Video Help needed with Tatasky Dish Antenna Alignment !

Switch

Skilled
Somebody messed up my dish antenna alignment of TATA SKY. Now i need help with aligning it. I dont think it should be a real difficult task as my antenna is slightly misaligned. Is there a method or a trick which i need to follow or its just hit and try. If i cannot make it to work then i would be calling an engineer obviously.

Help me with solutions please.

its difficult without the right tools like a signal meter. it can be done though. i did it successfully for my dish tv but botched up the alignment again while messing around with it trying to get a foreign channel.

First you need to know the satellite orbit of TSky. From various sources like lyngsat etc it (Insat 4A satellite from which tata sky is beamed down to us) is at the 83.1E geostationary orbit.

Then you need to know the latitude and longitude of your terrace/ place where your dish is fixed.

Use this - India satellite dish pointing and aiming calculator

If you see properly on the map there is a dot a pixel in width and height which keeps flickering in center of the google maps window. that is the spot you need to center on your building. When you get the almost exact spot you will see the latitude and longitude below the map. It would be something like --deg N --min -- sec etc.

you should also use the (Optional) Pointing angles to satellite orbit longitude option. i used NSS6 there since i have dishtv. You will use 83E Insat 4A. And the blue line pointing to your location in the map is the line of sight from the Satellite to your dish.

You will get these values:

Dish elevation= something, Azimuth= something (magnetic compass), Polarisation= something

Polar mounts only: Main angle= something, Downward tilt= something, Motor drive sideways angle= something (---> these not for us)

use these values to fine tune your dish. ofcourse you'll need a magnetic compass to do that. The chinese make ones are available for 50 bucks or so in stationary shops.

If you need to know the signal strength or if signal is locked etc and do not want to run up and down from terrace to your flat, then you will need to have a small tv (if possible, so you can take it to the roof to see the signal strength) plus your tsky stb + power source (long extension wire). You also need a meter or two of the same type of cable which comes from the stb to the lnb.

just attach the stb to the lnb and switch on power. You should set your stb to settings menu where you can see the signal strength while making the adjustments to dish now.

After making all the adjustments finetune the lnb so that you get around 80-85% signal strength. you just need to move the lnb in up down direction by half a degree or so to fine tune it.

I tried this just for the heck of it one sunday. took an hour or so since i didnt even have a compass nor any of those satellite signal meters :)ashamed). i just printed a protractor on an A4 size paper and had it near the dish while aligning it. worked well and my stb locked on to the signal. strength i got was around 75% on all transports. must have been pure luck ;)

but its ok. its not rocket science and can be done. best of luck :)

Edit: You can also use this tool for aligning your dish. See the satellite offset page to get an idea of how to align the dish.

http://www.al-soft.com/saa/satinfo.shtml

install it carefully. there's some 3rd party tool wrapped in it which you can decline.

Person who came home forgot to bring his meter.

If TV & Dish are close to each other (Dish in balcony of home) then it would be really easy. If not send someone at top of terrace & use cordless or mobile phone.

Just go to set up mode & check for signal calculations. Keep moving the dish very very slowly until signal meter of STB shows good range, Works perfectly for Airtel DTH.

Hi guys,

1. Is it possible to get tatasky to work in switzerland if I get a dish locally installed?
  2. What would be the direction of the dish?

Hi guys,

1. Is it possible to get tatasky to work in switzerland if I get a dish locally installed?
  2. What would be the direction of the dish?

most probably no! most satellite transponders (used by dth operators here) are aligned to a specific region like India only. So you won't get signal anywhere else in world.

most probably no! most satellite transponders (used by dth operators here) are aligned to a specific region like India only. So you won't get signal anywhere else in world.

they need to track if the satellite sends signals over that region.
other than that if reach is low a bigger dish can improve the signal quality.

Thanks 6pack. That's disappointing as I already bought a Tatasky Plus and brought it all the way here. OTOH, maybe I do not want a big ugly sat dish, smack bang in the middle of my balcony :)

they need to track if the satellite sends signals over that region.
other than that if reach is low a bigger dish can improve the signal quality.
I have asked a Sat dish company in Switzerland to come and talk to me. How can they check if my place gets a signal without installing the dish??
Would apreciate response. I am stuck with 12 English channels, mainly BBC / CNN/Al Jazeera and hundreds of German/French and Italian channels provided by Swisscom. But the internet speeds are awesome - 12 mbps over wi-fi :)

I have asked a Sat dish company in Switzerland to come and talk to me. How can they check if my place gets a signal without installing the dish??
Would apreciate response. I am stuck with 12 English channels, mainly BBC / CNN/Al Jazeera and hundreds of German/French and Italian channels provided by Swisscom. But the internet speeds are awesome - 12 mbps over wi-fi :)

check for the regions covered by the TS satellite.

Eg : videocon d2h uses a satellite located at 88degrees east.

found out for tatasky
http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/tatasky.html

you can check for the region covered by the satellite.
http://www.n2yo.com/satellite/?s=28911

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/europe.html

From what I can see from the links @Superbad has posted - you will be at the fringes of the satellite signal. I dont think it will work.

Also, dont forget that you would need a more powerful antenna - the dish that you get with your STB is not going to cut it. And, along with that, a powerful LNB. And, there is no guarantee the stuff is going to work.

I have seen people take Tata Sky STB's and the dishes to Dubai and install it over there and watch the channels.

Back