WP HERE Maps Vs Google Maps??

Rockfella

Playing BFV
ex-Mod
After always being paranoid of getting lost driving in Delhi/NCR I finally bought the new Nokia Lumia 525 on 26-1-14. Lumia 625 was on my mind but it is shaped like a soap and the higher models were out of budget/huge/not needed so settled with 525.

Yes, wanna know real world/in the trenches experience /views of both. I bought this phone for the sole purpose of navigation, am happy with my Asha 210 as a back up or who knows primary phone.

The 525 is a newer 520 with 1GB ram (good for gaming they say) instead of 512 mb of the 520. It comes with full fledged GPS.

Have been head banging with its GPS since then.

My thoughts:

I have tried Google maps (on Android phone?) once or twice, though the navigation was okay I didn't like the female's voice lol and for some reason it didn't feel top notch (IMO) but that is just my experience with Google maps (Android phone) only twice and on a friend's phone with no tweaking and he was not a regular GPS user anyway so can't rely on a non-geek's advice hence posting this thread here.

Please share your experience with both. What's the difference between My Commute and Here Drive?
To my surprise I was receiving stupid airtel notifications while returning home last evening with the GPS and "cellular" on. The updates blocked the GPS! :wtf: and I had to switch back to main screen to get navigation again :banghead:

Then I went offline (flight mode) to avoid airtel notifications but felt that it degraded turn by turn navi as it missed a shorter route back from work.

Please share your thoughts.

Last edited:
Used both. I have had a bit better experience with the accuracy of both Google maps and Sygic over HERE maps, but HERE wins hands down with the ability to download country maps for offline use. Now, if you have plenty of data and mainly drive within the city where network is good, then Google map is the best option (and the most updated). But for all your offline needs, and especially when your are not using a fast Android device, nothing can beat the responsiveness of HERE.

My commute help here: http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/08/03/my-commute-a-step-by-step-guide/

Used both. I have had a bit better experience with the accuracy of both Google maps and Sygic over HERE maps, but HERE wins hands down with the ability to download country maps for offline use. Now, if you have plenty of data and mainly drive within the city where network is good, then Google map is the best option (and the most updated). But for all your offline needs, and especially when your are not using a fast Android device, nothing can beat the responsiveness of HERE.

My commute help here: http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/08/03/my-commute-a-step-by-step-guide/
This is a general guide, I need a geeky insight.

Last edited:
If you needed some geeky tweaks then should have stuck with Android. Even then there isn't much you can do over there.
I have been using Sygic maps - downloaded maps for all of India and the experience has been ok. I use it mostly when I am in Delhi and they have been able to get the job done. Mostly problems arise where lanes are merging into or from flyovers as it loses signal for a second or two and starts rerouting and that results in a loss of navigation for a good minute or so.
I had used Nokia Maps(predecessor of Here) on my trip to Goa. Navigation over there was pretty easy because no complex road network like Delhi and perhaps that is why I felt it to be a much better alternative. Have never used Google maps as online navigation is a joke at edge or even 3g speeds. Will try and test Here on my next trip to Delhi if I end up keeping my 1520 till that long.

Thanks for posting, I don't need some tweaks, only user experience from members. Appreciate it.
If you needed some geeky tweaks then should have stuck with Android. Even then there isn't much you can do over there.
I have been using Sygic maps - downloaded maps for all of India and the experience has been ok. I use it mostly when I am in Delhi and they have been able to get the job done. Mostly problems arise where lanes are merging into or from flyovers as it loses signal for a second or two and starts rerouting and that results in a loss of navigation for a good minute or so.
I had used Nokia Maps(predecessor of Here) on my trip to Goa. Navigation over there was pretty easy because no complex road network like Delhi and perhaps that is why I felt it to be a much better alternative. Have never used Google maps as online navigation is a joke at edge or even 3g speeds. Will try and test Here on my next trip to Delhi if I end up keeping my 1520 till that long.
[DOUBLEPOST=1391227781][/DOUBLEPOST]I get sim notifications from airtel while the app in on which shuts off the gps! This is so crazy! If i don't look at the phone i won't get further directions until i tap back to the map screen. Any way to avoid that?[DOUBLEPOST=1391259404][/DOUBLEPOST]Flash messages fixed:

1. In your phone settings locate ‘airtel live!’ menu.
2. Then ‘airtel now!’
2. Select Start/Stop > Stop.

Was so simple :eek:

Last edited:
Here Maps are way better. I've used it travelling between cities too. Download them and be happy :D
Keep Google maps too just in case.

Keep a spare battery though cause GPS requires some serious battery juice. For the 520, the original one comes to about Rs. 500ish.

Please share your experience with both. What's the difference between My Commute and Here Drive?
To my surprise I was receiving stupid airtel notifications while returning home last evening with the GPS and "cellular" on. The updates blocked the GPS! :wtf: and I had to switch back to main screen to get navigation again :banghead:

Then I went offline (flight mode) to avoid airtel notifications but felt that it degraded turn by turn navi as it missed a shorter route back from work.

Please share your thoughts.
Google maps requires a cell connection. So its using 3G. It's A-GPS (assisted)

525 (as all other lumias for that matter) has an offline GPS (same with high end androids), no need for a cell connection at all.

How well it works depends on the connection you have. In a car i'd think the gps would be fine by itself. You don't need cellular as well. Cellular is when you are in a building and cannot get a good line of sight to the satellite.

Its all about configuration.

HERE maps are better only with surfer dude voice . :p
google maps are the most updated. i use it for local usage, where roaming costs are not incurred .
SYGIC maps are used for inter state ravel. the newer version has its offline maps updated too and the nokia ones arent updated as yet.

i found SYGIC navigation useful for night driving too, i can predict the nature of the road and with sygic you get a chime when there is a sharp turn ahead, makes you aware of the speed limitations.

car mobile holder ? look for the capdase ones.

Here Maps are way better. I've used it travelling between cities too. Download them and be happy :D
Keep Google maps too just in case.

Keep a spare battery though cause GPS requires some serious battery juice. For the 520, the original one comes to about Rs. 500ish.
Nice. I have google maps + waze as well, will test it and compare it to Here Drive. Here Drive works great as of now. Thanks for the tip. Car charger would do.

I use gmaps wherever I go - i use 3G/2G on roaming - its free for me. I tried Sygic, but found gmaps better. However, battery drain is not that big a problem since I mostly travel intracity by car.

Just sharing: When I checked for updates for maps which came with the phone there were none. Once i downloaded new maps (not update) for multiple states, and then checked for updates, it gave me 100+ mb updates. Since then data usage while navigation has reduced to a great extent. Has this happened with anyone?[DOUBLEPOST=1391965218][/DOUBLEPOST]Ok, one more thing. I have saved my home location and every time I return home using GPS it changes it to somewhere else .. like half a kilometer away for some reason.

Last edited:
Using Google Maps on a 2G data connection(yes it works fine) in and around Mumbai/Navi Mumbai.

In my experience when you search for a destination in maps on 2G speeds it takes about 2-3 minutes to get the location and route. During this time if you dont keep touching the screen to prevent it from auto-locking you tend to loose the search query:mad:. Maps just forgets what you had typed and you have to type it again. That has pissed me off a lot in the past.

My solution search for the destination before you get in the car then start navigation, works just fine. :cool:

I have used both and to me; google maps are always more accurate (or lets say their maps are more recent). But I do like here maps as well; The app is not inferior by any mean; just that for some remote location; their maps are not updated.

Hmm... I think that there is no doubt that Google Maps are best solution for GPS and everything. Question would be the same if you ask is this site better then Google Maps site :D

Only my opinion :)

Back