Sanav3

Adept
Buying on 8th June..thts Tuesday
Budget - 12K..MAX
hav to upgrade as using a Nokia 3315 :bleh:
want a new phone wid colour screen and multimedia capability
Requirement: Mp3 Player

Options selected as of now...
1. Nokia N Gage (MP3 --> Equalizer + shuffle mode + bass boast + POWER of SYMBIAN but..No CAM n Side Talkin)

i hav heard from many ppl that symbain is powerful but after da initial excitemnt of a month u dont play much wid new applications..some first hand inputs from symbain users required..

2. Nokia 6230 (Bad Screen, and ok ok mp3 player)...any members here hav one, hows da MP3 quality??

3.Motorola E398 (Amazing screen + grt Mp3 player - No Equalizer's )

NOTE:Guys i know e398 has been discussed a lot and mp3 is pretty good, but does it hav da extra bass, as possible in N Gage...
i hav listened to mp3 on Ngage and loved da quality - pretty good by my standards wid da extra bass

My vote is for the n-gage. I find it is faster than a 6600. (which BTW is around 11K and is an amazing buy.... except fpr the sound quality....which is your 1st preference). And the screen is very good and the clarity is superb.....

Fundu:
Limit ur choice to Moto and 6230 only.
Both 3300 and N gage is old models and no longer manufactured by Nokia. Why do you want to get a mobile in black,however good the model may be. It's good to discuss abt these models but when it comes to buying these models, i stay clear from them :bleh:
Moto E398
There is no doubt that Moto is the best when it comes to speakers and Bass and all that audio stuffs. But there may be problem with the BT (phone to phone is ok;but phone to PC there may be problem , the mobile which i got reviewing had this problem even appolyon's moto had this problem, but this is now fixed afaik).

Nokia 6230
You need a Good phone which can play mp3,get 6230 it got a hell lot features. It got EDGe, so u can listen to live audio streams (or video streams) in case these are supported by our network providers in near future. Also comparing this with moto, there is not much of limitation but the big screen LCD and the audio quality, but that is compensated by more features (which u can use), also both are non-symbian.

My preference:
Moto E398 >6230 > N gage > 3300

drgrudge said:
Moto E398
There is no doubt that Moto is the best when it comes to speakers and Bass and all that audio stuffs.

thx a lot for tht reply....
a little doubt, tell me abt max vol level and the bass on e398 earphones while listening to mp3's...

Ngage defnitely hands down, even if its black/grey or wotever ! The poer of symbian+mp3+games is a very rare combination. I have used symbian for quite a while now (almost 2 years) and yeah the novelty dies out once u have to scrounge for the softwares but then the games are a big plus over the other fones ! personally i dont care much for warranty cuz the fones can be serviced and under normal and careful usage there's hardly a problem !

fundusanju said:
thx a lot for tht reply....
a little doubt, tell me abt max vol level and the bass on e398 earphones while listening to mp3's...
Check out my Review about E398, in fact in was very subjective in this audio aspect.

Max volume: Very loud and we can hear the phone ringing/singing/playing even if the backgroud surroundings are noisy..
Bass on earphone: I dont think u will find much of a difference... imagine you are listening to your walkman with the headphones. Whatever you got to have the feel of it.You can goto the store and have a look.

If you are investing near 10K then its definite no no for dumb phones like E398.
Get a symbian phone. You can do a lot more stuff with it. Customize it, load software to improve functionality. Nice games and almost unlimited source of softwares that comes out each day for S60 and UIQ phones.

Get ngage. I hate the side talk. But when i had ngage, i loved it. Music quality is very good. And games are big +.
Its old model, its big, has stupid sidetalk. but who cares? Its a great smart phone for under 10K.
Use the saved money and het yourself a bluetooth handsfree and get rid of sidetalk ;)

i got the 6230..the screen is small...thts the only bad thhing..other wise the phone rox...its got the best mp3 playback capabilitys

Dr.Grudge, change your e398 piece man, and stop complaining about BT, because there is NONE! You've got a defected piece, i'm an e398 user for over 2 months now, 100's files transfered and not a single error or something!!

6230 and e398 should be the choices.

Comparison - 6230 -

1.Little screen, with bad support for dark wallpapers
2. Outdated shape.
3. Symbian 40, almost the same as e398's OS.
4. No flash
5. Louder Volume than e398
6. Less BASS! (i'll say this again 6230 pales when compared with e398's bass, even with an EQ)
7. Video recordnig upto 4 mins.
8. Edge
9. FM

E398 -

1.Looks good - a 10/10 on style and sleekness!
2.Larger screen
3.Camera flash
4.A 'Proper Mp3 Player' with stereo headset, and with a step up 3.5 converter you can plug in your normal headphones or connect it to other music systems
6.Even though e398 has lower volume when compared with 6230, the 3d stereo quality beats 6230.
7.Less Service Centers in India
8.Bass beats are excellent! Take 6230 and e398 in each of your hands and play some mp3's, and you'll feel the difference.
9.MMC's only available upto 512 mb as of now and only 128 mb cards are available from India, though i've just ordered a 256 mb card from ebay.co.uk for a cheap price :D
10.No video recording.
11.Instant downloads 10x faster than Bluetooth from PC to E398. on latest firmwares the phones will immediatel be detected as a removable USB flash Hard Drive(and now E398 will show up next to the drives list in My Computer), and you can transfer like 5 mb files to and from MMC in like a minute! No need for for MMC adapter and readers.

so there you go, pros and cons for both of them, now decide for yourself, and remember no phone is perfect!
Also the NGage Qd is also a good phone. But the internal Memory is only 4mb so you cannot transfer files to the phone via Bt if the file exceeds internal memory's space!! exept then you'll need a PC and a MMC reader. The mp3 playback is Mono, there is NO bass and Treble along with the volume is SO high that it hurts your ears!! (yea that's both good and bad) But other than that, QD is a good phone because of a wide selection of games.
the quality on Headset = just like an IPOd or something. But i reccomend spending some cash on one of THESE!
and connect your own good headphones with it.
But like somebody said above, Ngage has stereo quality, Symbian function, a little bad screen can be ignored and so can the side talking with BT headsets.....

params7 said:
Dr.Grudge, change your e398 piece man, and stop complaining about BT, because there is NONE!
Well, contact me in YIM, i shall introduce you to a friend of mine who has BT issues...

params7 said:
Louder Volume than e398
Hmm..no man, E398 is lounder than 6230 is..., maybe not substantial, but still it's louder than 6230.

well it can be that piece specific problem.
I am using the BT handsfree for almost 18 months now.
Have used it with my Ngage, QD, 6600, 6230( my brother's phone) and 7610.
No issues.
None of the above sets had and BT issues what so ever.

Another E398 user here :D.

Bought it 10 days back for 10K and lemme tell you the music at 64Kbps is loud and clear even through headphones :D.I was in the same dilemma as u but when i heard the sound of the E398 I had no hesitation in making the choice.

I wanted to go for the N-Gage but I wanted a cam so I went for the E398(Camera quality better than 6600 IMO)

Lastly, Though the games arent Ngage quality but Java Games are available by the dozen and they are good too :D.

Will have to try using bluetooth soon to find out if I have any issues with my phone or something....

Regards,
DC.

Hey ....

Go for Motorola E398 man....If U got a bit more indian bux try sumthing better...

Of the lot Motorola E398 is wat I wud go for personally....

Its pretty Kewl..

Its 8 th and Gud Luc...

Cheerz

Back