Budget 0-20k Home PC (HTPC) on Budget

altainta

Disciple
Hi All.
I need a suggestion on building my sister pc.
As she will be using this mostly for watching Movies/netflix/amazon prime.
And also Youtube. Normal Office work.
  1. What is your budget?
    • 20K for CPU
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor (VGA CONNECTION ONLY) & TV with HDMI in. I want both ports on the Motherboard.
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - Dell 22” old
    • Key Board / Mouse Wireless
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU + MOBO (VGA & HDMI) + RAM 8GB (small form factor)
    • Wifi inbuilt if available in mobo
    • Speaker 2.1 or 2.0 bluetooth compatible. So it can be used for TV as well
    • 500gb/1TB depending on budget...256gb SSD will work too.
    • Cabinet Mini formfactor. Even ITX suggestion is welcome for MOBO and Cabinet. As i intent to hang it or similar.
    • Antivirus all in one.
    • (optional) UPS
    • (optional) Printer (cheapest maintenance & printing cost) mostly for kids acitivity..wifi will be prefered too..
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • No upgrade for 5 years.
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Mumbai (LAMINGTON ROAD)
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • HTPC - Watching HD movies... 1080p & 4k Compatible
    • Gaming (VERY VERY LIGHT for 3yr kid) mostly browser based
    • Browsing
    • Desktop Processing
    • Download rig, 24x7 operation
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • iBall & Intex
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Not that heavy very light mostly toddler or small kid oriented.
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
  1. TV - 1080p & 4K
  2. Monitor - I have VGA based normal monitor.
12. Are you looking to overclock?
  • No.
13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
  • mostly windows 10 64bit
  • Also want to mention Antivirus is also needed.

Please let me know a VFM for the above config. Mostly HTPC & small form factor is prefered..

I am using 2200G with 4GB memory. I am running emulator, playing PUBG and lot more which are heavier than yours. So instead of spending more on memory for HTPC build, you can spend more on better PSU.
These are your choices, which you wanna lean that's upto you.
Pentium or Ryzen
8GB or 4GB
Generic PSU or Antec

With Ryzen+8GB memory+Antec PSU you don't have any money left for speakers. But with Pentium you will have about 1700/- for speakers.

Pentium G5400 | Ryzen 2200G
Asrock H310CM HDV | Asrock A320M HDV

Corsair/Kingston/Adata DDR4 8GB 2400Mhz | 4GB DDR4
Crucial MX500 250GB
Generic cabinet with PSU | Generic cabinet + Antec BP450p

I am using 2200G with 4GB memory. I am running emulator, playing PUBG and lot more which are heavier than yours. So instead of spending more on memory for HTPC build, you can spend more on better PSU.
These are your choices, which you wanna lean that's upto you.
Pentium or Ryzen
8GB or 4GB
Generic PSU or Antec

With Ryzen+8GB memory+Antec PSU you don't have any money left for speakers. But with Pentium you will have about 1700/- for speakers.

Pentium G5400 | Ryzen 2200G
Asrock H310CM HDV | Asrock A320M HDV

Corsair/Kingston/Adata DDR4 8GB 2400Mhz | 4GB DDR4
Crucial MX500 250GB
Generic cabinet with PSU | Generic cabinet + Antec BP450p

Thanks for the response.

But I didn't quite understand..

1) I mean is it 4K compatible config ? 30fps 60fps ? What abt the inbuild graphic ? Which is superior ?
2) Regarding the RAM. I thought that if we open lots of browser tabs it should be able to sustain. The thing is when you watch the movie similar time while browsing it will be hanging issues.
So multitasking must be there.
3) Why intel recommendation when AMD is way cheaper than INTEL (My thinking) please answer this what benefit of choosing intel over amd ? what will i loose or gain ?

