How do I find out whether my ISP is killing torrents?

6pack

ex-Mod
Any way? I have a feeling that they are doing something to torrent connections. No torrent uploads or downloads. Tried with 2-3 different clients. I can browse net easily from chrome or firefox or from phone. I tried restarting torrent client, changing ports, switching on encryption. Nothing works. The clients download @ 1MBps for a few minutes and then fall down to 0. Seeing this from past week. This happens randomly. Some days the torrents will download like nothing is wrong. Some days it wont work for hours. Sometimes if I start the torrent client, the net will disconnect and wont log in for hours. This happens with every torrent client i have - utorrent, transmisison & deluge. Can't figure out what is happening here.

What OS do you have? Older Win7 based ones? IIRC there used to be some TCP socket limit where torrents open up many ports and the OS cannot handle it. Try configuring your torrent settings (maybe in advanced section) to reduce the number of TCP connections (global and per-torrent) to some lower level (like even one-tenth of the current setting) and see if that makes a difference?

It's also possible your router equipment (what device do you have?) can't handle large number of sockets similar to the OS issue.[DOUBLEPOST=1465813067][/DOUBLEPOST]Also try setting the queue for torrents so that only 4-5 of them download simultaneously while rest are kept in queue for later download after the earlier ones get completed...

OS - Debian on pogo plug & utorrent on Windows 10.
Router - Linksys 2000.
I've kept global max open connection at 200. Per torrent at 40. I've set up upnp in router for automatic port opening.
I download max 2 at a time, sometimes 3 if the first two are very slow. Can't do 4-5 since I have only 1Mbps connection.

Right now it seems to be working all of a sudden. At night this nonsense starts.

Edit: didn't try any VPN.

VPN should work in case of throttling. Limit the total number of connected peers to ~100 per active torrent. Max connected peers should not be over 500, if the isp blocks torrents the connected peers should be very less or 0.

Last night i checked what was happening. Seems like the ISP DNS server was not working properly. It was giving destination unreachable errors for any address i pinged or did a trace route on. So even if net was connected, nothing could be browsed even if google or other open dns ip address was used in router. Around 1:30 Am it (DNS) started working again and everything started working.

Last night i checked what was happening. Seems like the ISP DNS server was not working properly. It was giving destination unreachable errors for any address i pinged or did a trace route on. So even if net was connected, nothing could be browsed even if google or other open dns ip address was used in router. Around 1:30 Am it (DNS) started working again and everything started working.

Sorry, could not return your call as got kinda busy @office.

Use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 - even if your ISP swears that you must use his DNS. In many cases, they are easily hacked and pointing to malicious hosts.

Sorry, could not return your call as got kinda busy @office.

Use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 - even if your ISP swears that you must use his DNS. In many cases, they are easily hacked and pointing to malicious hosts.

no probs.
is there a way to put these dns servers in debian? I have reserved the address in dhcp config in router. I read online and saw that we can only put extra name servers if we use static address in linux.

I had torrent speed issues with Airtel BB and utorrent. Since then shifted to Vuze and I consistently get 12Mbps-15Mbps download speed on a 16Mbps connection. (Provided its has good seeds)

no probs.
is there a way to put these dns servers in debian? I have reserved the address in dhcp config in router. I read online and saw that we can only put extra name servers if we use static address in linux.

Instead, why don't you put the DNS settings in the router itself? Ideally, all devices should take the DNS entries from a single DNS server - which in most homes is a router and in offices is a separate DNS server or a firewall.

It does not work if i put the dns servers in the router. The first ping goes from the router to the ISP gateway and then onwards to their dns servers. See below route for google.com.
Code:
Hop	IP Address	Host Name	Response Time
===	==========	=========	=============
1	192.168.10.1	  LINKSYS83436	0 ms
2	103.31.144.8	 8-144-31-103.dnainfotel.com	3 ms
3	103.31.144.1	 1-144-31-103.dnainfotel.com	1 ms
4	103.245.69.18	18-69-245-103.dnainfotel.com	3 ms
5	209.85.249.69		4 ms
6	216.239.48.29		4 ms
7	216.58.199.142	bom07s01-in-f14.1e100.net	4 ms
	Trace complete

Back