Audio Home podcasting/recording/video rig recommendations

ronnie_gogs

Morphing from a Geek to a Nerd
Skilled
Hi,

I want to setup a home podcasting/recording/video rig for myself...

Present h/w is Macbook pro 13 + Shure 440 for monitoring
Will use garageband and audacity for recording and playing

Things I plan to get in a month
1) Guitar
Electric guitar.... I am a beginner and have a acoustic at home but want to get an electric one which I can directly record and learn

Considerations
Epiphone Special II Price : around 280 SGD
Epiphone Special II - SV Guitars

Is it a good option or should I go lower or something in the same range which is better

2) Mixer and USB/Firewire audio interface

Consideration
Alesis Multimix 4
M- Audio Fast Track II

Is it a good option or should I go lower or something in the same range which is better

3) Mic
Not sure about this yet but might get one condenser eventually
Setup has to be cheap and best value .... I am not doing professional recording... Just record videos and try to make some music

^ do you have an amp for your guitar yet?

the Epi's are nice, though i own a Greg Benett myself. you can get a Greg Benett AV3 which IMHO sounds much better at a slightly higher price :) Should be around 15k/16k at your local Furtados

the mixer, well that depends on what you want to do with your setup. if you want to play>record & then see how you're doing then a mixer is not all that important, you can get a processor and plug it all in an amp which support XLR inputs (for the mic)

So basically your setup becomes

1) mic>via XLR> Amp

2) Guitar > processor > Amp

3) Amp > Via Audio Out> MBP

for Microphones, the Shure SM57 is the ideal beginner/intermediate mic. you pretty much wont need a mic ever again :) Would cost you around 5/6k

i don't know much about USB microphones, so someone else may help with that

cheers

I dont think I would need a get a Amp or a processor

Part of the reason I want to get the electric now is since I have a macbook pro...

[youtube]yyNZrYzM1WQ[/YouTube]

[youtube]U_rxNA620GE[/youtube]

I just want to play in my room only...

Do I still need an amp :huh:

I was considering guitar options available in Singapore and really dont want to spend on a expensive guitar... The AV3 is really good and I liked the AV1 too

I like Les Paul Style guitars only... :)

About Mixer and audio interface

I am more interested in getting something which has phantom power to drive condenser mics and also something which can handle the guitar input to the laptop

The alesis one is the only one which is a mixer + usb interface

i am not sure about the macbook pro solution. from what i know, guitar output should ideally be connected to a pre-amp atleast ..because the signal is quite low in strength...you're talking about the difference in vibrations (due to plucking/strumming) picked up by the in-built guitar transducer ;). there are quite cheap M-Audio or Line6 solutions that let you do that. alternatively, you can use a sound card line-in to do the same. I guess this is where your Mixer+USB comes in, so yeah that's a smart choice

But, as i said, i don't own a MBP, so can't comment. i've used AmpliTube on my iPhone and that works out pretty ok (atleast for recording) and mobility of use ;) having said that, i can't see why you wouldn't wanna go for an Amp...they're pretty cheap and small. there's the Roland Micro-cube (15W) that'd be quite enough for your needs. I agree on the processor part though, you don't need it and there are some nifty programmes that'd do the same sound effects/tones on the laptop (even AmpliTube has some)

Doesnt SGD280 work out to around 12k ... you can definitely get a beginner Yamaha as well. Also, Greg Bennetts are made in SE Asia, though am not sure where all. You may want to check on Price. FWIW, the best way to get a feel of the guitar is by holding it in your hand :)

i don't know much about home recording equipment, so someone here may be more suited to help than me

Back