Graphic Cards How is Sapphire R7 240 with 1GB DDR5?

boogeyman

Adept
Hi Guys,

My Sapphire 5670 1GB GDDR5 is finally giving up. So many times I end up losing my display while the machine is on and I have to turn it off, remove the card from its slot, re-insert it and then start it again. It's served me quite well for 3.5 years and I think it should be reason to change.

I believe my motherboard, MSI 785G-E53 should be able to run Sapphire R7 240 with 1GB DDR5 without much problems as the PCI-E 3.0 is backward compatible with the PCI-E 2.0 on my board. I'm just wondering if this is the right card to go with.

I'm not looking for any high-end performance, just the below:
  • Basic gaming at medium settings probably 1200p and I don't mind 30 FPS either
  • Low power consumption as I run my machine 24x7 most days
  • Full-HD videos without stutter
  • HDMI port

I feel that the card I shortlisted above seems decent enough for my requirements as my budget is only 5K and I'm getting a decent deal for it, here.

Please suggest your thoughts.

Thanks!

R7 240 is actually much weaker than your existing HD5670, and is thus a downgrade.
as evident in this list
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html
so you'd have to choose at least an r7 250

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I would think it is less powerful due to the low power consumption. But, what I'm asking is does it satisfy my requirements mentioned in the bullet-points? I'm not necessarily looking for an "upgrade", just a replacement for the 5670. When I bought the 5670 almost 4 years ago, that was the only option available in the price segment.

Power consumption is overrated. It maybe would matter if you are running titans in SLI in California. Power costs about 15 Rs / KWH there. Here in Mumbai it would be Rs 4 / KWH .
And even in california, it would probably cost you less than an hourly wage in electricity bills for running a heavier card per month. Put that into perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back