Help needed regd Biometrics (Fingerprint reading)

random2

Adept
I mainly develop DB based applications but its the first time ive got something like this to do.

Need to register 500+ users along with fingerprint info through fp scanner.
At a later date, the application should be able to recognize the member from the fingerprint database.

I have been reading into these things and I need some help from anyone who has worked on this.

1. Im not exactly sure how matching works. My guess is its not that easy to just store minutiae data in db and compare for exact match as minutiae data might not be compared that way (I think it might vary a little with time/scanner and comparison is usually done using some scoring pattern....). This is where im stuck. Any hints on how exactly matching is done (and stored) would be greatly helpful.

Main thing bugging me is the above one and cant seem to clear this up.

Plan is to first test recording + storing + matching/Auth before building anything. Im not sure but I hope scanners come with some sort of sdk using which it can be interfaced. Any hints on this too would be helpful.

TIA

I have been working on image processing for past one year now and fingerprint recognition is a very popular project.

Storing is the easy part, just save the files into a directory and thats about it. Matching is the most difficult part. If you are planning to make the entire application yourself then you will have to do a lot of research and it will not be easy. The project will also take a lot of time around 6 months or so if you do it properly.

There are many techniques I can tell you right now but first you need to tell me how much image processing you know.

Back