Help Needed - Delhi Broadband Users

l33t

Adept
Hello Guys , My friend from delhi is puzzled regarding what to do, Here's the problem...

He has a unlimited 2mbps broadband connection from MTNL , which he took about 2 months ago , He lives in DU-North(Near St. Stephens College) The MTNL lines seem to have a LOT of problems there , with very frequent disconnections , So he is looking at disconnecting his current broadband connection, and plans to shift to Reliance , He's a pretty heavy downloader - lets say he exceeds about 10GB/Day - So he kind of needs something to satiate his downloading whoredom.

The Main Question:
The reliance connections for broadband in Delhi , are there any torrent ports/p2p ports which are blocked , or is it alright for him to go ahead with Reliance ?

Also , I wanted to know if there are any other economically feasible alternatives he might have ? other than broadband ? (The only ISPs in DU North are MTNL and Reliance)

P.S. : He had the 1mbps line before , from MTNL , which did not have any problems what so ever (no d/c) but he doesnt want to go back to that plan, since he wants a 2mbps connection.

AFAIK Reliance does not blocks torrents....as a friend of mine is using it regularly.
Also it has got very good speeds. He has a 512 day 1 Mbps Night and torrent speeds @ night cross 100 kbps.
Just one issue....Its very difficult to connect it to a router and use it on multiple connections. Each time you need to log out of a machine and then log into another one.

Apart from MTNL and BSNL Reliance I think is the only ISP with no FUP.

On the downside it has down times but it never lasted more than a day. But off late its pretty good.

My suggestion : Take a 512 kbps day / 1 Mbps Night connection and test it out. I think that will cost you arnd 750 pm and if you are satisfied with the performance you might as well move on to a more fast connection.

sgx100 said:
AFAIK Reliance does not blocks torrents....as a friend of mine is using it regularly.

Also it has got very good speeds. He has a 512 day 1 Mbps Night and torrent speeds @ night cross 100 kbps.

Just one issue....Its very difficult to connect it to a router and use it on multiple connections. Each time you need to log out of a machine and then log into another one.

Apart from MTNL and BSNL Reliance I think is the only ISP with no FUP.

On the downside it has down times but it never lasted more than a day. But off late its pretty good.

My suggestion : Take a 512 kbps day / 1 Mbps Night connection and test it out. I think that will cost you arnd 750 pm and if you are satisfied with the performance you might as well move on to a more fast connection.

I think he has a router , which he will be using , but wont be much of an Issue compared to the MTNL problems he's having , I'm going to pass this on to him and see if he's ok with it , I had also asked him to get himself a 3G SIM and a Dongle - and get better speeds , any Idea how that may work out ? Also what is the current 3G pricing in Delhi ?

TYIA

Abishek

I was using 3G in Delhi on MTNL roaming and was pretty much satisfied. But BSNL has withdrawn all unlimited plans and MTNL as the post below suggest has come up with an introductory Unlimited plan. But I have seen and heard that on 3G congestion is achieved very soon, So the avg speeds will be around 1.5-2 Mbps. Moreover operators now have started to throttle 3G speeds...Just do a check on MTNL using mdma software.

For 3G pricing you can refer to the MTNL website.

l33t said:
I think he has a router , which he will be using , but wont be much of an Issue compared to the MTNL problems he's having , I'm going to pass this on to him and see if he's ok with it , I had also asked him to get himself a 3G SIM and a Dongle - and get better speeds , any Idea how that may work out ? Also what is the current 3G pricing in Delhi ?

TYIA
Abishek

Back