All OS How are you repurposing your old tablet / phone?

raksrules

Elite
We know we don't always sell off our old mobile phones or tablets. In most cases, they lie in drawers gathering dust. This thread is to help each other repurpose or old mobile phones and tablets. If you already doing it, show off your usage.

I will start with my iPad 2 I bought back in 2012 and hasn't seen any usage since last 3/4 years and it's home button is not working well as well. I have put it permanently on top of a door in kitchen for my wife to look at time. Pic is attached

IMG_0685.JPG

We know we don't always sell off our old mobile phones or tablets. In most cases, they lie in drawers gathering dust. This thread is to help each other repurpose or old mobile phones and tablets. If you already doing it, show off your usage.

I will start with my iPad 2 I bought back in 2012 and hasn't seen any usage since last 3/4 years and it's home button is not working well as well. I have put it permanently on top of a door in kitchen for my wife to look at time. Pic is attached

View attachment 82242

That is one expensive clock :D

View attachment 82242
Nice...I also have couple of old iPads somewhere....but don’t have those old charging cables.

I have couple of very old phones. Cant really put them off to good use.
In between was using my Nokia N86 as desk clock as it got Amoled display and the inbuilt clock was a hit which used to cycle on the screen.
Then to preserve it for good it is lying properly in a box full of old phones.

As for android, I'm still using Xperia Z3 to test specific apps as to how they behave in a rooted environment before running them on my daily driver phone.
Also, use it for playing games, ordering stuff on amazon/ae/fk etc as when I'm not home, other people can simply use the phone to track deliveries etc.

I have been using an old iPad 3 as a clock and weather, RSS news display for a couple of years now. Also using my old Dell Venue 11 Pro as the home PC for printing, scanning, downloading, file sharing, thin client and everything else apart from gaming and editing.

I have been using an old iPad 3 as a clock and weather, RSS news display for a couple of years now. Also using my old Dell Venue 11 Pro as the home PC for printing, scanning, downloading, file sharing, thin client and everything else apart from gaming and editing.

Pic would be great of the iPad which is being used as clock. I understand people would say I am dumb or so for using the iPad as a clock (as I have mentioned in first post) but they miss the point that the device at this point has lost almost all its value (in my case the home button is not properly working) and it is serving the purpose perfectly for my wife. In kitchen, the digital clock is giving quick glance of time.
I cannot find a comparable actual digital clock in market with big numbers and such.

Yeah, I had purchased it at launch, so it is already 8.5 years old. The glass has a crack running across it from a drop few years ago but it doesn't hinder the legibility of the screen. The Home button still works fine for me, though battery is down to less than half an hour which doesn't matter as it is plugged in all the time. Prior to this, I was still using it for Magzter and it still is great for reading otherwise.

But I admit the Retina display is kind of an overkill for its current usage. It is good though that Apple at least makes devices to last.
14.jpg

Pic would be great of the iPad which is being used as clock. I understand people would say I am dumb or so for using the iPad as a clock (as I have mentioned in first post) but they miss the point that the device at this point has lost almost all its value (in my case the home button is not properly working) and it is serving the purpose perfectly for my wife. In kitchen, the digital clock is giving quick glance of time.
I cannot find a comparable actual digital clock in market with big numbers and such.

I am using an older android phone as a timer. I work in 2 hour sprints and I place a timer on the phone. The screen always stays on. Just in case I have to get away between the two hours, I pause the timer. Even if I feel the urge to browse something else except work (Like TE) I make it a point to stop the timer. The always on screen and the paused timer helps me avoid wasting very less time. This system has really boosted my productivity and the old device still gets at least 6hrs of daily SOT.

Back