Home theatre Under 50K for a 300 sq foot living room

zmachine

Recruit
Hi
I am looking for some good sound(thinking of a 5.1) for a 300 sq feet living room. Typically will be used for TV, music and the occasional movie over the weekend.
I absolutely dont know where to begin, any help/pointers would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi
I am looking for some good sound(thinking of a 5.1) for a 300 sq feet living room. Typically will be used for TV, music and the occasional movie over the weekend.
I absolutely dont know where to begin, any help/pointers would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Budget?
Check hifimart.com and htstore.in etc, audition before you buy always ; if possible.

Thanks a lot for your inputs, I did check both out and they both seem to be pretty good for my requirements.
Any pointers over which one to select? Track record, reliability....etc.

Any pointers over which one to select? Track record, reliability....etc.

regards reliability --> Yamaha...globally regarded for its reliability.
however, since your music-listening would be more than movie-watching, may I recommend Marantz? very good for music (warm sound signature), and does justice to movies too. however, models like NR-1506, NR-1605 would alone touch 50k. and speakers you'll have to buy separately.

if 50k is your strict budget with no room for future-purchases, then makes sense to get an HTiB of the likes mentioned earlier. I'd also recommend looking at denon, like denon x500. musically 'sound'.

in Yamaha, if possible, get an audition of YHT-299 as well. AVR of 299 & 2910 are the same AFAIK.

How about the Bose CineMate 15 home cinema speaker system? Will the sound be comparable?
I saw this at my friend's place, couldn't really test it cause his son was asleep. But he vouched for it and kinda brainwashed me into considering it.

Speakers - 1. Energy take classic 5.1
2. Wharfedale dx 1 se

Receiver : Yamaha rx v479

Going to a cost a you a little more tgan 50k, but since you're investing might as well go a bit extra get the best you can.

Just checked the cost of Energy Take Classic - am truly shocked. They used to be <10k ~5 years back; and, very few takers.

not that less too....were above atleast 20-25k back even then, & were quickly moved out from the Indian mkt, but yes, not to the price they're presently available for on amzn.

@zmachine - if buying simply an AVR (Yamaha), would suggest to look at either Polk RTi series (said to pair well with Yamaha AVRs), or Polk TSX-550, or Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-FS52 (27-28k for a pair; check with locak ProFX dealer), or Boston Acoustics A250 (~30k a pair)...rest speakers in the chain you may add later. would suggest a demo at ProFX or any place where Yamaha AVRs are stocked & they have a good inventory of speakers.

Last edited:
DTH Audio is severely anemic - Movies and Sports. You will get a lot of inconsistent performance depending on content and channels.

If you have a Blu Ray Player and have a collection of Blu Ray movies or plan on jumping on the bandwagon then it is okay.
on PC, You'll have to refresh your entire library of "You know whats" from 2.0 Audio to 6 channel or more audio. If you are genuinely interested in good meaty soundtracks in movies it's 15-20 GB.

If you are not a movie buff or a gamer I'd say get a set of book shelf speakers and Stereo amp for music.

Do not think I'm trying to dissuade you. Have met a lot of folks expecting multi channel stereo from 5 speakers and they get disappointed with Music.

Say no to HTiBs. Some good suggestions have been made on the post above. I'm on my 2nd Receiver (Yamaha, Denon) but for music I'm saving up for a Stereo Amp.

Denon & Yamaha both are very good for movies, Yamaha is a little more musical.

Thanks guys.
I'm mostly going to be using this system for watching TV(football, occasional movies) and on occasions connecting my phone/ipod for music and maybe youtube. 100% not planning for bluray players.
It's just that since I'm doing up the place thought I'd invest in a decent sound system.
Sorry if i was'nt very clear earlier and really appreciate the inputs.

Check if the (powered) Audioengine 5 is still availabe. Similar to bookshelf speakers, no need for any amp, great sound. I have their smaller bro Audioengine 2.

Back