Android How are the new Nokia smartphones?

I am sharing my experience, not parroting anything. My brother has the exact same phone. Both of us are experiencing the same problem of phone getting a bit hot while charging. I saw some of the comments on Amazon also mentioning it. If you find that vague, cannot help it.

I don't have any backup jobs running in background. I just think there is some problem with charging process, because it gets hot in the middle of the charging. I don't think any running process can make the phone that hot..it's a hardware issue definitely.

I do think they will take the feedback seriously.. otherwise they wouldn't have asked for it like that. Haven't seen any phone ask for a feedback this way.

I don't want to reset the phone for now. Seems to be a minor inconvenience which occurs randomly... will think about resetting when the problem gets worse. This doesn't seem to be happening for my brother though.. so yea, something might be wrong with my phone.

Phones heating during charging is perfectly normal. Either during initial charging levels or in mid of it.
When charging is at its end i.e. after 80% you will notice the phone run cool as if its not on charging. But this degree depends from phone to phone may be on 80, 85 or after 90.

Mine is a metal/glass combo phone and it literally heats so much during game or even charging I cannot hold my phone to my ears and battery temps show 46c. I too panicked initially but when read on various forums it was stated normal behavior and i forgot about it.

If many users facing same issue with this very model then its something to do with the software and there's no option till that rather than awaiting the patch release as we do it for games and other softwares.

But heating so much shouldn't be normal... so that you cannot even place it on your ears.

My phone is on charging just now, and I didn't turn on the battery monitor this time to see what happens. It's strange that without the battery monitor turned on, the phone heated up again during charging, and I saw that the temperature that time was 44 degrees. So, that's quite hot, and I could feel it hot. And yes, if I got a call during this time, I think it would be quite hot for me to put it to my ears. This shouldn't be normal.

There seems to be some connection with battery monitor app being on, and phone not heating up. I was suspecting this, because it happened twice and that's why I didn't put the monitoring on this time. It's strange why the phone won't heat up with the monitoring on.

Maybe I should write to Nokia about this through their official channel.

Hello! They better be good, the last one that I had was pretty bad to be frank! The OS and phone as a whole were tough to use and it broke within 3 years of light use. I am still wondering why smartphones are so fragile these days!? I doubt that I will ever use any of these new Nokia, but I wouldn’t mind trying the new version of the 3310! :p

It's not happening always now, or probably, I don't notice it when it's happening. I have stopped bothering with it. I will try to keep an eye on it.

Faced a weird issue today. I touched the fingerprint sensor, and the sound of phone unlocking was heard, but the screen didn't come on. I tried to reboot phone by pressing the power switch, but nothing happened. Screen won't turn on from the power switch too. I then connected the charger, and again the charging sound came on, but screen didn't turn on. I then called from my mother's phone and then the screen came on, and I unlocked it, and it continued to function normally.

But, I think it happened one time more when the screen didn't come on when I put finger on the fingerprint sensor. I think the fingerprint sensor is somehow misbehaving, and it won't turn the screen on for some reason. If this continues, I might have to take it to the care center :/

Well, I haven't read the reviews of Nokia 7.1 Plus in detail.. just saw one, and it was very positive. Apart from the heating issue on my phone, and the new weird issue today... overall it's a great phone actually, and I have little complains. The build quality is excellent.. it's a sturdy phone. Plus, I love the pure Android, and as you can see, the patches and OS updates are quick too.

I haven't read feedback from other Nokia 7 Plus users.. would like to know how their phones are running.

My brother is also using the same phone, and he isn't having the same problem as the weird issue I had today. He too received the Android 9 update a day before I got it.

The heating issue during charging is something I would consider minor.

How's the 6.1 plus? looking for the smallest form factor, specifically height, available. One major downside is the hybrid, non-dedicated micro sd slot. You'd think that by now they would have sorted that sh!t out...

Reviews of 6.1 Plus seem generally favorable.

I think the issue with the fingerprint sensor that happened might be related to sweaty fingers. Its a bit hot in here nowadays, and my fingers are a bit sweaty, and I noticed that with sweaty fingers, the fingerprint sensor doesn't work properly. With dry fingers, it works in an instant.

I recently saw in one of the specifications of some Xiaomi phone that the fingerprint sensor can deal with damp fingers, which seems like a great feature.

But I am still confused regarding the issue I faced.. wondering why the screen wouldn't open.

