How effective is setting up a virtual server for open vpn on windows machine for personal use only.

princeoo7

On a Journey called Life :P
Skilled
I want to secure all the data incoming and outgoing from my system. How good of the option is the Ubuntu open vpn setup ?

I am a noob here so please share your knowledge on the same.

I'm not too familiar with this stuff, but you should look up Ubuntu 20.04 latest with the new fangled "WireGuard" module. You can google for wireguard tutorials.

It's supposed to be way more simple than open vpn and others.

went through the guide. so, they are showing how to configure openvpn using certificates. its always a good idea to connect to the vpn using client certificates instead of username password. but on the other hand, if you are running this server in a cloud setting, you have to do a lot more in terms of locking down the system with iptables. btw, you want to connect to your home computer from outside, like a cafe. right?

Scalable solution - Pfsense

Edit: This can be used to secure single/multiple computers/networks. It should also give more visibility into your network.

If your only looking to hide traffic from your ISP, then buy vpn service and use it.

Your question is a bit broad. Securing your network needs to be done at different levels. It depends on what your use case is.
May be you could be more specific on what you are trying to secure.

Last edited:
Back