Hotspot on USB Adapter.

samrulez

Disciple
Hey guys,

I have a hathway connection at my place. I usually hook it up to the laptop via Ethernet and use "Connectify" or i setup a AD-HOC connection to share the internet via WiFi for my phone. My desktop doesn't have a WiFi card.

I'm planning to buy this

http://www.flipkart.com/wl-167g-v3-wireless/p/itmd54g4zgrxkyfn?pid=USBD54G3U3Q82K8V&_l=qKHjNNe0ssPpzVhUsaMkpQ--&_r=BQlDDo3CAHwntgZZLYt_qg--&ref=f9f0365e-d4b8-4a58-b041-2b939f50ad21

Can i hook up my net to my desktop via Ethernet and use this adapter as a WiFi hotspot for my laptop and cellphone?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure if it will work. Hotspot mode is not supported by all wireless cards. You should be looking at buying a wireless router instead. Much more reliable, although the initial setup would be relatively higher. A basic yet decent router should set you back by about 1.2k to 1.5k. Connect the ethernet to your router, and connect your desktop to the router's LAN port with an RJ45 cable. Use the wireless to provide internet to the laptop and mobile.

I also have the same querry, I used belkin basic n150 router of my friend for few days and it worked fine, but I am looking fwd to buy a linksys product, so need sometime to save, in between, is there any possibility to use a USB dangle to provide internet to my mobile from my pc?

Hey guys,

I have a hathway connection at my place. I usually hook it up to the laptop via Ethernet and use "Connectify" or i setup a AD-HOC connection to share the internet via WiFi for my phone. My desktop doesn't have a WiFi card.

I'm planning to buy this

http://www.flipkart....41-2b939f50ad21

Can i hook up my net to my desktop via Ethernet and use this adapter as a WiFi hotspot for my laptop and cellphone?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, it can be done, however, just check if the USB dongle is Windows & supported, so you can use the Virtual Wifi Router which, in my opinion, is way better than connectify. The last time I used connectify, it ensured that my PPPoE connections were kaput and had to remove and re enter the connections.

However, it should be used as a n ad hoc measure only, ideally buy a router.

I also have the same querry, I used belkin basic n150 router of my friend for few days and it worked fine, but I am looking fwd to buy a linksys product, so need sometime to save, in between, is there any possibility to use a USB dangle to provide internet to my mobile from my pc?

Yup. But rather purchase the cheapest router IMO, as the USB dongles may not have enough range.

actually that is the reason I want to go for a linksys product, belkin's range is not that good, and I heard asus N150 has lower coverage than belkin.. I will wait a month and go for linksys directly then..

Between @[font="arial, sans-serif"]samrulez, you can get a basic laptop for less than 1200 in your local shop as well as online[/font]

^it depends on the chipset and external antenna , if an adapter has Win7 certified logo then it supports Hotspot via netsh/virtual router or connectify .

Cards with ralink and atheros chipsets are recommended however there are few which are not completely supported in Linux .a simple way to check chipset is to type "deviwiki adapter model no " on google

actually that is the reason I want to go for a linksys product, belkin's range is not that good, and I heard asus N150 has lower coverage than belkin.. I will wait a month and go for linksys directly then..

Between @[font=arial, sans-serif]samrulez, you can get a basic laptop for less than 1200 in your local shop as well as online[/font]

I meant router.. srry

Not sure if it will work. Hotspot mode is not supported by all wireless cards. You should be looking at buying a wireless router instead. Much more reliable, although the initial setup would be relatively higher. A basic yet decent router should set you back by about 1.2k to 1.5k. Connect the ethernet to your router, and connect your desktop to the router's LAN port with an RJ45 cable. Use the wireless to provide internet to the laptop and mobile.

I dont use wired Broadband connetion. Instead i use a RELIANCE NETCONNECT. Please suggest me a device which would enable me to create a wifi hotspot from my desktop. note that my desktop does not has any wifi capability.
Yes, it can be done, however, just check if the USB dongle is Windows & supported, so you can use the Virtual Wifi Router which, in my opinion, is way better than connectify. The last time I used connectify, it ensured that my PPPoE connections were kaput and had to remove and re enter the connections.

However, it should be used as a n ad hoc measure only, ideally buy a router.

Yup. But rather purchase the cheapest router IMO, as the USB dongles may not have enough range.

i am using internet connection on my desktop through "TATA PHOTON NETCONNECTOR" which is an USB device(dongle) which i plug in my desktop and use internet through it. my desktop DOES NOT have any wifi capabilities. now i wish to share my net connection from my desktop with my phones(which are wifi enabled). Thus suggest me devices through which i can create an wifi hotspot in my desktop to share internet with my phone.​

Back