Hot Debate : Unicorn or Pulsar?

Guys, for a change, lets get to our second most favourite topic after computers..gals?? naah..:hap5: bikes... So which is a better bike according to you,

The Honda Unicorn or the Pulsar 150 DTSI ?? And why..

Edit: Mods, can u pls enter a poll wid the following choices:

Honda Unicorn

Bajaj Pulsar 150 DTSI

For Streetfighter style, acceleration, price to performance- bajaj Pulsar150!! :)

For engine refinement, smoothness, reliability, durability, longetivity,..., Comfort, handling, fuel efficiency,...- Honda Unicorn!!:eek:hyeah:

Overall winner IMHO- Unicorn!!:hap2:

Guys!! I kept it short and sweet this time!! Yippee!!:rofl: :rofl:
This surely is my shortest reply to a why!! (rhymes):rofl: :cool2:

Am in the same dilemma myself..and I have to decide between the Pulsar (150), Unicorn and Achiever Sportz(I know it sux in the looks department).

Am a big guy and was thinking if a 125 CC Bike like discover dts-i wud be enuff to pull me thru :), so i cud add the discover DTS-i to the poll as well.

Main crtieria is Mileage>Maintainence Costs>looks.

Looking forward to ur views :).

DC.

If Mileage is such a big priority, then go for the Discover. And it may be smallm but it will pull you with NO probs :p

But by BIG if you mean, tall, then it may be slightly cramped. How tall are you??

In that case, you are better off going for a Unicorn/Pulsar.

Ride both these bikes and see which one you prefer. Pulsar has raw acceleration like an untamed hooligan :p. But Unicorn is like a Gentleman in a Savile Row suit. Dignified and still fast.

I personally prefer the savagery of the Pulsar. But it is your decision in the end. And the Unicorn is slightly more refined. But on the Pulsar, you feel like a racer :p

I'm 6 feet+ and 200+ Pounds :D.

Pulsar is way too common..and the 180 CC thing gives hardly 35 Kmpl :(

(But the red 180CC with the black finish at the bottom of the bike has got me drooooling).

I can rule out the 180 Pulsar for me as it aint worth it IMHO.

So its between the Pulsar 150 , Unicorn and Achiever.

Any views on the Discover guys??

DC.

Unicorn gets my vote.....it has awesome handling...good mileage n honda reliability...

In terms of performance....the Pulsar is good only for short bursts....0-60 the P150 just abt manages to keep its nose ahead of the Unicorn but from then on the Unicorn leads all the way...

Besides the Unicorn is way more comfortable to sit in than the P150....

Darthcoder said:
I'm 6 feet+ and 200+ Pounds :D.
Pulsar is way too common..and the 180 CC thing gives hardly 35 Kmpl :(

(But the red 180CC with the black finish at the bottom of the bike has got me drooooling).

I can rule out the 180 Pulsar for me as it aint worth it IMHO.
So its between the Pulsar 150 , Unicorn and Achiever.
Any views on the Discover guys??

DC.

I guess, unicorn shud be your best bet...it has a longer wheelbase and is tall enough for better built guys, also the engine refinement is unmatched by pulsar,
and if you are a sort who likes to go on longish trips then dont even think about the Pulsar..i've got one at home (my cousin's... :bleh: ) and after a long trip he gets the mother of all backaches...at the same time i'm better of on the unicorn..it simply has a better riding position for long trips..
I'm also 5.11 and though i'm a very thin guy, the unicorn is absolutely manouverable..and it gives you a steady mileage of 55-60 kmpl...
You wont get the alloy wheels with unicorn, but for everything else, its it...;)
Performance is equally good if you need that adrenaline dose and it is also a better city bike... and finally you have the honda reliability...so it completes the picture...
Although i'll suggest you test drive both the pulsar and unic before a purchase decision...
So we've got...

Pulsar:
Pros: Go for pulsar if you need that sporty look, raw power,thicker rubber
Cons: lacks refinement..not the best mileage anymore,seating position

Unicorn :
Pros: Refinement, Gentleman looks, gr8 mileage, ample performance, big enough for big boyz, honda reliability
Cons: Looks not for the young at heart, a bit spongy breaks..

Achiever:
Pros: It has the same engine as the unicorn..so characteristics are similar
Cons: Looks like an ambition...

