Android How are the new Nokia smartphones?

I am curious about how new Nokia smartphones are performing. Anyone using the latest phones from Nokia?

I was quite excited when Nokia announced their new smartphones last year. I have always admired Nokia for their superior build quality. It's a shame that earlier they decided to go with Microsoft Windows for their phones, when the smartphones market was just starting to grow. Had they decided to go with Android, maybe they would have been still in the top.

Anyways, I was excited about new Nokia phones with Android, but also disappointed to know that it was not actually Nokia, but some Finnish company which acquired to use the Nokia brand name for a few years, and manufactured the devices in association with a Chinese company (uff Chinese!).

The phones however attracted me because of the pure Android they were offering with regular updates, which is something I want in my phone.. pure Android, without any extra company stuff, and regular updates.

While the design of these phones was great, and the specifications looked good in theory, however, reviews suggested that the phones didn't have the quality hardware as per the price, and this is where they lagged behind.

However, with the 2018 versions, early reviews indicate that Nokia have upgraded the hardware for the phones, and made them better, with the design being good as ever. In case I want to buy a mobile in near future, Nokia phones seem like a good option to me.

So, anyone using the latest Nokia smartphones? Or, anyone used the previous versions even? Would like to hear the experience.

Personally, I dislike Chinese phones, and I don't trust them. And almost all brands today are Chinese. Even Motorola was bought by Lenovo, a Chinese company. Plus, I have seen some Chinese phones like Leeco, and others, and they have horrible interfaces.

Have seen Xiaomi, and it did seem fine to me.

So, well, please share experiences with the Nokia Android smartphones.

The phones however attracted me because of the pure Android they were offering with regular updates, which is something I want in my phone.. pure Android, without any extra company stuff, and regular updates.

I bought a Nokia 6 almost a year ago for the same reasons mainly but still haven't started using it regularly. Note that it was an amazon exclusive and comes with amazon apps which can't be uninstalled. Apart from that and some minor customisations on the camera app (or so I've read) it is stock android with timely updates, yes. Hardware seems good quality so if you're saying this years models are better then great!

Haven't been using it regularly? Why not? :D.

You didn't use it at all, or did you use it a bit? What was your experience?

Amazon apps that cannot be uninstalled? Now, that is definitely not good. But, that wouldn't be the case now I think. Will have to confirm if Nokia phones are available apart from Amazon too.

Yes, from the initial reviews of the phones, which I have read so far, they are praising the latest phones. Will see how the detailed reviews are, when the phones start selling.

I bought the phone but didn't even put in any SIM yet :-D Been lazy to move from my Lumia 650 so far. I like the full HD IPS screen on this but it's my first one so cant compare to others. I just did basic navigating around the thing - settings, opened/closed a few apps - thats all. yes. lame. i know.

Lol. Well, do share your experience if you get around to using it. How is your experience with the overall build and design?

And how are you still putting up with Lumia? :D

I bought the phone but didn't even put in any SIM yet :-D Been lazy to move from my Lumia 650 so far. I like the full HD IPS screen on this but it's my first one so cant compare to others. I just did basic navigating around the thing - settings, opened/closed a few apps - thats all. yes. lame. i know.
Lumia 650 !!

LOL, I have seen a Lumia phone, and it looks awful to me.

I have been on a Lumia 730, almost 3 years. It is a good phone with good hardware. The OS is advanced, but the problem is: APP-GAP. It is too huge, and after a while you start feeling the lag. Performance wise the phone is good. OS is the key.

My wife still uses lumia 730 and it still takes gr8 shots in fact pure colors than some flagships too if you know how to use manual camera more.
Now due to very ltd app support and being 4yrs the phone got slow as was never ever formatted. Looking for a descent upgrade.
My sister too using it and loving it.

The updates have been frequent thanks to the near stock. These phones have succeeded well in one thing. They are living advertisements and have created a buzz and anticipation.

