Budget 51-70k Hosting Server

fshaharyar

Disciple
Hi Everyone,

I am looking to build a hosting server for my customers.
I need this for hosting websites. (multiple website, if I have scale later).

I do not want to go into godaddy route, as it makes my life difficult in case the website goes down I have to rely on their support.

so what should I need to get it up and running.

Please you can share anything that could help me out.

Faisal

It is not easy to host a server in India with a domestic connection. Enterprise-grade connection is needed to prevent issues like DDoS ( if it happens ). Currently, I am not sure it is even legal in India to host a server on a domestic connection.

It is not easy to host a server in India with a domestic connection. Enterprise-grade connection is needed to prevent issues like DDoS ( if it happens ). Currently, I am not sure it is even legal in India to host a server on a domestic connection.
I will be using Leased Line to have my host server run the programs and provide web services[DOUBLEPOST=1518976931][/DOUBLEPOST]
Useless idea. I think you meant building server and run it at your place. ????
I will be running it from office

No matter where you run it from or which ISP you plan it to host it, I don't think ISPs in India have plans that deal with technical difficulties that may occur on server.

Your idea is great, can be implemented as well. I am not sure how much possible in Indian scenario with plans that do not support server hosting.

Better option is to get hosting from from european company if you don't like go daddy or indian companies. europe is high on safety for customers. or get a uk hosting provider. You'll be paying a lot but you can't beat the bandwidth and services they provide.

Why I think this is a useless idea:

Since you're running from office, what will you do if some municipal provider breaks the isp cable to your building?
Do you have 2-3 backup isp providers?
Do you have backup power generators?
Do you have facility to take regular backups of hosted websites on another machine not connected to the internet?
Do you have enough people to take care of the server in case its hacked? do you have backup server for the server you will buy in case of hardware failure?
Do you know how to setup ftp /http/ etc access and sandbox each website from another?
Do you have idea of usage rights and restrictions? One mistake and some client or his employee could get his hands on entire server system.
Do you have a dedicated customer care number and customer support team in case clients have questions?
Do you have facility for online payments etc?
Do you have TIN, GST etc?

If any one answer is no, then you're setting up yourself to get cursed by your customers.[DOUBLEPOST=1519018202][/DOUBLEPOST]
I do not want to go into godaddy route, as it makes my life difficult in case the website goes down I have to rely on their support.

If you're not satisfied with go daddy support, you think you can provide better support than a big already established rock solid company doing this for years with more money and resources than you?

Rather than hosting it yourself, I would suggest to lease the services from a hosted provider.

But, if you still want to run the server yourself, I would suggest to buy it and move to a DC ie colocate. The cost runs about 10K per month, inclusive of most facilities. We run a server in our office which we plan to colocate to a data center as well.

Better option is to get hosting from from european company if you don't like go daddy or indian companies. europe is high on safety for customers. or get a uk hosting provider. You'll be paying a lot but you can't beat the bandwidth and services they provide.

Why I think this is a useless idea:

Since you're running from office, what will you do if some municipal provider breaks the isp cable to your building?
Do you have 2-3 backup isp providers?
Do you have backup power generators?
Do you have facility to take regular backups of hosted websites on another machine not connected to the internet?
Do you have enough people to take care of the server in case its hacked? do you have backup server for the server you will buy in case of hardware failure?
Do you know how to setup ftp /http/ etc access and sandbox each website from another?
Do you have idea of usage rights and restrictions? One mistake and some client or his employee could get his hands on entire server system.
Do you have a dedicated customer care number and customer support team in case clients have questions?
Do you have facility for online payments etc?
Do you have TIN, GST etc?

If any one answer is no, then you're setting up yourself to get cursed by your customers.[DOUBLEPOST=1519018202][/DOUBLEPOST]

If you're not satisfied with go daddy support, you think you can provide better support than a big already established rock solid company doing this for years with more money and resources than you?

Playing devil's advocate, I see.

Ironically, to your last comment, yes, it is quite possible. We did the same for mailing.

Playing devil's advocate, I see.

Ironically, to your last comment, yes, it is quite possible. We did the same for mailing.

:D

better to think long and hard first than to spend 75k on components that will become useless because they didn't think about it too much.

i think all companies have their own mailing servers, right? how much bandwidth do these mailing servers use? and they send mail on regular intervals or asap?

:D

better to think long and hard first than to spend 75k on components that will become useless because they didn't think about it too much.

i think all companies have their own mailing servers, right? how much bandwidth do these mailing servers use? and they send mail on regular intervals or asap?

What I am saying is that we too are moving away from Godaddy next year to some other provider. Not happy with the Linux hosting. Additionally, we moved away from the mailing from another hosting provider also for the same reasons.

To put it short, do not assume that service providers are the best. There are some good ones, some bad. Its how you want to deploy the application, and there are some additional factors to consider.

Reseller is the way to go instead of domestic hosting. It will cost you the same if you take whois protection from the reputable hosting company.

I understand what OP is trying to do. I saw people failing to maintain a mini Tier 3 standard - 300 Sqft Data Cener due to high costs and poor Leased lines connectivity. So its a useless idea for serious business and or even for time pass.

Its quite possible to host inhouse but if your customers are international its best to host it on the cloud or other service providers like GoDaddy, Rackspace etc as the ping time will be killing it. even if its a leased line.

Also for hardware it depends on how intensive your websites are, how many there are, what you plan on running on the server (Plesk,cPanel etc.Windows /Linux etc.)

Also look at Zaco Computers Pvt. Ltd.
http://www.serverparts.co.in/[DOUBLEPOST=1519235251][/DOUBLEPOST]Refurbished computers are very costly here... the markup margins & duty / taxes are too much.

Below is the most recent server that was purchased by me for my client in Canada check out the specs 2 servers for Rs. 129500/-

upload_2018-2-21_23-15-33.png

Now see the pricing from serverbasket.com
upload_2018-2-21_23-16-47.png

Last edited:
With close to 10 yrs experience, I can authoritatively say that this is a very bad idea. Find a provider - Get a Dedicated server or VPS. Prefer the latter to begin with.

And someone tell Vivek that fcuken godaddy is the shittiest provider for servers/hosting . SMH. His choice of server providers is as bad as his choice of political candidates.

why dint you consider public cloud? We can host servers on cloud platform without any initial investment also you get a free tier in AWS for a year.

you can do a trail in AWS and see if it suits your need. There are few things we need to be careful when moving to cloud, but if used effectively it saves a lot of money as well.

https://aws.amazon.com/free/

Back