Thanks

1. Obviously 2200G's is far superior than Pentium's iGPU. Both can do 4k 60fps, but for that you either need HDMI 2.0/DP port in your board. Your budget is not sufficient to get that, so with the boards suggested you can enjoy 4k 24p
2. With this tight budget, there will be some compromise. Where you want to compromise, that's up to you. RAM or PSU or CPU.
3. Why Pentium? Coz, it's cheaper which would allow you to get better PSU and/or 8GB RAM.

How much should i increase to get that HDMI 2,0 or higher ?
As i would like to have this system for at least 7 yrs no upgrade. Mostly for media playable..

If I remember right, Intel doesn't have HDMI 2.0 in any of their board. So if you opt for Intel, to get 4k 60p you need DP. Do you have a monitor or TV which has DP? If no, there is no point in going for Intel.

Intel or AMD, board alone will cost you about 6.5-7k at least. That's about the price of your CPU or more if you opt for Pentium.

Why do you even need a powerful HTPC in the first place? I used to dabble with HTPC since 1999 until a few years ago. Now both my HTPCs are lying idle. I really see not much use of a HTPC. If all that you do from a media consumption point of view is to watch OTT content then why not go for a good Android TV Box like the nVidia Shield TV? I hear they are launching a new version now. Invest in plex if you are going to watch downloaded content and watch it on the Shield TV.

As far as normal office work is concerned any PC will work.

Why do you even need a powerful HTPC in the first place? I used to dabble with HTPC since 1999 until a few years ago. Now both my HTPCs are lying idle. I really see not much use of a HTPC. If all that you do from a media consumption point of view is to watch OTT content then why not go for a good Android TV Box like the nVidia Shield TV? I hear they are launching a new version now. Invest in plex if you are going to watch downloaded content and watch it on the Shield TV.

As far as normal office work is concerned any PC will work.

For me these stupid android boxes don't work. They have very poor upscaling quality. I use madvr to upscale to 2160p and even with basic filters, the 1050 ti in my htpc is completely maxed out.

For me these stupid android boxes don't work. They have very poor upscaling quality. I use madvr to upscale to 2160p and even with basic filters, the 1050 ti in my htpc is completely maxed out.
You are absolutely right ! They will have a lot of wear and tear always !

@skoka123
I already did buy 2 android boxes plus modified an old xbox for XBMC center.
The thing is they stop working and need lots of maintenance and upgrade doesn't happen.
They are very cumbersome to work with. Just forget how family will operate it.. My experience is way older when the ATOM was first released amd XBOX1 modding was in boom.
They will surely not have support for one of the streaming services such as Amazon prime, netflix, jio etc etc
If you say like that wouldn't Rasperyy pi latest or Asus tinker suffice my need plus do more than what current android box offer (e.g home automation)?

Sometime i think just a asus vivobook in the range of 30k would suffice my CURRENT need. Do you guys have any suggestion ?
The above suggestion are all MICROATX even if i increase the budget 25K will i get anything better (ITX)? I am lagging some current market knowledge hear so need your assistance guys !

One more thing i wanted to add.. That why HTPC the thing is i am most concerned with the formfactor and Playback..A computer table is way more clumsy in one bhk..I want to hang this on wall. As most of the family spend time watching movies/music on it.
Other use will be browsing, Microsoft office and small office like work that's it nothing else..

Last edited:
Not many ITX boards are launched. And not all of them making it to our market. The ones make it are not widely available and they are expensive.
SFF ITX case are again expensive and compatible PSU is hard to find. If you want that kinda form factor, your best bet would be pre build PC. New or used.

thx.. i decided to go with laptop. ASUS VIVOBOOK 15 ryzen r5 3500u .
ASUS VivoBook 15 X512DA-EJ438T
It will suffice the minimal need. The budget increased due to laptop selection.
Thanks for all the efforts but really hard to find itx & their related parts!
THX again nac saved my hours of r&d

You are absolutely right ! They will have a lot of wear and tear always !

