Linux help with linux mint...

latino_ansari

Disciple
hey i have just installed the linux mint 8 (GNOME) ... there are some problem i have run into

1. the network manager is unable to connect to internet... i am on a DSL connection with password... I have put in the settings but it says u r not connected... I have to use pppoeconf to connect 2 internet... i searched the internet and found out that if i install the new version of network manager then it will solve the problem... After installin it the network applet is not coming in the taskbar... Any solution...

2. I want 2 share utorrent settings between windows 7 and linux... so i tried the tutorial give in the tutorial section of techenclave... the problem is i am unable to access the utorrent settings folder in windows 7 which resides inside the c:\documents&settings\user_name\... everytime i go inside the documents and settings folder of windows 7 in linux ... i cannot find anything inside it... even using the terminal doesn't work it says that the folder doesn't exist...

3. The guide says to install utorrent tru wine in linux... but new utorrent is not installable... its just that we double click on the downloaded file and it open... how to install utorrent????

4. the last problem is i install NTFS-Configuration tool to auto mount the windows partitions at startup.... but when i try to start it nothing happens...

please help...

latino_ansari said:
hey i have just installed the linux mint 8 (GNOME) ... there are some problem i have run into

Linux mint 8 is based on Ubuntu 9.10, hence all you can search all the solutions available.

1. the network manager is unable to connect to internet... i am on a DSL connection with password... I have put in the settings but it says u r not connected... I have to use pppoeconf to connect 2 internet... i searched the internet and found out that if i install the new version of network manager then it will solve the problem... After installin it the network applet is not coming in the taskbar... Any solution...

Well, to be frank networkmanager is buggy and often does not work as expected. First thing i do whenever I install ubuntu is remove networkmanager.Hence its best to use pppoe / pon dsl-provider.these tools work best.

I also understand that it can be trivial for a new user to remember these commands. so you can use a GUI tools called gpppon
Code:
2. I want 2 share utorrent settings between windows 7 and linux... so i tried the tutorial give in the tutorial section of techenclave... the problem is i am unable to access the utorrent settings folder in windows 7 which resides inside the c:\documents&settings\user_name\... everytime i go inside the documents and settings folder of windows 7 in linux ... i cannot find anything inside it... even using the terminal doesn't work it says that the folder doesn't exist...

3. The guide says to install utorrent tru wine in linux... but new utorrent is not installable... its just that we double click on the downloaded file and it open... how to install utorrent????

Well, running utorrent on wine is not the right approach. you should always try to run native linux apps instead of wine.so I would suggest you use deluge torrent or vuze - classic mode.

Now for sharing of downloads, you do the following in both clients(utorrent and deluge)

1) Set single Download location for all your files. it can be any ntfs/fat32 partition.

2) Set Single location for .torrent files in both

3) configure both clients to load .torrent files automatically from location set in 2)

4. the last problem is i install NTFS-Configuration tool to auto mount the windows partitions at startup.... but when i try to start it nothing happens...

please help...

This is strange, the Installer does automount the partitons on its on, anyways:

you can try running it from terminal and see what happens

Code:
$sudo ntfs-config

if that fails, then add entry to corresponding partition in /etc/fstab and it would automounted at boot time

Hope it helps:hap2:

latino_ansari said:

Install wine from the synaptic package manager. To install the latest version of wine follow the Ubuntu Karmic guide:

WineHQ - Wine for Debian based distributions

latino_ansari said:
After installin it the network applet is not coming in the taskbar... Any solution...

System > Preferences > Sessions

Under start-up programs check for Network manager .It should be checked .If its missing add an entry

click new

Code:
Name: Network Manager

Command : nm-applet --sm-disable

click ok

restart

Note: And make sure you have the notification area in your panel .Thats where the network manager applet resides .

hey thanks for help....

1. used gpppon

2. used the method by Gaurish... thankx dude

3. no need for this using no. 2 solution.

4. just reinstalled Ntfs-config and everything worked....

thanks everyone for help....

Back