Help on Microwave oven

Praks

Skilled
Looking for help on Microwave ovens..

Tried to search in market & found LG, Samsung & IFB are good ones.

Microwave will NOT be used for non veg food (chicken etc) but may be used to bake cakes with egg.
Still confused with lingos of Normal, Convection, Grill..
Can someone please explain what's difference b/w Normal, Convection, Grill & which one to purchase ?

Please recommand a good brand & model number within 5000 to 6000 Rs..

Re: Help on Microwave oven..

+1 for OTG if baking is all you need.
Microwave is not used primarily for cooking. At least it is not suitable for major, Indian cooking.
It is also possible to bake with a Microwave. It is efficient but will not provide any browning. That is why there are the grill and convection modes.
Bottom line: If baking is all you want, go for OTG. If reheating is all you want, go for a simple microwave oven. If you need something versatile and don't want to have multiple gadgets in the house, go for the microwave that has grill and convection.
Be aware that for microwave use, you will have to invest in micro proof cookware too.

A microwave oven, or a microwave, is a kitchen appliance that cooks or heats food by dielectric heating. This is accomplished by using microwave radiation to heat water and other polarized molecules within the food. This excitation is fairly uniform, leading to food being more evenly heated throughout (except in thick objects) than generally occurs in other cooking techniques.

Basic microwave ovens heat food quickly and efficiently, but do not brown or bake food in the way conventional ovens do. This makes them unsuitable for cooking certain foods, or to achieve certain culinary effects. Additional kinds of heat sources can be added to microwave packaging, or into combination microwave ovens, to add these additional effects.
A convection microwave is a combination of a standard microwave oven, and a convection oven. It allows food cooked in the convection microwave to be cooked quickly, yet come out browned or crisped, as in a convection oven. For example, a convection microwave oven can be preheated to bake cakes whereas it is not possible with standard microwave ovens.

Convection microwaves were initially considered to be high-end kitchen appliances. They were more expensive than a conventional microwave. Over time the price of convection microwaves has dropped and can be bought for around the same price as a conventional microwave.

Try from ONIDA, they are value priced with top quality imported parts esp Toshiba OEM parts.

Here are shortlisted ones.

LG -

MC 7688DP 26 litres - 9899 (Ebay.in) - MRP: Rs 10490

MC 7648WH - 26 litres -

MC-7148MS - 21 litres - MRP: Rs 9490 - Seems BEST One

Onida Black Beauty Convection (PC 21)21 Ltr - 8000 - BAD Reviews

Any suggestions ?

Why not buy both separately, according to need. IMO, the low end convection microwaves do not do a good job at grilling or baking.

Praks said:
Here are shortlisted ones.

LG -

MC 7688DP 26 litres - 9899 (Ebay.in) - MRP: Rs 10490

MC 7648WH - 26 litres -

MC-7148MS - 21 litres - MRP: Rs 9490 - Seems BEST One

Onida Black Beauty Convection (PC 21)21 Ltr - 8000 - BAD Reviews

Any suggestions ?

I thought you were looking for something in the 5-6K range?

OTGs are perfect for baking.

In fact, you could buy a basic OTG (for baking) and a SOLO Microwave oven (for re-heating).

These days convection microwave are coming with a lot of inbuilt recipes.

Is it possible that they are using all three modes for a single recipe (just a thought)

in that case a single equipment might be better.

@thetoxicmind

Yes, I could not find any convection within 5000 Rs :(

Taking 2 diff models will not be possible due to space problem. Convection would be all in one so will go for it.

Onida Black Beauty Convection looks really good but bad reviews on mouthshut.

Confused b/w LG MC-7148MS & MC 7648WH.

Cheapest I could find in LG, pls suggest.

I bought a Godrej 3 in 1 (microwave, convection and grill) a few years back along with some freebies for about 8000 from a Vijay Sales one day offer. It is serving us well. It is about 30 ltrs. Before you plunge in for 21 ltrs, check if it is big enough for you.

Before this I had the BPL 40 ltrs one which gave me endless trouble for years before I finally bought the Godrej.

Praks said:
@thetoxicmind
Yes, I could not find any convection within 5000 Rs :(

Taking 2 diff models will not be possible due to space problem. Convection would be all in one so will go for it.

Well alright.

Praks said:
Confused b/w LG MC-7148MS & MC 7648WH.

Cheapest I could find in LG, pls suggest.

It really comes down to the capacity, if price is not a factor : 21L Vs 26L.

You would need a minimum of 28L Microwave if you want to bake bigger cakes like 1/1.5kg. Also if you need microwave for baking cakes or cookies you need a Convection/Grill microwave and for the same you would have to increase your budget upto 10k.

I have this one at my place

28L microwave oven CE1031LAT - Convection - Microwave Oven | SAMSUNG

But frankly speaking baking cakes in a microwave is not fun and I can tell as I do most of the baking in my house. So for baking purpose I go to my all time favorite Sunflame OTG.

So if you need the microwave just for baking I would suggest get a decent OTG for like 5-7K and enjoy all all your baking grilling and rotisserie. Go for Sunflame/Inalsa in OTG and get a minimum 30L one.

Please give 21 or 28L models from LG/Samsung Convection in less then 8000 Rs

Would prefer if you have already used it so you will have experience with it.

Guys just checked Onida Black beauty, Look is good but bad as a Microwave. Dont go for it.

Is there anyone using LG MC-7148MS & MC 7648WH. ?

Please advise on a good OTG under 4K.

I need it for baking purposes only - I would prefer a higher maximum temperature, since I need it for meats, etc.

^ I have prestige 17lt OTG. costed me 2.8k. Max temp is 250 deg. But then there is one more turn of the knob takes it to unregulated temperature.

Regards,

Back