@skoka123
I already did buy 2 android boxes plus modified an old xbox for XBMC center.
The thing is they stop working and need lots of maintenance and upgrade doesn't happen.
They are very cumbersome to work with. Just forget how family will operate it.. My experience is way older when the ATOM was first released amd XBOX1 modding was in boom.
They will surely not have support for one of the streaming services such as Amazon prime, netflix, jio etc etc
If you say like that wouldn't Rasperyy pi latest or Asus tinker suffice my need plus do more than what current android box offer (e.g home automation)?

Sometime i think just a asus vivobook in the range of 30k would suffice my CURRENT need. Do you guys have any suggestion ?
The above suggestion are all MICROATX even if i increase the budget 25K will i get anything better (ITX)? I am lagging some current market knowledge hear so need your assistance guys !

One more thing i wanted to add.. That why HTPC the thing is i am most concerned with the formfactor and Playback..A computer table is way more clumsy in one bhk..I want to hang this on wall. As most of the family spend time watching movies/music on it.
Other use will be browsing, Microsoft office and small office like work that's it nothing else..

Then clearly you have not seen nvidia Shield in action (https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/). I had an extra one that I got from US that I sold at cost to one of the forum members. It just works ALL the time just like any electronic device should. Simple, plug and play. @vivek.krishnan too has one I think. Please visit the Shield TV website. I am sure you will perspective of an Android TV box will change. This is coming from someone who had dabbled in HTPC for over 15 years.

You both guys are absolutely Right.. Thanks for the suggestion

1) NVIDIA shield. Pure beast for Home entertainment ! I forgotten that you reminded me again ! Will consider this for own purchase. It just Miss PC.
2) Asrock Desk Mini series IS VERY COOL i mean for Pure HTPC. Combination of both world.. Thx Man.

I am currently using for my self GIGABYTE z55n-wifi which is miniitx since last 4 year or more. https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/GA-Z77N-WIFI-rev-10
In past i always ordered pc/laptop/mother board mostly from usa amazon.com and newegg due to unavailability in the indian market. Mostly HTPC related things.

Will soon make new purchase.. :)
If you guys do have any suggestion or something to add please it will be pleasure.

You both guys are absolutely Right.. Thanks for the suggestion

1) NVIDIA shield. Pure beast for Home entertainment ! I forgotten that you reminded me again ! Will consider this for own purchase. It just Miss PC.
2) Asrock Desk Mini series IS VERY COOL i mean for Pure HTPC. Combination of both world.. Thx Man.

I am currently using for my self GIGABYTE z55n-wifi which is miniitx since last 4 year or more. https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/GA-Z77N-WIFI-rev-10
In past i always ordered pc/laptop/mother board mostly from usa amazon.com and newegg due to unavailability in the indian market. Mostly HTPC related things.

Will soon make new purchase.. :)
If you guys do have any suggestion or something to add please it will be pleasure.

Shield doesn't support Dolby Atmos Passthrough if that matters to you. Also it has issues with HDR10+ and Dolby Vision where dynamic HDR metadata is involved. Neither is HLG supported. Only vanilla HDR10 works somewhat.

If HDR doesn't matter to you, I guess you should be fine. Else I'd suggest something that has an intel HD630 or higher if going integrated or NVIDIA 1050 Ti or higher if going with a discrete GPU. All generations before that suck for HTPC with modern HDR formats.

Also it pains me to say Netflix HDR is borked on Radeon cards - so do not buy them. Its an issue AMD knows since a couple of years but they still haven't fixed the same.

Shield doesn't support Dolby Atmos Passthrough if that matters to you. Also it has issues with HDR10+ and Dolby Vision where dynamic HDR metadata is involved. Neither is HLG supported. Only vanilla HDR10 works somewhat.

If HDR doesn't matter to you, I guess you should be fine. Else I'd suggest something that has an intel HD630 or higher if going integrated or NVIDIA 1050 Ti or higher if going with a discrete GPU. All generations before that suck for HTPC with modern HDR formats.

Also it pains me to say Netflix HDR is borked on Radeon cards - so do not buy them. Its an issue AMD knows since a couple of years but they still haven't fixed the same.

Thx for this valuable research and input.
I recorded this because it is very crucial info !

Back