Laptops Help me choose between Dell studio and XPS..

shashank_r_t

Disciple
Hi guys..

I am stuck in a dilemma...

please help me sort out from the below configs.. basically to choose between ATI HD3450 or NVidia 8600M GT DDR3..

1. Config 1 - Dell Studio 15 - R541205IN8 - Rs 58K All inclusive

-- Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor P8400 (2.26GHz, 3MB Cache, 1066 MHz FSB)
-- Genuine Windows Vista(R) Home Premium 32 bit SP1 Edition (English)
-- 1 Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis
-- 15.4 " Widescreen WXGA + (1440x900) WLED TFT Display with TrueLife(TM) w/Camera
-- 4GB ( 2 X 2048MB ) Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
-- 320GB (5400 RPM) SATA Hard Drive
-- 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450
-- 8 in 1 card reader + bluetooth mouse + Travel Remote

2. Config 2 - Dell XPS M1530 Laptop (R541210IN8) - Rs 59K all inclusive
-- Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor T8100 (2.1 GHz, 3MB Cache, 800 MHz FSB)
-- Genuine Windows Vista(R) Home Premium SP1 32 bit Edition (English
-- 15.4" Widescreen WXGA (1280x800) TFT Display with TrueLife(TM)
-- 3GB (1x2G+1x1G) Dual-channel DDR2 SDRAM
-- 320GB SATA Hard Drive
-- 256MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) 8600M GT
-- 8 in 1 card reader + Travel Remote

Also the config 1 is available with 1280x900 res panel and 3 gb ram @ rs 51K

I am mostly looking for casual gaming.. but most of the current gen games should be playable. Also budget is upto 60 K max.

How bad is the ATI 3450 compared to 8600M GT?

Please suggest.

Also will it make sense for me to purchase from Hong Kong? or will it be cheaper in India?

Thanks,
Shashank

the 3450 is not a card for gaming , the 86--gt is the way to go , however the xps has no backlit kb which is pretty cool and u get more ram n processing power with the new architecture in ur studio 15 , if gaming is not that crucial id go with the studio 15 if i were u :)

^ Yup,

XPS with the 8600GT would be better as OP wants a lappy for casual gaming also.

Just a thought:

In 40K u can get a very powerful gaming/multimeida desktop PC.

ROCKFELLA said:
^ Yup,

XPS with the 8600GT would be better as OP wants a lappy for casual gaming also.

Just a thought:

In 40K u can get a very powerful gaming/multimeida desktop PC.

+1 to that !

Unless your planning to GAME ON THE GO!?

Hi SoulFire / ROCKFELLA / thetoxicmind,

thanks for the replies..

@SoulFire - Thing is.. I may be off to Hong Kong in Jan.. and hence need to have a PC to kill time. And as I am used to a gaming machine.. hence will need that one too.. hence looking for a Gaming laptop..

@ROCKFELLA - Agreed.. at 40K i can get a good gaming desktop..and at 60K .. an even better one.. but I need a laptop as I will be travelling..

@thetoxicmind - yes.. most probably..

Any of the guys on TE which have been to HK.. can u guys plz advise abt the prices in HK and India.. are they costly in HK.. coz I am planning to get the lappy in HK..

Thanks,
Shashank

DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

If you going to HK then all your prob is solved... u'll get XPS lappie from there!!!!!!! idjyat!!!!!!!!!!!! its cheaper there!

Dont waste money here.. buy it from HK and neways you get 1 year asian warranty with the laptop so even if u come to india back... nothing is wrong :hap2:

if no then i'd suggest to go for XPS as u want casual gaming, but still dont xpect all your latest gen games to work on it flawlessly... but then again 8600GT is better than HD 3450..

If you are more 2wards performance and more 2wards movies and stuffs, then go for Studio 15 with P8400 (Centrino 2 Chipset)..

Also, u are @ 60k budget.. i'd suggest you to extend your budget a bit and go for Studio 17 with 17" Screen + HD 3650 256mb which equals to nvidia 8600GT (or slightly faster than 8600GT)... :)
shashank_r_t said:
Hi SoulFire / ROCKFELLA / thetoxicmind,

thanks for the replies..

@SoulFire - Thing is.. I may be off to Hong Kong in Jan.. and hence need to have a PC to kill time. And as I am used to a gaming machine.. hence will need that one too.. hence looking for a Gaming laptop..

@ROCKFELLA - Agreed.. at 40K i can get a good gaming desktop..and at 60K .. an even better one.. but I need a laptop as I will be travelling..

@thetoxicmind - yes.. most probably..

Any of the guys on TE which have been to HK.. can u guys plz advise abt the prices in HK and India.. are they costly in HK.. coz I am planning to get the lappy in HK..

Thanks,
Shashank

Back