Help in choosingSamsung Galaxy S I9000 vs Google Nexus S

theoracle

Adept
I have been following techenclave for a few months, although this is my first post. Recently lost my Nokia X6, so looking for a replacement and thought to take a ride in the Andriod boat. Iam inclined towards these two phones currently. If you have any other suggestions please advise.

Budget: 20k (+/- 2 K)

Guys please help me in deciding between Samsung Galaxy S I9000 and Google Nexus S

The plus point I see for Samsung Galaxy S I9000 are
+ Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen
+ Higher resolution video (HD recording)
+ FM (Not a major factor)
+ BlueTooth 3.0 (Not really matter to me)

Also looks like we can upgrade this one to Andriod v2.3.

Google Nexus S:
+ Will always get the best support from Google and all latest patches for Andriod.
+ Slightly better talk time.

From Letsbuy I can see that the price difference is around 3K, so is it worth spending extra 3k a for galaxy?

Also advice me on the upgrade path for Samsung Galaxy S I9000 and if this device is supposed to get any further Andriod updates .

I saw the Galaxy S listed for 19.9k on Futurebazaar or India plaza if you want to risk it. Afaik the SAMOLED screen is totally worth it. Haven;t seen a SLCD phone yet but that tilts things in favour of the Galaxy S

@op - i'm having a SGS. I'm yet to see my friend's SL's super clear LCD. But from what i've gathered, the super clear LCD is not too bad when compared to super - amoled. And the colors in the super-clear LCD is more real than the over saturated super amoled.
BTW, SGS is a great device. The only downsides of SGS when compared to Nexus S is that it doesn't have a LED flash, a gyroscope, NFC chip. I'm on 2.3.3 and will be updating to 2.3.4
Nexus S is a great buy for 20K, downsides of nexus s compared to SGS, 800x480 video recording (more than enough if you will watch the videos in ur mobile), the BT 2.1 (the BT 3.0 hasn't been proved to have any speed improvements yet).

If you browse a LOT, go for Nexus S - white screen drains more battery on super-amoled than super-clear. (that includes spending more time in market, reading ebooks, gtalk, ebuddy, )
If you watch movies a lot, go for galaxy s - black screen drains very less battery on S-A than S-CL.

@bottle- I would like to stay clear of indiaplaza and futurebazar :) last time I tried indiaplaza they kept my order pending for 3 weeks before I cancelled the order.

I think NFC wouldn't be much of an use in India in the next couple of years. Please correct me if there are some plan for such uses here.

Gyroscope certainly is interesting and so is LED flash.

Would have to check out one of the local store to check the difference of AMOLED and LCD screens. The video was kind of confusing as we wouldn't normally hold the phone in such odd angles.

Would also like to have a microSD slot which seems to be missing with nexus S
If amoled is not really such a big factor SAMSUNG I9003 might also be worth a look what say guys?

i9003 is sh**! PowerVR SGX530 s***y GPU and comparatively sh**y CPU too! No flash. Nexus S over SL anyday!

Edit: no Gingerbread as of now for SL. And also very less support (not too many custom roms, like for nexus s and sgs)

And the colors in the super-clear LCD is more real than the over saturated super amoled.

You're kidding, right?

SCLCD is a glossy screen w/ tons of reflection, washed out pics, SAMOLED is stunning and uses less energy.
I'd suggest comparing the two in the store, don't go by videos posted on the net. I used a wave 8500 (SAMOLED) then could never look at the Wave8530 (SCLCD).

quixand said:
You're kidding, right?

SCLCD is a glossy screen w/ tons of reflection, washed out pics, SAMOLED is stunning and uses less energy.

I'd suggest comparing the two in the store, don't go by videos posted on the net. I used a wave 8500 (SAMOLED) then could never look at the Wave8530 (SCLCD).
It's more of an user preference, I for a fact prefer slcd over samoled, I hate over saturated colors, it may look catchy first time though.

Hence decide wisely

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Tapatalk

@manu1991 - shouldn't have said "s***y". But still, a lot prefer hummingbird over QC and TI chipsets. Just like Exynos' Dual over Tegra2 And QC's Dual :)

@dark angel - is that a double post?

i bet u will not be disheartened if u use s-lcd.. i have used both wave 2( sc-lcd) and wave 1( s-amoled) side by side and keeping aside some b-w issue there is no such hyped differences u will ever notice..

coming to bt 3 of galaxy 9000 it is not 3.0+hs i.e not high speed so u will not see any major change.. i believe galaxy s2 has 3+hs with some major speed improvements

galaxy 3 will not obviously see ice cream sandwitch... gingerbread is last breather for it.. whereas nexus s will certainly see android 4 and further which i am quite sure

DarkAngel said:
Hummingbird is a CPU core? I thought it was an SoC.
From wikipedia:
The Samsung Hummingbird is a system-on-a-chip (SoC) designed for mobile devices, which is based on the 45nm ARM Cortex A8 architecture with a PowerVR SGX540 GPU. One advantage of the Hummingbird SoC is the high performance with low power consumption. The chip was first used in the Samsung Galaxy S, followed by the Samsung Wave, the Samsung Galaxy Tab, the Samsung GT-I9020T (Google Nexus S), and the Samsung Galaxy Indulge.

It is based on Cortex A8 architechture only.

Back