My recommendation :
Honda Unicorn...:clap:

the Pulsar is good only for short bursts....0-60 the P150 just abt manages to keep its nose ahead of the Unicorn but from then on the Unicorn leads all the way...

Well, in the city, 0-60 is what matters. Very rarely do you accelrate beyond that. And even to a 100, the difference is minute and can be neutrailsed by shifting up at the right time. Most people do not shift up at the right time and screw up their acceleration.

And the handling of the Pulsar is better than the Unicorn while the Unicorn Rides a little bit better. So, it is even-stevens there.

The Gearbox --- The Unicorn. No doubt abt that.

Looks -- Pulsar. The Unicorn looks like it is made for oldies. And the alloys look gorgeous. And a Pulsar on the move looks stunning. Same cant be said of the Unicorn.

And everyone is talking abt Honda Reliability.... But the fact remains that most people dont have any major problems with the Pulsar either. A Honda has the name and fame. But Bajaj is not too shabby either when it comes to reliability.

My cuz got Honda Unicorn last year Dec.....and I have to say that it was a wise decision. I mean RX-100 was cool for my wild time on one wheel, 9 years back..... Unicorn's refined power and somewhat not in your dace styling works out better then Pulsar. My vote goes to Honda Unicorn.

And everyone is talking abt Honda Reliability.... But the fact remains that most people dont have any major problems with the Pulsar either. A Honda has the name and fame. But Bajaj is not too shabby either when it comes to reliability.

hero honda or honda...products from both companies have superb reliability....the quality of the components used is top notch...and the service centres provide excellent service.
Very rarely will you find some1 complaining abt a hero honda or a honda product....they built the damm things to last!!

Well i cant say the same abt Bajaj...though they have improved in every aspect over the years there are a few short comings... the quality of the switchgear is no where as good as HH or Honda...the gearbox isnt that precise either there will be plenty of false neutrals...and the pulsars tend to fall apart n with things becoming loose n rattling along ( few of my friends have pulsars and they will vouch for this)
Also the Pulsars tend to have lotsa vibrations which will make you numb!!!

The only point where the P150 can beat the Unicorn is.....the rush that the Pulsar provides during acceleration....the Unicorn is much more sedate..

SunnyBoi said:
it does? never knew that....

I agree with caayotee,

Actually Honda and HEro Honda have a Technical JV and most of their expertise is shared. Unicorn had a lot of stuff from the HH,the most common site is the mirrors on the Honda Unicorn.they are plain rip off from the passion/cbz etc.

And look at the Achiever engine closely, its cut to cut copy if the Unicorn Engine,only the exhaust system's heat gaurd is of a different design, else its all the same.

@Wraith ---- Switchgear on Bajaj not as good as HH or Honda???? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: You must be joking.

Read any comparo test in Autocar India, OverDrive, etc.... They keep wishing that the other bikes had as good switchgear as Bajaj Pulsar.

And I agree with you abt the gearbox but it doesnt really fall off or anything.

And since they launched the Discover and then used the ExhausTEC technology in the Pulsars, the gearbox issue has more or less been sorted out. The old Pulsars(the original non-fairedones and the first version of DTSiwith out the Alloys) did have quite clunky gearboxes. But not anymore.

You are basically judging the gearbox and reliability of Bajaj based on old models. Look at the newer ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are basically judging the gearbox and reliability of Bajaj based on old models. Look at the newer ones.

Lets not get into a fight!!! :D :D

Autocar ppl are fools....and Overdrive ppl are Bajaj fanatics esp when it involves the Pulsars!! Anyways these magazines can only act as guides...
In reality....though Bajaj products have improved they still arent on par with HH or Honda in terms of quality.

And I agree with you abt the gearbox but it doesnt really fall off or anything

Well that 'falling off' is a lil bit exaggeration....but Pulsars tend to vibrate n rattle a lot!!

Also the first pulars were seriously fast there is no denying that...but they were scary as hell 'coz of the pathetic handling....with the newer models things have improved in the handling dept but out n out performance has actually decreased!!

Me In love with alloy wheels..:(

Its a shame that Unicorn doesnt have alloy wheels (cant I put pulsars alloy wheels in unicorn :D), jokes apart How do the Pulsar (150) and Unicorn differ in terms of Mileage??Another factor in favour of Unicorn is that its around 6k cheaper than Pulsar..though I cud spend the extra duff if needed.

I have a gut feeling I'll go for the pulsar, just for the alloy wheels :D.

DC.

Back