Android How important is NFC these days (in India)?

PoBoy

Skilled
If a mobile does not have NFC, what would you miss out on? Needed for UPI/digi-payments etc.?

Someone I know is considering the Xiaomi A1.

I have seen very slow adoption of Samsung Pay, hence it would be prudent to say that adoption would be slow.

EDIT - I meant to say Samsung Pay, Visa Paywave, etc

Last edited:
Many banks are providing debit cards which have NFC inbuilt. I have a Yes bank card which has NFC(card arrived just a month back as part of upgrading all magnetic strip cards to Chip based cards). Also have a Kotak Zeta card (equivalent to HDFC Food Card) which has a NFC tag.

Don't really know what extra Samsung pay provides.

Many banks are providing debit cards which have NFC inbuilt. I have a Yes bank card which has NFC(card arrived just a month back as part of upgrading all magnetic strip cards to Chip based cards). Also have a Kotak Zeta card (equivalent to HDFC Food Card) which has a NFC tag.

Don't really know what extra Samsung pay provides.

I have that, and I dont see many places using them. Even at McD.

managed to use NFC in my office on a trip to Chennai at the cafeteria, pretty smooth. I am based in BLR and see very limited NFC terminals, but paying for tea, coffee and snacks ( <100 charges ) using NFC was a pleasantly thrilling experience - the cheap thrills of life types :p

NFC on mobiles is pretty lacking in terms of usage in India, I have some NFC tags at my place - which have pre-programmed instructions.
example my shitpot has a NFC Tag nearby and once i get my mobile near i get through my news apps and stock price details while doing my morning duty.
;)

Samsung pay works everywhere because its also uses MST which is the technology used in legacy terminals. Also now a days lots of mobile payment terminals are coming with NFC, like the one used by amazon delivery guys.

Back