HL2 installation query

Vignesh

Adept
I have my hands on a legit HL2 game of the year copy now. Sad part is I do not have net connection at home so am unable to install it. Can I install it on my office laptop and then copy it to get the stuff working? Is there any way at all to get it play without having a net connection?

PS: Am trying hard to get a Airtel connection at home, hopefully the Airtel guys will give me one soon.

Thanks,
Vignesh.

ya u can do that. install it at ur office. update it to the latest version via steam & then copy paste the whole steam dir at home in your pc.

when starting steam at your home, it will ask whether to run in offline mode. do that & then u can play.

This is how it will work...

Comp A with Internet

Comp B without Internet

Install HL2 and update the game fully on Comp A... Now create a backup from ingame backup uitility of everything... Download Staem(Just Steam) from www.steampowered.com... Make a DVD/CD's and bring them over to Comp B(Backup File + Staem)...

On comp B... Install staem... Connect to net... Update Staem... Close Steam... Disconnect... Run the backupfile... After the backup is complete connect to net and run steam agin... ta da... everything properly installed now... Staem will validate for few minutes on dial up and you are ready to play... Save your username and passowrd... Run the HL2 once while being online... Then exit out of the game... Exit from steam... Disonnect from net... Run staem again and now it will ask you to run in offline mode... Do that and you are done... Now you can even play offline...

Thanks for the info guys. Bad news is the Airtel serviceman came to my place yesterday to check the feasibility of connection and said it's not possible in my area. Guess I'll try what stormblast had posted and see if I can get to play the game. Meanwhile let me try my luck with bsnl/tataindicom...

Latest updates:
Those who have bought/planning to buy the HL2 GOTY edition please note - you will need to send a mail to
Code:
activ_support@wwcdrom.com
to receive a patch for the installer. Without this, the game will not get installed completely.
I managed to get the thing installed on my laptop while creating a new steam account in the process. I also updated the game to the latest revision. Yesterday night I did the same installation on my home pc and also copy pasted all the stuff from my steam folder to the home pc. So far good. I also copied the reg entries from the laptop to the pc. Am able to run the game in offline mode from within my laptop. However when I try to run the game on the pc, it says "steam account information is not stored on this computer. steam needs to connect to the server to verify this account".
Any idea where the steam account info is stored?
:mad: Man, the pains of not getting an internet connection.. Last resort am gonna carry the whole cpu to my friends place or to my office and get it activated.

Finally took the cpu to my friends place and got the damn thing activated. There is this file clientregistry.blob in your steam installation folder. When you connect and activate your game, steam creates this file with some encrypted data ( containing the path to the game, login information and stuff like that ). When you move your game installation to some other drive or disk, all you have to do is just copy paste the steam folder and just connect to steam to re-create this clientregistry.blob file.

vignesh i too had a hard time getting the hl2 goty edition game to work.
the only way i could install and update successfully was installing each game one by one. i had to install each game seperately and finish updating it and then go on to the next game...
but once everything was done it was flawless.

Back