OC & Modding High idle temps

Vignesh

Adept
I've recently put together my rig with a E6600 and a Thermalright Ultra 120 heatsink + 120mm fan.

I have done the usual clean up with rubbing alcohol on both IHS and heat sink base. I've applied as5 using the "thin red line" method as described in Artic silver website. After mounting the hsf, I tightened the screws in criss-cross fashion until I felt resistance.

My idle temps seem to be around 41-42 and load temps (when running Orthos blend test) around 48-49 as monitored by TAT. Config as follows:
cpu @ 300x9, vcore @ 1.275 everything else at auto. the board is a p5b-dlx running 0910 bios.

I've also tried re-mounting it a number of times now but to no effect. Having an open case also seems to have no effect :huh:

Any suggestions/ideas? Should I lap the IHS/heat sink?

^^ Temps are good to me.... try OCing a bit and see what effect it has on temps, sometimes these coolers only show their magic when voltages are higher compared to the stock cooler

The issue is its an Ultra-120 and no ordinary cooler :p. With the same cooler I get 39 idle @3.6GHz, 1.475V (1.4V real). I'm guessing that its gotta do with higher ambients.

Hi,
I have the same config as you P5b E6600 Ultra 120 running at 3.2ghz @ 1.25 volts i get all diff reading from all 3 software Core temp & TAT are pretty close 33 but aisuite is way off 24. load temp is 52 (44 Aisuite) with TAT 100% work load on both core so thats quite close to yours.

Thanks Farookh for that snapshot. I also found CoreTemp & TAT to be within couple of degrees between each other, but the Asus probe to be way off as usual. Anyways I'll try some more oc'in and see how the chip behaves. Maybe this chip is really running hotter than other steppings.

Will also try running the board in open air outside the case just to rule out anything with airflow within the case.

Back