How AAP won Delhi

blr_p

Skilled
Most discussions on the Delhi result are about how BJP lost Delhi.

But BJP is as irrelevant in Delhi as Congress.

The real question is why did AAP win and not how BJP lost

Experts attribute the landslide victory of AAP to its spending on health and education, water and power.

When the Karnataka elections were coming up cpl years back I was told by some AAP supporters that AAP introduced competition in the power sector.

This is patently false. The credit for that goes to the govt that came after Sushma lost power in '98 ie Congress

The capital’s power distribution structure changed after the state government implemented significant reforms to the power sector in 1999. This separated the loss-making Delhi Vidyut Board, the state electricity board, into two power generation companies, one transmission company, and three distribution companies.

Then the state government held a stake sale to sell the majority shareholding in the distribution companies to private investors and retained a 49% stake in each company.

As it stands today, Delhi has three private distribution companies, two controlled by Reliance Infrastructure and one by Tata Power Company. The former acquired a lion’s share for distribution in the eastern, western and southern parts of the national capital while Tata Power Company gained distribution control in Delhi’s north and northwest. The three companies cater to all of Delhi except the area under the New Delhi Municipal Council, home to a large number of politicians and top-level bureaucrats, where power supply is still entirely controlled by the government.

AAP's promise in that term was halving people's electricty bills. Given their subsequent victory it would be fair to assume they delivered on that promise.

I have no problem with AAP winning and would have probably voted for them myself if I cared about politics but my main issue is that their "free" policy is terrible.
No water bill if you consume only 200 units is misused a lot.
I have friends and relatives in west Delhi who have DDA flats which starts at 1.5crore and even those people are not paying their water bill.
Guy who comes to check their meter takes like Rs100-200 from each flat and reports their water consumption below 200 units, this way they don't don't pay anything.

The rate jumps 5 times if you cross 20 Kilo litres

water slab delhi.png

So there is under recovery that will come back and bite them with another 20% price hike down the road

The point is i see the opposition (BJP) saying 'freebie bad' but they are also offering freebies and their freebies make up a larger slice of the total budget

AAP's freebie share comprises 4% of total budget, union govt exceeds 10%

Last edited:
I'm more curious about why people voted Modi in for a second term.

Many many reasons. But the main one is, we Indians had a very very clear face for PM position and there were 2 people. Rahul G and Modi. Now, it was almost the same as in US elections, Trump didn't won coz people like him more but people hated Hilary alot more. Over here One just cannot imagine Rahul Gandhi as a PM face. Regardless if I like Congress or not, Rahul was just not the face really. Moreover, Modi is loved, sure if we keep the "bhakts" thing aside.

What is baffling here for me is, when this all balakot thing took place, and after that elections went on, Congress was so damn confident of their victory, and INC didn't wanted support of AAP to win (AAP wanting to support INC? Oh the irony! but topic for another day). But when Modi easily won, Rahul now make statements who benefited in that whole charade. I mean come on, if you knew this stunt will benefit BJP hugely, then say it, and don't fight elections or get EC in b/w and make the situation shit as hell for elections to even happen. Why cry later. How dumb your PR, or people who do calculations as to how the votes will turn out that you be so confident that you didn't knew you will lost like 80% of seats/votes of the whole damn country. Though I guess BJP did the same shitty calculations in Delhi and lost hugely to AAP, so INC is not all that to blame.

Rahul is just no where near a PM face. There are many in INC which are loved, Rahul is not one of them. If Modi wasn't around, I am sure Shah, Yogi or even Smriti Irani would beat Rahul in votes.

Two main reason

(1) In his terms, he makes profit approx eleven lakh core by selling Petrol / Diesel at an inflated price since 2014 as long the crude oil price is very low all over the world and directly injected to that money to the development of all rural village projects i,e Roads, Water Lines, Electricity, Bathroom, Save Daughter, Cooking Gas etc, despite the end results or outcome of each project. People of these rural/remote villages first time experienced some benefits from the Government directly handed to them without any middle man or bribe.

Now what about the Rest Of India.....Well To Do People / Millenials etc

(2) For the rest of India, he introduced a beautiful package named 'Balakot Package' a.k.a 'Ghar me ghus kar marenge' - Aaahh ...Papu Se Ye Na ho Payega - and man this more powerful than Stephen Hawkins Black Hole..., the rest of India go for him :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyecat:....I believe he is very thankful to our westside neighbor, Woh hain to hum hain.

Last edited:

Leaving aside any technical discussion, its simply because there is no good opposition to challenge BJP and Modi at the national level.
Till this happens, they will continue winning.

I have no problem with AAP winning and would have probably voted for them myself if I cared about politics but my main issue is that their "free" policy is terrible.
No water bill if you consume only 200 units is misused a lot.
I have friends and relatives in west Delhi who have DDA flats which starts at 1.5crore and even those people are not paying their water bill.
Guy who comes to check their meter takes like Rs100-200 from each flat and reports their water consumption below 200 units, this way they don't don't pay anything.

And majority of these people are two faced hypocrites. They will crib about lack of honesty, nationalism and what not among their circle.

There has to be an easy way to report malpractice. And the punishment should start with the officials first.

Back