsbuy says it as wavga recording.
@darkangel - +1. Having same architecture doesn't mean similar performance. Sammy's touch to Cortex A8/A9 in humming and exynos chipset is speaking strong in every tech websites' articles. Recently (gsmarena - sensation vs 2x vs SGS II)

kestrel5915 said:
Fanboy alert!

Absolutely ... :) and for a good reason too..heh!

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

deep16 said:
never mind buddy.. i used both.. other than some viewing angle problems s-lcd is equally wellcome to me with s-amoled... both are quite differnt i think u know and i donot want to start a discussion which one is better or not,, its been discussed too many times... i put it quite clearly .. s-amoled tech is superrior than lcd variants but generally i will not bother to stick with a display tech with all eternity... may not be with your case.. fare enough..

Like I said, to each his own.

@ op check out both in stores, couple of my friends love the interface of the nexus and some of them swear by the galaxy s w/ 2.3.4. Your choice.

Between Nexus S and SGS I9000, I've already commented.
emmarbee said:
@op - i'm having a SGS. I'm yet to see my friend's SL's super clear LCD. But from what i've gathered, the super clear LCD is not too bad when compared to super - amoled. And the colors in the super-clear LCD is more real than the over saturated super amoled.
BTW, SGS is a great device. The only downsides of SGS when compared to Nexus S is that it doesn't have a LED flash, a gyroscope, NFC chip. I'm on 2.3.3 and will be updating to 2.3.4
Nexus S is a great buy for 20K, downsides of nexus s compared to SGS, 800x480 video recording (more than enough if you will watch the videos in ur mobile), the BT 2.1 (the BT 3.0 hasn't been proved to have any speed improvements yet).

If you browse a LOT, go for Nexus S - white screen drains more battery on super-amoled than super-clear. (that includes spending more time in market, reading ebooks, gtalk, ebuddy, )
If you watch movies a lot, go for galaxy s - black screen drains very less battery on S-A than S-CL.
Between O2x and SGS,
go for SGS only if you want a display that is far better screen than O2X, a lighter mobile with 16Gb internal storage and if you really don't care about GYRO and LED FLASH.
As for performance, I don't think there's relatively any difference between O2X and SGS as of now. Everybody is saying Icecream will bring a hell lot of power to O2X, but .... are you sure O2X will get ICS? or by that time, will you still be holdin this age old mobile or jump for a quad priced @30k?
In fact, GSMarena has told several times that O2X can't play 720p videos in browser and is limited to 480p (i'm not sure really). But SGS can play 720p videos in browser.
And as for the camera, 8MP is just good on paper. Here's a comparison
http://www.gsmarena.com/piccmp.php3?idType=3&idPhone1=3115&idPhone2=3598&idPhone3=3724

Thank you all for your valuable inputs :) :hap2:
Went ahead and bought Google Nexus S from letsbuy :clap: (unable to resist google).

Now thinking of getting a screen guard for this new baby :D , any suggestions ? Saw some in ebay but if anyone can provide a first hand review of the different screen guards that would be helpful.

is the Nexus S permanently out of market? I was contemplating gettig one (budget strictly under 20K), however both FK/ LB says its out of stock. Cant reply on shopaholic and adexmart. local retailers either give me a weird sight on hearing about this model or bark 27k forf it!!!!

help me out! I am based in B'lore.

Back