Budget 21-30k Help me build a Windows 7/Linux PC

drsingh

Adept
Hi guys,
I have a unique challenge for you guys.I have a modern intel NUC for daily use.That serves all my daily needs except when I need to use Wimdows 7/XP for legacy software or old games or Linux software.I use an ancient Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop with Puppy Linux,Knoppix to do quick Image ,media processing,Scanning etc.And also boot windows 7 for legacy xp software that works well on this machine.

I have a large 24 inch monitor that id like to use for all my computing needs.So the goal is to build a PC CPU/MOBO/Graphics card/Ram that will max out Windows 7 Software/games from 5 years ago.And Run all Knoppix applications like Blender etc well.

The goal is to get max Bang for buck,therefore I am open to buying Used parts.As I understand modern new hardware does not support Windows 7.USB 3 would be nice to have.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-DrSingh
  1. What is your budget?
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU -
    • Motherboard-
    • GPU -
    • RAM -
    • Monitor - Dell 2409
    • PSU -
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - Dell 2409
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel
    • Motherboard - any compatible motherboard
    • GPU -
    • PSU -
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Final
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Browsing
    • Desktop Processing
    • Watching HD movies
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Intel preferred.My understanding is that they have better support for Linux
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Strategy - Civilization 4,AOE3.Empire Earth
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1280x720
    2. Desktop - 1440x900
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • Yes/No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit
    • Linux - Mint,Ubuntu,Knoppix

Budget -47K (GTX1050Ti)

Processor -AMD Ryzen 5 2200G -8k
Motherboard -Asus Prime B450M-K -7k
Graphics Card -Zotac GTX 1050Ti 4GB Mini -12k
RAM -Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz 8GB -6k
HDD -WD Caviar Blue 1TB -3k
Power Supply -Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 450w -5k
Cabinet -Antec P8 ATX Cabinet -5k
KB & Mouse -Logitech MK200 -1k

Total -47K

Windows 7 does support USB3, however not natively. We still use Windows 7 at our work since we are facing poor RAM management with W10 (4GB) plus lots of disk thrashing.

If you are comfortable with using Linux, I am sure you can do some tinkering. What you need is a Windows 7 image with the USB3 drivers integrated into the image. Look up guides on the internet for this. The software I use to build these is NTLite. I dont use the Intel utility since I package drivers as well with the image.

For using W7, you need to be using a Intel 6th gen or older....

Are you sure you want to go for a Intel CPU ? Prices of Intel CPUs has skyrocketed. A mid range CPU like i5 8400 will cost you more than 20K now, It was around 13-14K 6 months ago.

Are you sure you want to go for a Intel CPU ? Prices of Intel CPUs has skyrocketed. A mid range CPU like i5 8400 will cost you more than 20K now, It was around 13-14K 6 months ago.
Intel i5-8400 was Rs.12500/- on June 30-2018 and was touch 25000/- and now down trend to Rs.20,500/- ... intel (stockiest & intel too) just insane

Last edited:
Back