How ACT Fibernet is building broadband 'highways' [Forbes India]

swatkats

Skilled
Getting fibre to millions of middle-class homes in India’s chaotic cities is a tough ask. One has to contend with, among other things, stray cattle on the roads, dilapidated or non-existent footpaths, monsoon winds that can bring down tree branches onto overhead cables and competitors and malcontents who aren’t above pulling down your cables.

Atria Convergence Technologies, which provides fibre-to-the-home (FTTH) broadband services as ACT Fibernet, has braved all of this to become India’s fourth largest broadband ISP (internet service provider). Set up eight years ago, it is within striking distance of the No 3 spot. But its top executives have their sights set on more ambitious targets—they want ACT to be an indispensable platform, bringing everything from entertainment to home surveillance, to millions of households across India.

India is set to hold its biggest auction of wireless spectrum in September this year but the reality is that data in the country isn’t affordable for most people and any meaningful access to the internet, beyond checking WhatsApp and other not-so-data-heavy apps, requires some kind of wired connection. That is the premise ACT acted on years ago. And that is now paying off.

The people behind it
“Look at the biggest markets in any of the world’s most developed markets, and wired networks dominate economic activity,” Bala Malladi, chief executive of ACT Fibernet, tells Forbes India about why they had chosen a wired network, with FTTH technology.

According to Malladi, as everything goes digital and moves to the cloud, neither old technology such as the copper wires of yesteryear’s phones nor wireless broadband will suffice. And as consumers move inexorably from voice to data, he says confidently, “the real highway to the home is going to be built by us.”

That confidence is not misplaced. In 2009, when Atria acquired Hyderabad-based Beam Telecom, its growth was helped by the former’s 30,000 customers in the city. Today, ACT Fibernet has a 70 percent market share there with more than 550,000 connections as well a third of the market in Bengaluru, says Malladi. Their network is spread across 11 cities, including Coimbatore, where ACT launched about a year ago, Tirupati, Visakhapatnam, Vijayawada, Guntur, Eluru and Nellore. In August, ACT also entered the Delhi-NCR market, marking a significant milestone for a business that has largely operated in South India so far.

The company has over a million broadband customers and is the biggest such provider among non-telco ISPs, adding 100,000 subscribers every four months. Including the telcos, ACT stands fourth, after BSNL, Bharti and MTNL. As on May 31, the top five wired broadband service providers by number of connections were BSNL (9.89 million), Bharti Airtel (1.79 million), MTNL (1.10 million), ACT (0.99 million) and YOU Broadband (0.55 million), according to data from the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India.

When they started, “broadband was defined as 256 kbps and we thought 1 Mbps was a good story to start with,” founder and managing director CS Sunder Raju said in February last year at an event to mark the rebranding of the company from ACT Broadband to ACT Fibernet. “In 2010, we thought we’ll break that mould and be a 5 Mbps company. Every single year, we’ve had to redefine that. We moved from 5 to 10 to 15 Mbps and today we have a 50 Mbps offering,” Raju, 59, had said. Now, the company is offering 100 Mbps speeds.

A computer-scientist-turned entrepreneur, Raju’s conviction was clear. “Society, we believe, will go through a disruptive process of re-engineering itself in the way we lead lives, and at the centre of all of that is this digital environment that will make it happen.”

The 48-year-old Malladi, an FMCG veteran with some 18 years at Unilever, has been CEO of ACT from 2008, which is also when India Value Fund Advisors (IVFA) first invested in ACT. IVFA, which made subsequent investments as well, now controls ACT along with private equity firm TA Associates Advisory.

In July 2015, TA Associates invested $200 million for an undisclosed stake. The transaction valued ACT Fibernet at $550 million, Malladi says. Around the same time, IVFA’s existing fund, called Fund 3, also exited ACT while a new one, Fund 5, bought into the company, alongside a few other investors in a consortium called Argan.

“Our investment horizon is six to eight years... with such a long horizon, it is key for us that the companies we back have enough headroom to grow over that time frame and beyond,” says Dhiraj Poddar, co-head of India at TA Associates. “We look for industry leaders in sectors or segments where we see a very large unaddressed market, with a high unmet need and work well with professional teams. ACT, for us, met all of these criteria.” (Cont).... More at

http://forbesindia.com/article/hidden-gems-2016/act-fibernet-building-broadband-highways/44251/0

I hear nothing but horror stories from these small players. poor customer support and if down then is down for a long time. Airtel may be expensive but i have always had good sservice and downtime of under 1 day a year from last 14 years.

Hypocrisy??
Meanwhile, the company marches on with its efforts to incrementally keep raising the bar for everyone. For example, “we never outsource any customer-related function. We don’t have franchisee installations,” he says.
So sorry. Installation in Hyderabad is done by a third party called skyway.
And it’s all been on the basis of that basic vision they started with: “We don’t want subscribers to be worried about data. We want to liberate them from that mind block that ‘if I use this service more, I’ll be out of data’.”

Sorry again... Netflix is making me think.. If i use this service I'll be using up a lot of Gb's

Hah ! They haven't upgraded their FUP since 4-5 years and in fact downgraded the post FUP speed for some plans. Even complaining to Nodal officers take 15-20 days to get a simple acknowledgement of any issue these days. They have become an utter joke since there's no proper competitor. Really hope JIO Fiber would bring some real heat to their rear.

