help needed - want to start a new Forum

alive hunter

Disciple
I want to start a new fresh forum.

i have already taken a domain name.

please suggest which php set free tool to be used. which is the best one and can be customized.

i dont know programming, i willl be completely relying on the custom pack available on internet.

Long back (about 4yrs) i had setup a a forum which was up and running .. so mean to say i hav a bit of experiences about it..

please suggest ...

phpBB - Admin Panel not so friendly but can be configured for specific needs .

myBB - Great Admin panel equal number of plugins compared to phpBB .

Simple Machines - Did not use it but this is also an option.

wht do u suggest .. ???

I am plaining to start a games related website ...

whts the dufferencce between [font=arial, sans-serif]phpBB & myBB???[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]which one have more custom pack readily available on internet ???[/font]

I like simple machines forum.

I played around with phpbb and smf, and found smf easier to administer, and theme. I added the "simple portal" add on, and it gave me almost everything I could ask for in a forum.

The only problem I faced was that a lot of bots keep trying to register. I've added a question in the registration agreement, and a captcha, but they still keep coming. I've turned off auto-approval, so they can't post till I approve them.

Give it a shot. It feels lighter and faster than phpbb, but that's just my opinion.

Install all the softwares you like in different directories, play around with them, and after a week of tinkering choose the one you think is the easiest to theme and administer.

Back