Help with GRE + some general advice needed

greenhorn

Patron
Need to decide on some universities. Biosbhai tells me that we gotta apply to some a week before we write it ( writing on 16th :ashamed:

Still no clue whether to go with MBA or MS, but now the details about MS need to be fixed.

Electronics was my core subject. wonder if i remember anything now. On the other hand , been working in IT /QA at work, so anything related to that ?

Its sad , I know , wanting to write GRE without knowing for what , but me needs to get myself out if this complacent situation I'm stuck in.

greenhorn said:
Need to decide on some universities. Biosbhai tells me that we gotta apply to some a week before we write it ( writing on 16th :ashamed:

Still no clue whether to go with MBA or MS, but now the details about MS need to be fixed.

Electronics was my core subject. wonder if i remember anything now. On the other hand , been working in IT /QA at work, so anything related to that ?

Its sad , I know , wanting to write GRE without knowing for what , but me needs to get myself out if this complacent situation I'm stuck in.

you REALLY need to take a decision mate :p

check out edulix.com for help on univ selection. they have a very good forum.

about the part of a week before, i think he meant the on spot univ selection. you can forward gre scores to 4 univs without any additional payment. you do this just after finishing your test. otherwise, you gotta pay 17usd for every score report you send.

http://www.techenclave.com/guides-a...plying-engineering-grad-schools-us-63834.html

It's kind of old, but some of it may be pertinent to you. The links to the pdf arent working, but if u want it, pm me an email address i can send it to.

If you want to do an MS in an engg subject, you should be really interested in it because it can get quite tough depending on your specialization and profs. i.e. you would need to brush up on your core fundamentals. MBA, not so much background education but a lot of hard work once youre in it (a lot like india), and work experience helps with the job hunt.

You do NOT have to apply to univs before you write the gre, but its a good idea to shortlist universities since you get to send your scores to a certain number of them for free after you write it. More details in the application guide.

1st narrow it down to either an MBA or an MS - you'll have to give GMAT for most firang B-Schools (and the ISB), thats another $250 or so...

You get to send it to 4 univ's free when you give the GRE, the rest you pay $20 a recipient.

As for the preps - the method that worked for me, was that I used to read Barron's and then try and use those words in an essay. So by the time i gave the exam, i had pretty much learned all the words, and had practised writing about 26-30 essays. Win-win. And maths - except for probability theory its kids stuff, practise a little to avoid making stupid mistakes and you'll get 800/800 without batting an eyelid.
And do leave ample time for your SOP's and Recos, else you'll end up like me :p

_pappu_ said:
^^the GRE score doesnt matter...its just a given that you have to take it

the recommendations matter the most

nope :p

everything counts. its the whole package that matters and not the components taken individually :)

Yup, sum of the parts matters the most, really high and really low scores will make them take a second glance at your app :)

A published research paper in a decent journal will pretty much guarantee an admit into most univ's

- see if you can get one done before you apply :p

frak thats awesome :O

'grats :hap2:

But how'd you get a date so quick? normally its booked solid for two weeks...

anyway, awesome stuff dude, now don't choke in TOEFL :devil2: :lol:

what , me worry :p ?

Never prepared for an exam for > 24 hours ever in my life ( well about 95% of the time :ashamed:) Don't plan to start now :D

Back