Help me choose..MPx200 or E398?

Guys, i'm in dilemma...i'd been to a Mobile shop here in Andheri yesterday to find out about the Moto E398 as it has been in my shopping list for quiet some time..simply because i am a music freak and the E398 has got one of the best features for the price of 9k...the speakers are awesome and the overall thing looks good to me..
Now the dealer told me tht the MPx200 was priced around 8k and had a Windows mobile OS along with a SD memory card ..the phone looked good to me...but i have heard tht it is kind of old now and has a few niggles..Also it doesnt have a camera...but the good thing is tht the SD memory is cheap as compared to the Transflash used in E398..and i want to have atleast 512mb in my cellphone for songs..:(
Now i am confused...what do you suggest, shud i go for the mpx220 or the E398? also i cannot spend more than 9k on a cellphone now as i have a few PC upgrades in mind..;)

Okay lets see the disadvantages of Mpx200 over E398

- Speaker Quality not that good

- No Camera

Disadvantages of E398 over Mpx200

- Crappy dumb OS. That's Windows mobile on Mpx

- Transfalsh only exists upto 512, and it costs 3k, WELL OVER 3k in fact!

If i were you, i would be going for the Mpx200 eyes closed. its OS is on par, maybe better than those latest symbians, its a freakin' Microsoft smartphone(which means a lot in terms of applications).

Coming to music, it has Stereo too. But the speakers are not loud and clear as E398, if you're ready to sacrifise that then the quality of music in the included sterephonice headphones (Note that there is a 2.5 to 3.5mm converter jack (though they are HARD to find in India, but they are available in plenty on Ebay branches of Uk and US) by which you can plug in any normal headphones to the Mpx200) is on the level and perhaps better then the E398, because there will be tons of music application (like WMP) that would equalise the sound and nothing liek that exists in E398. Plus you can store like over 50 songs on the 512-1gig card easily available, but on the E398, you'll have to spend arnd 2k just to get the 256mb Transflash. Plus its a smartphone, more powerful Can store better quality larger videos, in E398 you can't even watch video on fullscreen and no fast forwarding and rewind option and there's nothing you can do to change that..it isn't a smartphone

Hope that helped.

i have an mpx 200 and i agree its a good phone but 2 factors
1,battery life is terrible. just about 14 hrs or so.if u feel thats a factor then dont go for it. or get a better battery.
2.no camera
its a freakin' Microsoft smartphone(which means a lot in terms of applications)
true but how many are free?i found 10 games after 3 hrs of googling. ms and free dont go together. ;) and u cant play java games without a java midlet manager. so consider well before u take a decision.

Params u own the e398 with i398 firmware in it... the battery life sucks when it is i398... but the battery life of e398 and v398 based firmwares is good... i shud say very good...

Oh so that's why my E398 isn't lasting even full 24 hrs after a full charge :mad:

Well, if one can sacrifise the Video Recording, V398 is THE best firmware for E398. Its way faster and stable, and takes less battery like Vivek said.

^^So suppose i buy a E398, what wud be the firmware version if its manufactured recently? Will a firmware upgrade violate the warranty conditions?

Also, though the Mpx is a good phone like params said, i guess the battery life of 14 hrs is just too less...can anyone confirm this?

Otherwise it wud be wiser to go for the Mpx200 cos its quiet true tht the transflash is friggin costly...so the E398 wud be much more costlier for me if i buy a 512 transflash...:( I need more suggestions,please..

Also is the price of 8k for Mpx200 ok or is the vendor takin me for a ride?

It'll most likely have a 92r firmware or something like that. All of them are almost just as good and perform as the V398 version. V398 is a fan created firmware, created by eyes_onlyD of HowardForums, it isn't official.

Though, i think flashing the firmware voids the warranty...i'm not sure.

And 8k is a very good price for the Mpx.

Params is right... flashing voids warranty... even adding new skins voids warranty... but upgrading is worth it...

the firmware that come with the e398 will not be as fast as the v398 firmware as v398 firmware consists of the best flash and flex. and also loads of customization on the phone...

i am sure that 256MB card is support by e398 but not sure abt 512MB though motorola site wud tell that it supports upto 512MB... confirm this googling

itsmevivek said:
Params is right... flashing voids warranty... even adding new skins voids warranty... but upgrading is worth it...

the firmware that come with the e398 will not be as fast as the v398 firmware as v398 firmware consists of the best flash and flex. and also loads of customization on the phone...

i am sure that 256MB card is support by e398 but not sure abt 512MB though motorola site wud tell that it supports upto 512MB... confirm this googling

512 mb is supported too but the main problem is tht whether i'll be able to support it or not..:huh: (costs way over 4k for the 512mb transflash!!) Tht way i'll be spending around 13k for my phone when i'd rather go for a 6630 for 12.5 k!!
Tht is the biggest drawback of E398..why one earth did motorola opt for transflash when it cud have easily accomodated an SD MMC..:no:

Back