Hobbyist Drill?

rock_ya_baby

~~~=o=~~~
Adept
I am done making my Raspberry Pi 3 + WiFi security camera Door Bell prototype. Now final step, I have to mount the cam into the peephole.

I need a low power drill which can help me mount few frames screws, 1cm deep around the door peephole.

Please suggest which drill to get?

Thanks guys. I'll see a hardware shop first to see if there are any worthwhile drills. I'd like to have one handy as some or the other DIY projects seem to always have a need for a drill.

i got a bosch 550 watt 13 mm drill from snapdeal , pretty awesome , next going to buy the bosch jigsaw from amazon

Depends, we had a Black and Decker drill, kept conking off, then got a chinese one, and it has been touchwood since. Ask the local chap, he will guide you better.

Kind of drill depends on what kind of materials you'll be dealing with. Or the kind of DIY.

Brand etc depends on the money you want to invest. Each brand makes several kinds of drills.

- Precise and minute drilling - rotary tool - jewelry, case modding, polishing, small scale work.
- Precise but bigger holes - rotary drill - wood/sheet material, stainless steel sheets, ceramic tiles etc, polishing, sanding, work inside small spaces - cabinets/drawers etc.
- Precise holes but in hard material - percussion drill - hardwood, small holes in brick walls for hanging picture frames etc- lightduty work.
- Heavyduty work - hammer drill - not precise. Deep holes in walls for hanging TVs, Geysers etc., Huge holes in walls for exhaust fans/conduits etc. Any kind of demolition work on concrete, tiles etc. Uses SDS bits, which are wobbly and therefore can't be used for precise work.
- Huge but precise holes - diamond core drill - for making neat holes in walls for conduits, exhaust fans etc.
- Heavyduty screwdriving - Drill-Driver - for driving screws in logwood, removing wheel lugs etc
- Lightduty Screwdriving - any battery operated drill with clutch - Clutch prevents bit slippage and screw-head shearing.

If you just buy any drill based on money or brand preference, you'll be disappointed later on. Buy according to your needs. Some drills can be shared between different types of tasks with attachments but then it limits their capacity.

Reputed manufacturers make drills for regular and professional use. Obviously the latter ones are costly. So look into that aspect as well. Bosch blue is pro and costlier than its cousin Skil. Makita has blue range for pro use and red for regular. B&D is for home/regular use and often comes with a kit. In general, all the regular/home/DIY use stuff comes with some kind of ready-to-use kits. You'll have to buy attachments/accessories etc separately for tools meant for professional use.

Back