How good is B.tech IT??

Speedz

Adept
Hey guys it's time for me to choose a college and as of the first list I am being offered Information Technology.Pretty much possible it would be upgraded to Computer Sciences but just want to know in case the scenario doesn't arise, how is IT as a subject.

From the syllabus there is considerable simmalarities with Computer Sciences but still anyone with a first hand experience can help me out??

Asking this here coz i believe we have a lot of engineers out here.

IT is nearly the same as computer science. In some colleges people who don't get CSE opt for IT and in others people opt for IT because there is no subject as CSE. It totally depends on the college, as long as you are taking the top 20-30 colleges in India it should be decent. Whatever you do try not to fall below Top 50-100 in India.

Is that a B.Tech in IT or B.E in IT or a B.Sc.(IT)?

I dont quite recollect which college here in Mumbai offers B.Tech, but I cant really help a lot with respect to B.E or B.Tech. Let me know if you need some information incase it was B.Sc(IT).

PS: Do name the college you are getting into also. Might also help you decide about it.

The college is Symbiosis Institute of Technology Pune, reputed university but not too reputed college, as it is new. The college has good infrastructure and faculty but as you can imagine being new it doesn't have much of a name.

I agree with rite that i should probably look at the top 100 colleges in India but due to certain personal issues i coulddn't perform too well this year and am not in any mood to waste a year in a drop.

So. keep rolling in the comments.

N yea it is B.Tech.

I have researched a great deal about Engg colleges and AFAIK that college definitely does not make it to the top 100.

After top 100 it might make more sense to go for a good arts or science or commerce degree.

Get in any college you want.. Work hard, get into projects and you will get good job.. Yes IIT is the best but how many of us make it to IIT ? I would say get into FOSS projects try clearing GSOC and you will have as good resume as an IIt'an ;)

You will get good job.. All that matter is you not the college.. Don't forget you have to work extra diligently in such colleges.

@rite dude i know "that" college isn't in the top 100 but trust me it does have the potential to get there, and you will know that once you see it and the faculty.This is just it's second year so definately it isn't in the top 100 list.Anyways as long as i am happy with the institute i don't think anyone else's opinion matters to me.

Back at the topic, chuck the institute but if i get I.T. i should take it right??

Speedz said:
I agree with rite that i should probably look at the top 100 colleges in India but due to certain personal issues i coulddn't perform too well this year and am not in any mood to waste a year in a drop.

imo when you don't have too many choices the best bet is to go for whatever course you can get in the best possible college over your ideal course.

Speedz said:
@rite dude i know "that" college isn't in the top 100 but trust me it does have the potential to get there, and you will know that once you see it and the faculty.This is just it's second year so definately it isn't in the top 100 list.Anyways as long as i am happy with the institute i don't think anyone else's opinion matters to me.

Back at the topic, chuck the institute but if i get I.T. i should take it right??

First of all, I would recommend that you take rite's post's with a pinch of salt or even better not take it seriously at all. Considering that is the infamous Techboi, he does not know what he is talking about.

As long as the college is recognized and affiliated to a good university (Thats where you get the degree from), its all fine, Don't join any college with the expectation that it will have good faculty or that you will be taught everything. You are on your own once you join B.Tech (especially if its CS, IT or even EC)

Secondly, the difference between IT and CS groups is subject to the university offering the degree. There will be minor differences in the curriculum in places where both degrees are offered, but for the most part, its the same thing. In the university where I got my degree, difference between the two groups was mainly from the third year and only a small bit in the second year. While CS has more core subjects like Electrical and Electronics, Digital Logic, Microprocessor programming, Principles of programming languages, Compiler design, Neural Networks and Image Processing etc, the IT group had more industry oriented subjects and programming stuff. Their subjects were like, COBOL and a bit of mainframes, ERP, Advanced databases, Java Programming and the like. In the end it does not make too much of a difference. If you are interested in the subject, you are going to learn stuff anyway.

Just for the record, I have a B.Tech (CS) and M.Tech (IT) (Specialization in Intelligent Systems). My M.Tech classmates were a mix of B.Tech's belonging to CS, IT and EC groups. The same holds true for the other M.Tech (IT) specialization in Wireless Communications at our college which had a mix of B.Tech's in EC, CS and IT.

Thanks alot Lord, yours was one feedback i was looking for.

Wish i could rep you, but the new system doesn't allow for it.

Appreciated.

Glad to be of help buddy... :)

One more thing I would like to add, whatever group you get enlisted in, do make it a point to get a decent grip on Engineering Math and subjects like Digital Logic, Computer Architecture and Microprocessor programming, Operating Systems and Architecture, Theory of Computation and Compiler design principles even if they are not covered well in your curriculum.

They come pretty handy for M.Tech and PhD as well as for Interviews of biggies like Microsoft and Adobe and I am not talking about campus interviews here. I saw more than a few 3~4 year experienced guys getting stumped in Adobe's preliminary test where they see unexpected questions about Transistors and IC's RAM/ROM Interfacing, and math problems related to Operating System design as well as questions related to Finite Automata and Compiler design.

Back