I still think Nokia phones are really good, in terms of overall build quality, software, updates and specifications.

Its going to be about an year soon since I bought the Nokia 7 Plus phone. Overall the phone has been working great, with few annoyances as mentioned in my previous posts. Since sometime though, I am now facing another problem of very low voice volume over phone calls. I really have to concentrate hard to listen to what the other person is saying. When I talk using the earphone cord, then the call volume is quite good. However, without it, it's really less. My brother also faces the same problem with his phone. He sent some links to me, and it seems like other Nokia users are also facing the same problem.

This really sucks, because otherwise, the phone is quite good.

Another major issue which many users of Nokia 7 Plus are facing, including my brother, who has stopped using the phone altogether because of this.. is the charging port gone bad. My brother kept telling me from sometime, that the charging port has been behaving weirdly... the phone won't charge properly. He has to either hold it, or adjust it many times before it starts to charge properly. Over time, the problem got worse, and now his phone doesn't charge at all. Many other users are facing the same problem. He called up the Nokia care center, and they say that you have to leave the phone there and the part will arrive in 10-15 days. Considering that this is a major issue with the phone, it's really surprising that they don't keep spare parts at the center.

Just yesterday, my brother went to the service center, and told that the condition there is quite bad. He was made to wait for 2 hours and more, just for checking the phone. They told that this could be a water damage issue, and that he cannot leave the phone with them unless they open and check it for water damage, because of which the warranty won't come into effect. He was first told to wait for half an hour. My brother came after one hour and still the phone had not been checked... he was told to wait for more time. He told that I cannot wait, and you can keep the phone, and tell me the issue over the phone.. but they wouldn't agree to that. He was made to wait for one more hour or so, after which the phone was opened and checked.. and then they told him that this was a water damage issue, and that warranty won't be into effect and he will have to pay. This was ridiculous, as the charging port was loose, and how can water damage make the port lose. My brother also told that the technician handling the phone wasn't good either. He wasn't able to open the phone properly, and was using blades against the screen and all sorts of things to open the phone.

My brother was so fed up with waiting, and arguments that he didn't leave the phone there for repairing. He took the phone and came back and will get it repaired from some local shop, after which he plans to sell the phone. His experience has been bad with Nokia this time.

Their service seems to be really bad which is surprising, considering how good Nokia has been in the past, and how the phones are selling quite good lately.

My brother told that other users who were there at the service center were also fed up with the service and the various issues with Nokia phones.

I wanted to call their service center in my city, to inquire about the charging port. Would you believe that the number I called which was posted on their official website itself, was wrong. It was number of care center of another phone company who was kind enough to give me the correct number of Nokia care center. I then called them up and got the same reply as my brother did in Gurgaon... that you will have to leave the phone with them and the part arrives in 10-15 days. Really bad service.

Well, I am going to keep using the phone, as till now I have to face annoyances, but they are bearable. But yea, the low call volume is very annoying. This wasn't expected from a Nokia phone.

I would still consider buying a Nokia phone next time, because I like the idea of pure Android, and the regular updates, and the hardware seems fairly good. But yes, they do need to improve their hardware to deal with such hardware issues, and they definitely need to improve the service a lot.

If anyone else has Nokia phones, would like to hear their experiences.

Sad to here this. I don't believe if this Nokia is the same old Nokia of Symbian era!
In that era as well Nokia simply used to straightway point to the users while cleanly stating and blaming the end user for most of the technical faults and 99% reason given was water damage.
I think this new Nokia is still using the old tricks to loot and annoy customers.
I was myself caught into this act with my beloved N86 flagship phone then. But glad I reversed their decisions on them which costed me multiple visits to their service centers and few emails to someone inside.

And as for handling phones, Indian technicians as shit no matter the brand. They may even use official tools but the way they handle stuff incurs more damages which is then billed to the user stating xyz reasons like "we found it only after opening the handset" etc.
Its way too better to get handsets repaired at a local shop in front of us they are much much reliable and 100% transparency as well.

If this cheap-thrill game continues Nokia might find again in the same shoe and even shifting to Android wont do any good to them.
I simply stand for their camera aka Zeiss rest they are overly prices like Sony.

Since sometime though, I am now facing another problem of very low voice volume over phone calls. I really have to concentrate hard to listen to what the other person is saying. When I talk using the earphone cord, then the call volume is quite good. However, without it, it's really less. My brother also faces the same problem with his phone. He sent some links to me, and it seems like other Nokia users are also facing the same problem.

