Hobby - Collecting Old Things

puns

Staff member
Super Mod
How many of you into collecting old or odd stuff ?
Many of us had this hobby when we were young like collecting stamps, coins etc.
I still have some old stuff but not sure of their value or in case I want to sell them, how to price or where to sell them
How does valuation in India happen ?
I know ebay has old coins & stamps but never made a purchase.

what kind of old stuff you got? stamps and coins , go to your local numismatic and phitely club , plus there are books on them , which puts a value of all stamps
other antiques , take it to antique shop or search for antique clubs on fb

Finally a reply.
Ive got stamps, coins, books and some other stuff which was handed down generations.
I'll look out for these clubs. Do you have any links ?

these clubs are different in different cities , earlier it used to come in hindu paper in a tiny place where they meet :p, the book i think is called stanley gibbons or something similar :)

For coins and stamps i guess there is auction houses like toddywala .Some google search will be really helpfull to know about it and know about its valuations.

Speaking of odd collection, till I was in 9th Std, used to collect match box covers... Don`t remember number of total cards I was having but do remember I was having atleast 20 different cards having horse displayed !

It was weird hobby in family and relatives perspective but somewhere I used to like it a lot...

I am a collector of stamps coins...
Its not easy to sell extra stuff...i also tried selling some of my extra stuff but was not fully successful...check pm :)

Last edited:
Speaking of odd collection, till I was in 9th Std, used to collect match box covers... Don`t remember number of total cards I was having but do remember I was having atleast 20 different cards having horse displayed !

Yeah, that was all the rage in the 90s. Everyone used to collect those as well as play card games like old maid using match box and cigarette covers. There even used to be a shop where you could buy matchbox covers. That was before the wwf/cricket cards with bubble gum came around.

It was weird hobby in family and relatives perspective but somewhere I used to like it a lot...
Hey, even I had the same hobby till I started working. In fact in my first trip to Paris, I collected around 17 types. I used to collect one sample of each match type. As per my last count some 7 years back total match types were 367. Besides I also used to collect candy wrappers, and cigarette pack covers. I have stopped collecting them for last several years. I don't know where these are now. I am sure sometime I will come across my collections somewhere in my attic/old cupboard.

you mean old bottle(s) :p
j/k aside, I have couple of those too.
Some things which I wont be allowed to trade or sell as it will be illegal :oops:

Hmmm.

Weird. I have all the 3 things you just spoke of. plus currency notes. Since I am in US I have no time to expand my collection. :( :(. And I AM NOT GOING TO LET THAT GO EITHER. :) :)

Im finally cataloging my collection. should be done in few weeks.
Will then look at exchanging & also growing the collection.

Oh, I also forgot marbles - the round glass objects - that we used to play with, in our childhood. I used to win a lot of marbles in our Mohalla competitions. I remember storing them in chalk boxes numbering around 20 boxes. Now I have hardly 20 marbles left with me.

I collect boxes. All those Amazon and flipkart boxes are still with me. Have around 30 of them hidden under my bed. My mom threw the others. That's the reason it's hidden :p

Back