Home Wifi solution

srinivas_ajay

Disciple
Hi
I am not sure this is already discussed. In my new flat, the network cable is concealed and I should keep the modem/router at Main hall near tv unit. Now my computer room is little far. I have to use the Wifi Signal for Airtel Xtreme + plus 4 mobiles. Which modem/wifi router/repeater will give seamless wifi. I need to purchase ethernet cable to be given the technician to pull inside home. My friend suggested to go for AMP Cat6 ethernet cable. I searched in Amazon but its not showing AMP make. Any leads.

REgards
Srinivasa

I think any basic router should be okay while it is connected from main router via Ethernet cable. You should be able to get Cat 6 cable in any local shop.

Cat 6 is for distance of 100m and over. The cable has a plastic rib in the core for re-inforcement. The last time i had cat 6 coming to my home, over ten years back, it was from a roof top of another building over a 100m away.

why do you need that in a home ?

Cat 5 should be enough.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I checked the feasibility with Airtel and they offer V fiber in the place where I bought flat. Hence they will give me the cable free of cost and its scheduled to be given tomorrow.

Hi
I am not sure this is already discussed. In my new flat, the network cable is concealed and I should keep the modem/router at Main hall near tv unit. Now my computer room is little far. I have to use the Wifi Signal for Airtel Xtreme + plus 4 mobiles. Which modem/wifi router/repeater will give seamless wifi. I need to purchase ethernet cable to be given the technician to pull inside home. My friend suggested to go for AMP Cat6 ethernet cable. I searched in Amazon but its not showing AMP make. Any leads.

Regards
Srinivasa
If its a long length, then count it, go to any shop with cat6 DLINK copper cable and get it cut to a little more than the size, and get it crimped. Costs 20rs Metre and crimping connectors extra . Buying readymade cable will cost lot more.

Cat 6 is for distance of 100m and over. The cable has a plastic rib in the core for re-inforcement. The last time i had cat 6 coming to my home, over ten years back, it was from a roof top of another building over a 100m away.

why do you need that in a home ?

Cat 5 should be enough.

Not quite correct. Cat5 maxes out at 100 mpbs. These days with gigabit connections you need to go for a minimum of Cat6. I had Cat5 wiring in my house and upgraded my Airtel BB to 200 mpbs yet I was only getting 95mbps. It was only later I realized that the cat5 cable was the limiting factor. Changing to cat6 immediately solved the problem.

Not quite correct. Cat5 maxes out at 100 mpbs. These days with gigabit connections you need to go for a minimum of Cat6. I had Cat5 wiring in my house and upgraded my Airtel BB to 200 mpbs yet I was only getting 95mbps. It was only later I realized that the cat5 cable was the limiting factor. Changing to cat6 immediately solved the problem.
He probably means cat 5e. It can easily do Gigabit. Over medium distances.

If you have a cat5 wire with 8 wires inside, you could crimp a cat6 connector and see if the distance is short enough to give you gigabit. Its limited to exact 100mbps when only 4 wires are connected/crimped.

He probably means cat 5e. It can easily do Gigabit. Over medium distances.

If you have a cat5 wire with 8 wires inside, you could crimp a cat6 connector and see if the distance is short enough to give you gigabit. Its limited to exact 100mbps when only 4 wires are connected/crimped.

Hmm... I need check it then. I bought what I thought was Cat5e in 2006. It was not as easily available in those days as it is today. As I was only getting up to 100mpbs I assumed I was sold Cat5 instead of Cat5e. I will now have to check if it has 8 wires and if only 4 of them are crimped. The distances are no more than 20 meters.

Hi, Airtel Fibernet connection given and they provided me the cable free of cost. Now the issue is in the new house the wiring for internet given for Main hall (drawing room). I kept my laptop in another bedroom. I thought of buying Xiaomi Pro 300M WiFi Amplifier 2.4G WIFI Repeater Extender Signal Boosters. Will it work. My Airtel Plan is 200 mbps. Any other suggestions.

Hi, Airtel Fibernet connection given and they provided me the cable free of cost. Now the issue is in the new house the wiring for internet given for Main hall (drawing room). I kept my laptop in another bedroom. I thought of buying Xiaomi Pro 300M WiFi Amplifier 2.4G WIFI Repeater Extender Signal Boosters. Will it work. My Airtel Plan is 200 mbps. Any other suggestions.

You will definitely need a wired connection b/w the Airtel router and your Wifi Repeater. I would instead suggest going for iBall Mesh router. It is cheaper and you will have an option of adding mode nodes and move around the house seamlessly.

I got this for a friend and faced a lot of issues. This thing is very flaky. Dont get it. Its an on going torture though the coverage is good.
Really? I have 1 gigabit version and 2 non gigabit versions in use for the last 3 months. I set them to restart at night.

I have now purchased the gigabit version again.

Really? I have 1 gigabit version and 2 non gigabit versions in use for the last 3 months. I set them to restart at night.

I have now purchased the gigabit version again.
Yeah it had lot of issues. In bridge mode, we couldnt find PC's on the main router lan/wifi. The settings or the lack of them is very limiting. Odd behaviour all the time. Only good thing was the huge range it offered compared to the other cheap router that was already there.

Im not sure why anyone should get a product that needs to be restarted everyday :( (And most people say it needs it multiple times a day.)

Yeah it had lot of issues. In bridge mode, we couldnt find PC's on the main router lan/wifi. The settings or the lack of them is very limiting. Odd behaviour all the time. Only good thing was the huge range it offered compared to the other cheap router that was already there.

Im not sure why anyone should get a product that needs to be restarted everyday :( (And most people say it needs it multiple times a day.)

its iball for 1.5k per router what do you expect?

Back