dovakhiin

Adept
Hi,
This is my current set up-

AMD FX 8350
AMD R9 290x Crossfire
Seasonic 850W
Custom liquid cooling for CPU and GPU

I'm looking to buy a PSU compatible with this cable set i recently purchased here.

http://www.corsair.com/en-in/professional-individually-sleeved-dc-cable-kit-type-3-generation-2-blue

Here is the list of compatible PSUs
  • AXI Series – 1500/1200/860/760
  • AX Series – 860/760
  • HX Series – 1050/850/750/650
  • HXi Series – 1000/850/750
  • TXM Series – 850/750/650/550
  • CXM Series – 750/600/500/430
  • RM Series – 1000/850/750/650/550/450
I'm considering HX 1050 , RM 1000W or HXi 1000W

The only PSU readily available is RM 1000W. Do you think it's safe to purchase it.

I've heard the OEM is not so great and the capacitors are inferior to HX series.

Thanks in advance.

Tagging a couple of guys who might have this knowledge
@Crazy_Eddy , @cranky

Why are you looking for an upgrade?

The 290x has a TDP of 300W vs The 6970 @250W. This means 100W for two cards (comparing to my setup which also has a full custom loop etc).

The maximum load I've ever seen is 700W including the monitor (which draws 200W at full tilt). Let's say 550W for the rig alone, once you add 100W more it's 650W. This is 76% load, a little highish but not enough to faze the PSU.

FWIW 99% of my games never manage to push the consumption above 550W. With that same monitor, so 400W or so for the rig alone.

I am pretty sure the 850 can handle the additional 100W just fine, and it will still be at its best, efficiency wise.

The RM series is a major renaissance for CWT, where they manage to equal the Seasonics on ripple, so the caps must be good enough. Not sure about fan noise, efficiency, overload behaviour etc.

Why are you looking for an upgrade?

The 290x has a TDP of 300W vs The 6970 @250W. This means 100W for two cards (comparing to my setup which also has a full custom loop etc).

The maximum load I've ever seen is 700W including the monitor (which draws 200W at full tilt). Let's say 550W for the rig alone, once you add 100W more it's 650W. This is 76% load, a little highish but not enough to faze the PSU.

FWIW 99% of my games never manage to push the consumption above 550W. With that same monitor, so 400W or so for the rig alone.

I am pretty sure the 850 can handle the additional 100W just fine, and it will still be at its best, efficiency wise.

The RM series is a major renaissance for CWT, where they manage to equal the Seasonics on ripple, so the caps must be good enough. Not sure about fan noise, efficiency, overload behaviour etc.

Hi there are a few reasons I'm considering this upgrade for.

Firstly, i've already purchased that cable set from a member in TE and they are only compatible with Type 3 pin layout PSUs. My current PSU is not compatible.

My FX 8350 is running at 4.8Ghz at 1.45V. This might be pulling about 180-190W i think. I have hit a thermal barrier.

I intent to fix the thermal issue with possibly an extra pump and/or more rad space. After that i'd like to push my CPU and GPU further.

The PSU seems to be the noisiest part when playing very taxing games like BF4. I'd feel safer if I had some more headroom.

So is the RM 1000 a good option?

I think it could be.

No guarantee that the noise will be any lower.

It just seems quite pointless to add 100W of TDP and only 150W of power, that too a lower quality unit.

Good Luck though.

I've heard the OEM is not so great and the capacitors are inferior to HX series.
Not so much the OEM but the OEM's platform and the choice of components. CWT can make good platforms - the HX 1050/HXi 1000 units are by CWT, and the quality of components used is of a higher grade than the RM series.

The RM 1000 unfortunately has cost cutting evident - its using CapXon caps, and considering there's very minimal heatsinking + the fan doesn't spin up till 40% of the load, the PSU will run fairly hot which should further impact capacitor lifespan.
A Techpowerup review felt the ripple wasn't too great, and the PSU looks to be capable of delivering its rated power only at 40C ambient temps : http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/RM1000/11.html

Last edited:
Thanks Guys.

I think I won't buy the RM 1000. Like @cranky said doesn't make sense buying a lower quality product with just 150W extra power. The low ambient temperature limit is also a big concern.

Corsair HX/HX1000i is proving hard to find here. Will try procuring one from the US or waiting it out I guess.

Corsair AX1200i seems to be the only other easily available option. It is just too expensive and definitely overkill for me.

Back