Regardless of what people think, ACT is still the leader of the pack in the country. Till a while back, ACT was single handed skewing the average speeds in India with few players anywhere close to the average. The situation with other ISP's has improved a bit with many of them averaging around 3 Mbps.

Performance by Internet Service Provider (ISP)
Shown below are the average download rates for Steam clients on the most popular Internet Service Providers for India, sorted by the number of bytes delivered to that network.

NetworkAverageDownload Rate

[TR1][TD]Airtel Broadband[/TD][TD2]3.4 Mbps[/TD2][/TR1]
[TR1][TD]Reliance Jio Infocomm Ltd [/TD][TD2]5.4 Mbps[/TD2][/TR1]
[TR1][TD]Beam Telecom[/TD][TD2]8.8 Mbps[/TD2][/TR1]
[TR1][TD]BSNL Broadband[/TD][TD2]1.1 Mbps[/TD2][/TR1]
[TR1][TD]Hathway[/TD][TD2]4.4 Mbps[/TD2][/TR1]
[TR1][TD]Atria Convergence Technologies Pvt. Ltd.[/TD][TD2]11.5 Mbps[/TD2][/TR1]
[TR1][TD]BSNL[/TD][TD2]1.3 Mbps[/TD2][/TR1]
[TR1][TD]Syscon Infoway[/TD][TD2]3.3 Mbps[/TD2][/TR1]
[TR1][TD]Alliance Broadband Services Pvt.[/TD][TD2]3.6 Mbps[/TD2][/TR1]
[TR1][TD]Bharti Broadband[/TD][TD2]5.3 Mbps[/TD2][/TR1]

Average Download Rate: 3.2 Mbps

Last edited:
These guys need to come to my city soon.
I changed to new 1200 2mbps BSNL plan. Barely get 1.5-1.7mbps. It seems like a hard limit they fixed.

Its certainly cheaper in Bangalore. I used to pay 1800 for 16Mbps/80GB Airtel, ACT gives 1200 30Mbps/80GB.

It is certainly cheaper than other ISPs in bangalore but just compare the plans in bangalore with plans in Hyderabad and you will know the difference..
Also which plan is this - 30Mbps/80GB?? Did you mean 30Mbps/50GB?

I have been using ACT since last 2.5 years at Bangalore.. It was all good initially.. But since last few months, due to increase in number of users and overall bandwidth remaining the same, the connection speed and quality is degrading slowly.. During weekends its even worse.. getting only 5Mbps on a 30Mbps connection.. It has become very tough to join a GTA V online session during the weekend..
I had raised a complaint, upon which they had sent someone to check at my location.. I performed a speedtest on server somewhere in central india infront of the service guy and was able to get only 8Mbps.. To which the reply was - "Sir please select a server in bangalore only".. I understood then that it will be a waste of time arguing and moved on, since no other ISP is better here at the moment..
So eagely waiting for Jio now and praying it to be better than ACT in terms of cost and quality..

No their plans suck. Yes they are better than chortel, but otherwise like a single lane highway. I had used Excitel which had 10/30(peering/yt) mbit/s UL for 1150 and only got 2 problems -
1)Some packet loss and less speed, which only happened when packet had gone to RCOM UK exchange.
2)Occasional downtimes - The connection light used to go out, indicating LCO problem.
I never got lesser speed in peering, DL, torrents otherwise indicating that they did the basic job of providing internet with a proper contention ratio. The LCO was ok, and was available in hours. Excitel is giving 15mbit/s now, but contention ratio might get lower.

Now, what will I do with 30mbps connection at same price if I need to think twice before even watching HD YT videos? I don't care much if I can dl a movie in 2min. TBH I'm happy with 8mbps everywhere I can get good YT speeds.

I'm not asking for free stuff, but given these ISPs get 1mbit for around 300 they can easily give proper UL plans with transparent contention ratio or more GBs with these higher speed plans, even if they have to lower speed, which they might as more people access during peak hours. And provide free peering on at least the costlier plans. Even if they have to price their plans a bit higher for expansion. We should have many ISPs, but I can only blame Govt corruption and apathy, demand lesser than TV, and legalities for that. But now we have to wait for Jio from Reliance. And it might give just better plans than ACT/Airtel.

All these broadband highways only connect the major cities with rich people. I wonder which ISP other than state owned BSNL will be the first to lay their fiber optic lines all throughout India and give good speeds and plans.

Unknown story..

ACT Fibernet braved local cable operators’ resistance, offered great prices

In Bengaluru, as in other cities, it is run mostly by local players, often with the blessings of local politicians. So corporate players who enter the business are often forced to pay them a commission of up to 10% on every connection. Even after that, it is not unusual to have wires being cut by the local players, and police often acting helpless.

ACT was not immune to this. Asked about it, the company said it does not want to discuss the matter. But it acknowledged that this was the reason why it is still not present in many parts of the city.

"This was one of the reasons we did not enter HSR Layout till a year ago. Our idea was to stay clean and transparent," says Bala Malladi, chief executive of ACT.

It's up to the residents to come forward and change the unruly scenes. Hyderabad doesn't have such scene, prolly we get better bang for the buck plans because of this..

Back