hosting for website

rete

Recruit
Hi , I am in the process of building up my website .. I have bought a domain from Godaddy ... now do i also have there buy a hosting service ? plz advice

You can either use free hosting or paid hosting. Paid is recommended. Check out Digitalocean.com

Making a website = domain name + web hosting :xD

best free web host are weebly.com
and wix.com check them out

paid
u can buy there web hosting if u want ...
Bluehost is best
hostmetro is cheap and best
hostgator is good but handles dmca strickly i won;t recommend this (if u do go with them betetr to buy 1 yrs hosting only)

rest google is your best friend :p

Wait, Since you are just building the website right now, start by developing on your computer, you can use something like XAMPP. Once/if its developed to your liking you can host it on any hosting as the others have suggested.

Also what kind of website are you building? and in what language ?

Bluehost is best
hostgator is good but handles dmca strickly i won;t recommend this (if u do go with them betetr to buy 1 yrs hosting only)
Both are EIG brands. There was some discussion about it here. Long story short, you want to avoid any EIG owned hosts.

@rete what are your requirements. Do you need the root access of server? . If you do go cloud way (aws,digitalocean) there you get direct access to server so if your website require some kind of running script to get some stuff done. You can easily achieve it with cloud hosting provider but the down side of them is you have to manage server on your own eg. digitalocean don't have cpanel interface to manage hosting so have to do few things to secure your server/application or in case you have problem support won't help you much with application/server issues, but it works for me because managing server is kindof related to my day job

We i prefer namesilo for registering as they offer free whois protection for the same 8.99 USD per domain. Have 6 domains with them now. Godaddy its extra last time checked.

For hosting i tried godaddy, hostgator and even square space. I would say if you dont wanna bother too much with website squarespace works out great. cpanel and config dont matter so much as most of the time i installed a CMS like wordpress and all aspects are managed through that.

Currently I pay for a dedicated server with kimsufi which is part of OVH and pay around 19 USD a month for that. Although there cheapest is like 7 dollars month. Cant beat that for a dedicated server price. Please do note that if you use cheapest dedicated you wont get cpanel so will have to use a pay for that license or use a open source althernative like ispcofig, which i use and works like a charm. My dedicated server also works as a private VPN for me.

Sorry to hijack the thread.
I wanted to know how do I buy a domain which is bought by someone else.

What Do I Do When Someone Has a Domain Name I Want?
Has someone done this?
Make an Offer to Buy the Name

What Do I Do When Someone Has a Domain Name I Want?

After you've found the owner of the domain name (or at least an email address), the next step is making contact. How you go about this is up to you, but here are a few things to keep in mind:

Even if there's no actual web site at the address, the registrant might be using it for other purposes, like for email addresses. In your initial contact, you might want to avoid telling them they should sell it to you because they're not using it.
If you don't feel comfortable making an offer right off the bat, just ask them if they'd consider selling it. Let them know it's a name you'd like to have, but keep your interest fairly casual.
Expect ridiculous prices. People often overestimate the value of domain names they hold. Make a counter offer. Haggle if you want to. But just be ready for them not to come down on the price much. Also, keep in mind that if it's a pretty common name, they may be justified in expecting a higher price and they've likely had offers already

I am not into buying anything now,but just a question out of curiosity.
I have a domain in my mind though
The domain is another instance of the owner "squatting" on the domain name.
I am aware that the domain ownership is about to expire in coming months.

Well I have such domains and its just part of the portfolio in a way. If i receive a decent offer I can sell it off. Most of domains are in auto renew status. So it doesnt mean it will be available when it expires.

Back