Security Software How do you manage your passwords and personal info?

How do you manage your passwords and personal info

• Keep the same/similar password everywhere

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Save it in a document

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Remember all the passwords

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Use a password manager

Votes: 24 46.2%
  • Use an encryption software

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Use the browser password storage

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
^ I have not tried to investigate. But I understand that the later versions use .NET framework. I am somewhat averse to using this. Also I have an old mobile where I use the Java version of this which apparently is not supported by 2.0. Also whatever version I am currently using it does its job perfectly and I don't find a single reason why I should go for a newer version - may be security? Not sure.

Yes, security and improvements are good reasons to use the latest version of any software.

According to the comparison here:

http://keepass.info/compare.html

.NET is used by version 2.0, and not by version 1 or any of the later versions of version 1.0.

Anyways, if it suits you, and it's getting the job done, it's okay.

a combination of ways. i keep track of almost all the sites am a member of, accounts with softwares, both their user-credentials, the transactions i make online, notes, etc., etc., in my OneNote notebooks. additionally, my netbanking credentials and credit card numbers & password(s) are stored in my own memory (i even recall the no. of my last CC, the card that went defunct long back when i got a new one :p). most of the passwords i use across sites are the same 3-4 that i use generally. for many, the usernames are also the same few which i generally use. makes it easy to keep track of them. also, now i use 1-2 particular gmail accounts for most of the sites i register at, so in case i forget to document the credentials, and then later on i forget those credentials themselves, i just search the emails to know/guess what they are/could be.

Though it is very useful to remember all pw we use, sometimes I tend to forget pw for some sites I rarely use. There is also the necessity to change pw periodically. some of the sites categorically reject previous two or three pw to be used again. Some banks require transaction pw in addition to the login pw. So I use Lastpass for the past five years. Recently they even offered their premium version free trial for a month or so. But I didnt bought it after the trial period is over.
Using a set of fixed categorised pw is a very good idea. I shall try to follow this method in future.

I am using LastPass since I found it, I mean under Chrome extension. I don't know if I use the two step authentication or not, but I just use it. I can't remember all the passwords, and some passwords are so messy that I don't even remember why I created them! But at the same time I am quite confident that they can see my password very easily (I would more than be happy to be proven wrong), but the thing is I don't give a damn.
I tied Keepass but it wouldn't work with Chrome, so couldn't use it. LastPass in comparison is very easy, even a child can use it. One bad thing though, I have now forgotten passwords for most sites, because of that auto login feature of LastPass.

For my games, i also use authentication apps.
For the rest. i use a secure notepad. I'm a forgetful person - this is necessary.

No when I am someplace else , which rarely happens for secure logins .. I wait till I'm back home . As a rule I do not use my office PC for personal work so at home all my secure transactions are done with the password book handy .
Hope this helps .
Cheers .

Many years ago i used to keep only certain password combos for all websites. And everything was stored inside me.
But ever since password expiry thing came into existence and that we cannot use old ones I completely shifted to lastpass 6 yrs ago after trying tons of managers.
I also used to store passwords on my phone but in some jumbled format so even if I lost my phone the thief wont be able to guess it anyhow.

Back