This really sucks, because otherwise, the phone is quite good.
I wonder if the speaker grills just need a cleaning. Don't stick anything pointed in there though as it could damage the speaker.

Otherwise the speaker has to be replaced.

Last edited:
Another major issue which many users of Nokia 7 Plus are facing, including my brother, who has stopped using the phone altogether because of this.. is the charging port gone bad. My brother kept telling me from sometime, that the charging port has been behaving weirdly... the phone won't charge properly. He has to either hold it, or adjust it many times before it starts to charge properly. Over time, the problem got worse, and now his phone doesn't charge at all. Many other users are facing the same problem.
Wonder if the charging port has any lint in it that is preventing contact. Take a look and see.

Really.. it goes back that far? Wow! Surprised to hear that.

Apparently, they have something inside the phone, like a water damage indicator... if that turns red, it indicates water got into the phone. I think that is how Apple also plays tricks with consumers. There are stories on the internet of how Apple too fools users, and charges heavily for stuff which aren't bad, or which do not need repairs. It is really sad to hear of such service from such reputed companies.

Is it being done only in India, or this is being used outside of India too? Really though, you go to any service center in India, most of the condition is like that only... they don't care for your time, and service is below par... outright bad even. They don't deserve to be called professionals.

I had gone to get my Nexus 5 power button replaced at LG. The technician there was experienced, and he did a good job opening the phone. However, on my second visit, that technician was leaving the job, and a new one had replaced him, and he was struggling with the issue. He even broke some latches on the back cover while opening the phone, which really made me feel angry. Luckily, the old technician was there who gave him advice on how to change the power button and all, so that was atleast done. I wonder what would have happened if the old technician wasn't there.

Really, it's a sad state of affairs regarding services in any sector, in India.

Nokia have done somethings right with the Android phones, like pure Android and regular updates, and initially the hardware too seems good, but such issues that crop up later are really bad, and their service is bad too. I guess as long as the phone is working fine, and there isn't any major issue, it's okay, but when you get some issue and you have to go the service center to get things done, that's when trouble starts.

The hardware is being assembled in some Chinese company though, so I wonder if that's one reason behind these hardware issues.

I wonder if the speaker grills just need a cleaning. Don't stick anything pointed in there though as it could damage the speaker.

Yes, I was wondering about that. How do I clean it though?

Wonder if the charging port has any lint in it that is preventing contact. Take a look and see.

No, it's not the issue with lint. The charging port became loose I think. This issue is with the phone my brother has, and he is in a different city... so I never got to see the phone physically to look at the issue. And now he has already given it to his friend to get it repaired from a local shop.

He was telling that many customers were arriving to the center with the same issue, and that too with different Nokia models.

He wanted to give it to Nokia center since they would have put a genuine part, but he was so fed up and annoyed with their rude behavior that he just took the phone and came back home after being very frustrated with the bad service.

Really.. it goes back that far? Wow! Surprised to hear that.
A possible cause with a simple fix.

Apparently, they have something inside the phone, like a water damage indicator... if that turns red, it indicates water got into the phone. I think that is how Apple also plays tricks with consumers. There are stories on the internet of how Apple too fools users, and charges heavily for stuff which aren't bad, or which do not need repairs. It is really sad to hear of such service from such reputed companies. Is it being done only in India, or this is being used outside of India too? Really though, you go to any service center in India, most of the condition is like that only... they don't care for your time, and service is below par... outright bad even. They don't deserve to be called professionals.
A water ingress indicator is common on most phones. More egregious is sony refusing warranty for a water resistant phone that lost its water resistance as a result of an old gasket or improperly closed sim slot door (user error) that let the water in despite them having ads of people swimming with the phone. Sony has since stopped those ads.

Really, it's a sad state of affairs regarding services in any sector, in India.
Good labour is always hard to find. Funny that for such a hugely populated country.

Nokia have done somethings right with the Android phones, like pure Android and regular updates, and initially the hardware too seems good, but such issues that crop up later are really bad, and their service is bad too. I guess as long as the phone is working fine, and there isn't any major issue, it's okay, but when you get some issue and you have to go the service center to get things done, that's when trouble starts.

The hardware is being assembled in some Chinese company though, so I wonder if that's one reason behind these hardware issues.
Suppose they will get better with time. There is a lot of goodwill for the company due to the brand name. Faithful fans.

Back