Things can only get better from here

FWIW, I had decided on Nokia 7 after my Moto G started falling apart.
Only problem in that plan was Nokia kept 7 exclusively in China. :mad:
So went with Moto X4. :happy:

Which Moto G did you have? How long did it last?

How is Moto X4 doing?

Moto phones are also a good option. I think they too provide near stock Android? My mom has a Moto G 3, and it's working quite well. Only thing is, they promise regular updates, but I didn't see that on my mother's phone.

Lenovo bought Motorola, so that's one negative for me too. Lenovo have been infamous for incorporating malware stuff in their laptops in the past.

Still, Moto phones are a good option too, if you want a near stock Android with updates.

It seems like I might have to buy a new phone sooner than I thought. My Nexus 5 power button is acting up a lot, and today it went into boot loop. I saw a YouTube video that showed a fix by scratching the power button a few times, so that did the trick. On Monday, I will take it to LG service center to see what can be done.

But, it seems like I will have to buy a new phone.

I was reading the Nokia 6 2018 reviews, and they seem pretty much favorable. It's not the best, but enough to be one of the best in the given price range.

I want to go for phones with near stock Android, and I looked and saw Nokia 6 2018, Moto G6, and Xiaomi Mi A1, which fulfill the criteria. Moto G6 hasn't been launched yet, and it will be launched in May or July probably. So, might be a bit late.

Anyone using Xiaomi Mi A1? Can share the experience? I haven't checked out its reviews in detail, but they seem generally favorable from a glance.

I am leaning more towards Nokia 6.1 right now.

Thoughts?

If my Nexus 5 gets repaired fine, I will have time to think and wait for Moto G6.

It's a shame that a small thing as a power button being bad for Nexus 5, because otherwise, the phone works really excellent even now, without lags or anything. The battery goes down soon, but that's not much of an issue for me.

A power button should be an easy fix. Get the battery replaced while you're at it as well. It must be quite old by now and not adequate backup

Actually, I had power button issue a few days back, and mentioned in another thread. The button had gone inside. I took it to the LG service center, and they replaced the external power button at a mere cost of Rs 118. But, now I think the internal power button has developed issues of getting stuck or going inside I think. It's quite a common issue with Nexus 5, but thankfully, it is happening to me for first time after all these years.

I hope it will be an easy fix, as I don't have any backup phone, and it will be a while before I buy a new one.

Battery is still fine, and gives decent backup. My phone usage isnt that heavy, unless I play on Plato, LOL. So, battery isn't an issue right now.

Which Moto G did you have? How long did it last?

How is Moto X4 doing?

Moto phones are also a good option. I think they too provide near stock Android? My mom has a Moto G 3, and it's working quite well. Only thing is, they promise regular updates, but I didn't see that on my mother's phone.

Lenovo bought Motorola, so that's one negative for me too. Lenovo have been infamous for incorporating malware stuff in their laptops in the past.

Still, Moto phones are a good option too, if you want a near stock Android with updates.

Moto G which I had bought in 2014. It worked fine (or acceptable) till 2017. Then I dropped it at Alibaug and had to replace it with X4.
It's good IMO. Build is solid and camera's good. Community support is great, if I were to go down that route.

From what I've heard, Moto is running as Lenovo's subsidiary but is quite independent in their operations. Else Lenovo would've merged both a long time back.

Thanks for sharing.

Yes, Moto phones generally have good builds. But, they don't provide timely updates, and updates don't seem to come as promised. Also, I found the phones bulky too. If I use Moto G of my mother for quite sometime, my hand tends to pain with its weight. Compared to my Nexus 5, which is quite slim, it's really heavy.

Still, Moto phones are good, considering the specs and quality.

Moto G6 Plus will be priced at 25K, from what I have read so far. Don't know when it will be launched. A bit pricey for me.

My wife still uses lumia 730 and it still takes gr8 shots in fact pure colors than some flagships too if you know how to use manual camera more.
Now due to very ltd app support and being 4yrs the phone got slow as was never ever formatted. Looking for a descent upgrade.
My sister too using it and loving it.
Move to Win10, runs much better.

Back