Help Partition my C: drive

Nandu

Disciple
Hi frnds
I have a dell laptop.. with only one drive C: with 100GB and windows XP media OS installed in it. Now i want to partition into atleast 3 partition. I tried using Partition Magic. I have some functions disabled in it like "Split partition" etc... when i tried to use other options the software says "you have one or more drives which cannot be partitioned or redistubuted". Can any one help me how to partition my hard drive with out formating current OS.

note: i can do partition by formating current OS. but i want some ways in which i must not format current OS but able to partition the reamining free space in the single drive

I have never used any software like the one tracerbullet has suggested but I have made partitions and not lost data by making a backup image using Ghost or Acronis True Image and then formatting and partitioning the drive. I then restore the backup image to C - it may be just my mental block on this but I feel much more confident making partitions with a format and XP's Diskpart from the Recovery Console. I did this to 2 drives in the last week and lost no data.

EDIT: Just came across this page at MS site...This describes how to use the Recovery Console

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654

Back