CPU/Mobo Hot plugging hdmi cable to gpu - consequences ?

mithun

Adept
The config at a glance :

E6750 - ASUS G41 - 4GB XMS2 - 2 HDDs - GTX260 C216
Display : AOC 22" + SONY 32NX500

I use the TV for games and movies, plugging it with a dvi-hdmi converter attached to the dvi port of my Graphics card. Now, i often tend to plug/unplug the HDMI cable to the card while both the TV and PC is running as i have to unplug the hdmi cable every time i have to watch TV. If the HDMI cable is plugged in i get a buzzing sound while watching TV through STB.
Today when i plugged in the TV to the PC via HDMI(both were running). the TV displayed "unsupported input..check device output" message. Then, the display would just come on and off, then came the dreaded anomalies (blue dots all over the screen). This made me reboot the PC. Post the reboot there was no display to either the monitor or the TV, single beeps at very long intervals could be heard from the board.
Swapped the 260 with my backup card (7600gt) and the whole screen was gibberish. Orange bars and green dots all over. Onboard video is working fine though.

Now, i'm guessing that the PCI-E slot on the motherboard has failed. I'm also guessing that it may be due to the hot plugging and unplugging of the HDMI cable. The plugging/unplugging did need some effort as well which may have physically damaged the slot (nothing visible though) or may have caused electrical disturbances beyond tolerance of the el-cheapo stop-gap motherboard.

So my query to my fellow TEians is whether Hot plugging/unplugging of HDMI cable is safe or not?

Thanks

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

please help me out guys.

The beeping indiates the board failed POST => RAM is bad or the GFX card is BAD/not set-in properly.

Do a memtest on your RAM(4 passes should be more than enough).

Test both your cards on someone else's board. Perform any GPU becnhmark for 15 mins at least.

If both the above tests are good then your board's PCIex slot was damaged due to the strain the cables exert on the board so get it replaced if under warranty.

Hot-plugging never caused any pangas for me. Buzzing sound should not be there. Check other HDMI inputs on your LCD. Also check if you're sending any audio s/g via your HDMI & MUTE it. If this doesnt help check the grounding of your power supply.

Hot-plugging does sometimes loose the s/g & becomes really confusing so I keep things plugged in permanently. Use the software to set the displays manually(ATI's or nVidia's).

Tried the 76GT in my other system and the card is fine. Cannot check the 260 atm. However, i also found out that either the dvi to hdmi converter or the hdmi cable has also gone bad. Tried plugging in using my other PC, and got the same "unsupported signal check device output" message on the TV alongwith intermittent garbled images. Already ordered HDMI cable from mediahome, will put up a wtb thread for a dvi to hdmi converter if the 260 is tested ok.

Back